Quarantine extended until May 15

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think there is mounting evidence that the "cure" is worse than the disease. 

<SNIP>

The sh*t is going to hit the fan if people are not allowed to get back to work.  I think all of us can think of a phased in plan that should work if it is followed.

There is mounting evidence that the 'cure' is worse than the disease is now but what that ignores is the fact that if lockdowns do not continue then the disease will become worse than it is now.  The real question is how much worse will it become?  It's easy to say now, from the middle of the lockdown, that deaths are low.  But if we go to an open model then that will change and it might well be too late to reverse path (see the UK for an example of what happens when you change tactics mid stream).

There are two ways to deal with the 'allowing people back to work' problem (and I agree it is a huge problem), one is to rejig the work places so that social distancing is implemented at the work places.  Things like McDonalds and Jollibee allowing only take away not eat in.  Supermarkets putting tape on the floor where people stand 1.5 meters apart when queing for the cash register and only allowing one person from a house hold into a supermarket to do the shopping.  Those sorts of things allow the restaurant workers and supermarket workers to work and can be implemented in a lot of industries. 

The other way is to allow distance working, industries like call centers and Education can work remotely if the companies provide equipment like laptops and internet hot spots.  That is of course more difficult in poorer countries than it is in rich countries.

Personally I think any phased in return to work should start with industries where social distancing can be implemented effectively and monitoring of case rates should be a priority, if new case rates don't increase then (and only then) should further relaxation of lockdowns be considered.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Look at human nature, the other day Illio mayor removed the liquor ban only to reinstated it the next day as panic buying hit the shops. People were loading up shopping carts everywhere so perhaps a gradual relax of liquor ban  restrictions and  maybe on the quantity per purchase until there is no need for panic buying.

But on the other hand I guess a day or 2 of panic buying would have been about the end of it as money would have ran out and many would have enough supplies for awhile.

Hard to know. Perhaps foreigners should have the first pickings of a relaxed liquor ban :whistling:

I'm in Iloilo and I think the situation that occurred was inevitable and avoidable. Clearly people were going to bulk buy as their stocks had been depleted during the ban. The threat of reintroducing the ban was clear which encouraged people to get as much as  they could whilst they could.  In hindsight stricter limits could have been implemented and strictly followed.  And, as said above, i'm pretty sure the 1st day was always going to be a bun-fight and maybe some patience would have paid off.  

Mick
Posted
Posted

I agree with phasing in work, DU30 mentioned it last night, if they can provide social distancing like construction works. Let's see what he comes up with, also in a country Like here. I think I read somewhere the average age is 25, allow those between 21 and 60 out, see how it goes with this herd immunity, if the most at risk are below 20 and above 60, keep them locked down as they are doing now, while data can show herd immunity is working..... Or not

• Like 2

Youngheart
Posted
Posted

What social distancing? I walked to SM - weekly shop. On the way 20 there were people  waiting in outside loto - No distancing.

Barangay HQ had another 20 people sitting outside waiting. They were sitting knee to knee in a 10X10 foot area. The Barangay is supposed to police this?

I go to the top of my Condo ( nice and quiet up there and empty ). Look down into the closed off streets beside  us. Kids are running around and there are a dozen or more adults mingling and talking.

What Quarantine?

• Sad 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Youngheart said:

What social distancing? I walked to SM - weekly shop. On the way 20 there were people  waiting in outside loto - No distancing.

Barangay HQ had another 20 people sitting outside waiting. They were sitting knee to knee in a 10X10 foot area. The Barangay is supposed to police this?

I go to the top of my Condo ( nice and quiet up there and empty ). Look down into the closed off streets beside  us. Kids are running around and there are a dozen or more adults mingling and talking.

What Quarantine?

Certainly different in the supermarket in the IT park. Social distancing plus checking passes before entry.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Supermarkets putting tape on the floor where people stand 1.5 meters apart when queing for the cash register and only allowing one person from a house hold into a supermarket to do the shopping.

One meter here. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

One meter here. 

One meter distance is arguably enough to mostly stop infection from people breathing out the virus who are wearing a mask.

It needs larger distances if people aren't wearing masks or are coughing.

Then there's the space issue, if you make people stand too far apart they can end up in a close standing crowd waiting outside which defeats the purpose of the social distancing inside the shop.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

One meter distance is arguably enough to mostly stop infection from people breathing out the virus who are wearing a mask.

It needs larger distances if people aren't wearing masks or are coughing.

Then there's the space issue, if you make people stand too far apart they can end up in a close standing crowd waiting outside which defeats the purpose of the social distancing inside the shop.

Well here at the moment the law says you must wear a mask and I would say that will be the law for some time. You can not enter a supermarket or mall etc without one. Nor can you be in a public place without one unless you are a rich foreigner resisting arrest in Makati the other day which probably wont end well for him.

I can only speak for my area but chairs are spaced in a long queue at the correct distance for waiting and everything is done the way it's meant to be .  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Happy days ? Or just someone decided to put words in the mayors mouth as it says,, The new executive order, however, is silent on selling of liquor unlike in earlier EO that included ban on selling.

liquor ban lifted.PNG

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Source or opinion?  Where is it being ridiculed by media, this forum is the first place I become aware of using ozone it?  And I do not think ozone was ever mentioned in the controversial press conference if that is what you are referring to.  

Source was the medial journal I linked. I guarantee you my opinion is not important enough to put in a published medical journal.

Bleach was never mentioned either yet that is what the press are saying. The word used was "disinfectant" Ozone is a disinfectant that can be injected, as is Hydrogen Peroxide - which was used successfully against the Spanish Flu. If you read the article linked then you would see that it is a proper study in a proper medical journal.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic