Quarantine extended until May 15

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

The way this seems to be playing out is that mostly older folks like us will kick the bucket. Not sure if I mind it that much for myself, I've lived a good life. Mother nature is in charge now. Not some imaginary boss in the sky!:sad:

I think our best bet is to hunker down in place and minimize contact with as many people as possible and wait for a vaccine. 

Initially they were saying 2021 but a couple of research groups are aiming for September this year to start production (assuming they test out).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jaybee said:

I don't see anybody saying this, everybody is agreeing that easing should be gradual so I don't know what you are trying to say but total 5 dead in Cebu and total lockdown? They should start easing now!

Sorry Jaybee... I still disagree with you...

Think about 5 dead in Cebu... How would you feel if you were one of those?

Then take the 5 and multiply that by the "estimated" 2.5 person infection rate So 5 x 2.5 = 12.5 just one day on... then second day = 31+ And then run along and within just a week or so, the "death rate" could be well over 200... Are you so cavalier to believe and agree that this is okay? So maybe you are younger than 60 and maybe in perfect health... ? This just doesn't work for me... Maybe I am just stupid and old fashioned? .... I think you might think differently if you are at risk?

In my imperfect reasoning... I believe super cautious easing should be the rule of the day. Think again... maybe you are 50 years old? So... what difference do a few weeks make to you? They mean nothing to me... Sorry... but now I am getting cranky about this discussion.... done now... Go ahead and knock yourself out about how to kill all of us oldies......

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I believe super cautious easing should be the rule of the day

I hear what your saying Tommy, I really do. But where do we draw the line? Until a vaccine is developed, (let alone distributed) my gut tells me this virus will be with us for quite awhile. Do we keep things shutdown until then?

We know enough now that avoiding contamination is relatively easy, and as you say if a person is susceptible extra "peroneal" precautions can be taken. But that is up to the individual. IMHO the "state" has an overall responsibility to avoid general and massive spread. (example Samboloc here in Manila, big hot spot and is totally locked down) but should not keep things bolted down in areas where cases are relatively few.

Then again I am a yank, most of us believe in the responsibility of the individual and not the state..just the way we are wired I suppose:smile:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jaybee... I still disagree with you...

Think about 5 dead in Cebu... How would you feel if you were one of those?

Actually 8 for the whole Cebu island with one today in Carcar. 

In my imperfect reasoning... I believe super cautious easing should be the rule of the day. Think again... maybe you are 50 years old? So... what difference do a few weeks make to you? They mean nothing to me... Sorry... but now I am getting cranky about this discussion.... done now... Go ahead and knock yourself out about how to kill all of us oldies......

Have to laugh about this whole thing. I have so called friend who deactivated his Facebook account because no one or hardly anyone would agree with him on the subject of lockdown. Some people dont get it and never will but they certainly do think about themselves a lot.

Im sure in the next few weeks things will be relaxed some, some areas already have started but nothing will be the same for quite awhile yet.

Look at human nature, the other day Illio mayor removed the liquor ban only to reinstated it the next day as panic buying hit the shops. People were loading up shopping carts everywhere so perhaps a gradual relax of liquor ban  restrictions and  maybe on the quantity per purchase until there is no need for panic buying.

But on the other hand I guess a day or 2 of panic buying would have been about the end of it as money would have ran out and many would have enough supplies for awhile.

Hard to know. Perhaps foreigners should have the first pickings of a relaxed liquor ban :whistling:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, scott h said:

I hear what your saying Tommy, I really do. But where do we draw the line? Until a vaccine is developed, (let alone distributed) my gut tells me this virus will be with us for quite awhile. Do we keep things shutdown until then?

We know enough now that avoiding contamination is relatively easy, and as you say if a person is susceptible extra "peroneal" precautions can be taken. But that is up to the individual. IMHO the "state" has an overall responsibility to avoid general and massive spread. (example Samboloc here in Manila, big hot spot and is totally locked down) but should not keep things bolted down in areas where cases are relatively few.

Then again I am a yank, most of us believe in the responsibility of the individual and not the state..just the way we are wired I suppose:smile:

And I hear what you are saying, Scott... loud and clear...

I honestly have no clue where to draw any line... L and I agree that the world order has changed - maybe forever?

I must say that I am very impressed with the reaction here in Davao City...  The mayor (pres's daughter, of course) has been strict and solid in her words and actions.... It seems to me, a much stronger and positive reaction than what I have seen in USA... But now I may be getting too much into politics for this forum? If so, I appologize...

So I really don't have an answer... So I guess L and I will just continue to self quarantine with masks, excessive hand washings and so on... That is our choice. I just hope the "powers that be" do not go too far too soon with relaxations of restrictions in USA and elsewhere... I think we will see very soon how this all works out. And I truly hope we have learned some lessons from the 1917 Spanish Flu pandemic... if not, then I think we may relearn some lessons quite soon...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

peterfe
Posted
Posted

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here (Cebu province, village - over 65s and under 18s not allowed out) people seem to be easing the lockdown themselves now. In the beginning people seemed afraid of the police, only letting their children play very near their house and telling me, a senior citizen, not to walk in the countryside any more. But the weeks have passed, nobody has seen any police cars on the main road driving at normal speed, and now the kids fly their kites in a field in full view of the main road. There is a police checkpoint at the entrance to the village but only for a few fixed hours every day, so people take their children or grandparents on short trips, first in cars but now also on motorbikes, i.e. much more visible, at the times when they know the checkpoint isn't operating.

This is a fairly small community, with a lot of gossip, and many people have an extended family member in the barangay or the police. It's almost as if they have insider knowledge, that the lockdown really is going to be eased on May 15th in this area, and not just extended again.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, AusExpat said:

There are cures, they are tested. This is ONE reference, the UV light has been used successfully in extreme Covid cases in a few places too. You only need ot do 5-7% of a persons blood for it to work too. And yet is it being completely ignore and ridiculed by the legacy media????

Source or opinion?  Where is it being ridiculed by media, this forum is the first place I become aware of using ozone it?  And I do not think ozone was ever mentioned in the controversial press conference if that is what you are referring to.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hard to know. Perhaps foreigners should have the first pickings of a relaxed liquor ban :whistling:

I should be okay, most Filipinos do not seem to like good scotch.  And I never drink bad rum (like one prolific poster here).  :tongue:

• Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I should be okay, most Filipinos do not seem to like good scotch.  And I never drink bad rum (like one prolific poster here).  :tongue:

Me neither... I just drink paint thinner!:shooter:

• Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic