Quarantine extended until May 15

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe I missed it even after re-reading your post a few times?

From what I have read, massive and comprehensive testing also seems like a tool to greatly improve health and to reduce exposure?

You didn't misread my post... I forgot to include widespread testing :(  

And you are totally correct, having wide spread testing is critical to controlling outbreaks in areas.

I have read some Facebook posts recently where the Philippines have opened up some new testing centers but they're starting from a very low base so I worry about their ability to do 'wide spread' testing.  Even more so given that there is effectively a bidding war between rich first world countries for test kits, reagents and equipment.

Without effective and available testing it is much harder to track and trace infected people.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

You didn't misread my post... I forgot to include widespread testing :(  

And you are totally correct, having wide spread testing is critical to controlling outbreaks in areas.

I have read some Facebook posts recently where the Philippines have opened up some new testing centers but they're starting from a very low base so I worry about their ability to do 'wide spread' testing.  Even more so given that there is effectively a bidding war between rich first world countries for test kits, reagents and equipment.

Without effective and available testing it is much harder to track and trace infected people.

We are supposed to start testing in Subic Bay tomorrow.  They outfitted part of a Red Cross facility to house the equipment and are supposed to be capable of testing 2000 samples a day.  Samples will be collected elsewhere.  Rumor has it that if you want a "peace of mind" test it will cost p3500. 

https://iorbitnews.com/covid-19-mass-testing-in-subic-freeport-begins-early-may/?fbclid=IwAR047-QN2StZlAJAAwVActdrD_h3KhxIVJY9U7SciyqQ4afStuV4H_Choyw

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

And, actually, Geoff, one more point? I believe the testing has to be the latest and greatest instant result or quick result testing, IF it is accurate or very nearly so?

Does anyone know if that is available yet here in Philippines?

Edited by Tommy T.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And, actually, Geoff, one more point? I believe the testing has to be the latest and greatest instant result or quick result testing, IF it is accurate or very nearly so?

Does anyone know if that is available yet here in Philippines?

There are two basic types of testing (various companies do testing different ways but there are two basic types as of now).

The first tests developed were PCR tests which tests for the presence of the virus in a sample (most commonly taken using a pharyngeal swab), this takes some time to process (up to days).

The second type of test developed tests for the presence of antibodies in the sample, this commonly uses a finger prick onto a sample holder (which often looks like a pregnancy test strip) which is then put into an analysis machine.  I think you're talking about the second type.

And I don't know if they're available in the Philippine yet.  Some countries have had issues with their reliability, the UK sent back a large order because they weren't reliable enough and Australia have restricted their use to being administered by trained doctors (just two examples).

China and South Korea seem to be the main supplier of these tests.  The Chinese claim that transport, storage and handling of the tests is critical and unless done properly results will be poorer (it's possible they're correct).

Annecdotely the South Korean tests seem to have had less... issues (but they're in shorter supply and are more expensive).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

There are two basic types of testing (various companies do testing different ways but there are two basic types as of now).

The first tests developed were PCR tests which tests for the presence of the virus in a sample (most commonly taken using a pharyngeal swab), this takes some time to process (up to days).

The second type of test developed tests for the presence of antibodies in the sample, this commonly uses a finger prick onto a sample holder (which often looks like a pregnancy test strip) which is then put into an analysis machine.  I think you're talking about the second type.

And I don't know if they're available in the Philippine yet.  Some countries have had issues with their reliability, the UK sent back a large order because they weren't reliable enough and Australia have restricted their use to being administered by trained doctors (just two examples).

China and South Korea seem to be the main supplier of these tests.  The Chinese claim that transport, storage and handling of the tests is critical and unless done properly results will be poorer (it's possible they're correct).

Annecdotely the South Korean tests seem to have had less... issues (but they're in shorter supply and are more expensive).

Yes, the Chinese stuff has proven very problematic. Czech, Turkey and Spain all sent their tests back to China. Denmark sent PPE equipment back to China too.

US is ramping up production and their President said in a recent presser they were continuing to ramp up CV gear and export around the world.

Hopefull the US tests are availble here. Imagine going through hospital quarantine and additional testing from a false positive from one of those Chinese tests that were70% inaccurate!

Edited by AusExpat

graham59
Posted
Posted

Well there's a surprise. Cheap mass-produced junk from China turns out to be unreliable/FAKE  ? 

Perhaps we should have 11 year-olds running our countries. 

• Like 2

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

And here we go, Funeral Directors in NYC are saying that non covid deaths are listed as covid, and a Supreme Court justice is now involved as one of her family  was listed as CV when it wasn't as attested by a independant autopsy, no wonder the NYC figures are so much higher than California

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/breaking-funeral-directors-in-covid-19-epicenter-doubt-legitimacy-of-deaths/

Add that to all the doctors and nurses coming forward now on twitter and instagram.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AusExpat said:

And here we go, Funeral Directors in NYC are saying that non covid deaths are listed as covid, and a Supreme Court justice is now involved as one of her family  was listed as CV when it wasn't as attested by a independant autopsy, no wonder the NYC figures are so much higher than California

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/breaking-funeral-directors-in-covid-19-epicenter-doubt-legitimacy-of-deaths/

Add that to all the doctors and nurses coming forward now on twitter and instagram.

Anyone would think it's being done to make someone look incompetant. :whistling:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Anyone would think it's being done to make someone look incompetant. :whistling:

Seems unlikely that one million plus would get sick and over 60 thousand people die just to make someone look incompetent.   But then again I don't follow twitter or instagram to get the real truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:smile: Good news here on Negros Oriental, We moved to GCQ ;

Quarenteen  new rules.png [Photo courtesy of  Mrs @sonjack2847 ]( Simplecia)

Liquor Ban Lifted but Home Drinking only, be a while till the Guys can get together again :sad:

• Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic