How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

My UK Bank sends the card by normal post, no special delivery.  When it arrives here I have to go to an ATM and enter my PIN to activate the card.  If this is not done the card is just a piece of plastic of no use to anyone.  I don't see any security issue with that procedure.  

My UK bank will only send credit cards by normal post. Trouble is it's taking 6-7 months to get here. Asked them if i paid for a courier service, they said can't do that.

Oh well, should get them by Christmas. 

graham59
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, jimeve said:

My UK bank will only send credit cards by normal post. Trouble is it's taking 6-7 months to get here. Asked them if i paid for a courier service, they said can't do that.

Oh well, should get them by Christmas. 

As is probably the case with most UK banks.

That is why gave my son's (UK) address, and had him send the UNACTIVATED card on to me here...via the Balikbayan box.

Couriers (except those used by the banks) probably have a blanket ban on handling cards, simply because...how are they supposed to know which cards are already 'activated', and which aren't ? 

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted

4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I have an HSBC account which is World wide. 

You still need an address on the account, and I'm talking specifically about US banks. Also you have an international HSBC account in the PH linked, so that would be a reason you'd be able to get the foreign card sent to the PH.

4 hours ago, Explorer said:

My Schwab was not international, Citibank and Chase will also send to international address, I travelled alot, never had problems getting cards.

Credit or debit cards? Etrade refused, Capital One refused, even Amex refused. I can't remember what Chase said, this was awhile ago.

Are you adding addresses to your online account, and then having them sent there? Or just giving any current address to a service rep in a call center?

bigdaddyo
Posted
Posted

Chase bank sent me a new card here after some fraud activity was detected on the account.  As much as I appreciated their security to prevent any losses by me and them, getting the card here was scary for me.  They would only send the card by the U.S. Postal service.  I had no problem with that, it was once it arrived in the Philippines it would be handed to the Philippines postal service.   I told the customer service agent I would never receive the card and to please send it by Fed-Ex, UPS, or DHL.  My request was refused, I even offered to pay the shipping charges.  Got transferred to a supervisor and they said their system was not set up to use anyone but the USPS.  I told here I would probably be calling them to report fraud on the account if they sent it that way.  

I have an alert placed on the account that anytime it’s used I get a text message, and I monitored the account almost daily.  After 3 1/2 months the card finally arrived safely and the envelope perfectly sealed.  I was about to call the bank to tell them the card never arrived and got distracted by other concerns.  I must apologize to the Philippines postal service, even though looking at the postmarks it sat in Manila for about 6 weeks, before being sent to the city I live in.  

Had another card from a different bank sent to me by my son.  I use his address for that bank account.  He sent by DHL, and arrived in about 2weeks.  It probably would have arrived quicker if not for the lockdowns during that time.  He just put it in a document envelope with some other items I received at his address.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bigdaddyo said:

Chase bank sent me a new card here after some fraud activity was detected on the account.  As much as I appreciated their security to prevent any losses by me and them, getting the card here was scary for me.  They would only send the card by the U.S. Postal service.  I had no problem with that, it was once it arrived in the Philippines it would be handed to the Philippines postal service.   I told the customer service agent I would never receive the card and to please send it by Fed-Ex, UPS, or DHL.  My request was refused, I even offered to pay the shipping charges.  Got transferred to a supervisor and they said their system was not set up to use anyone but the USPS.  I told here I would probably be calling them to report fraud on the account if they sent it that way.  

I have an alert placed on the account that anytime it’s used I get a text message, and I monitored the account almost daily.  After 3 1/2 months the card finally arrived safely and the envelope perfectly sealed.  I was about to call the bank to tell them the card never arrived and got distracted by other concerns.  I must apologize to the Philippines postal service, even though looking at the postmarks it sat in Manila for about 6 weeks, before being sent to the city I live in.  

Had another card from a different bank sent to me by my son.  I use his address for that bank account.  He sent by DHL, and arrived in about 2weeks.  It probably would have arrived quicker if not for the lockdowns during that time.  He just put it in a document envelope with some other items I received at his address.

I strongly suggest that you use your son or other relative or a commercial mail service to handle your personal and/or business mail.

I use a mailing service in Seattle and the service is stellar! Whenever I get an accumulation of mail or anything serious, I just instruct them to forward it to me via DHL. I have never had a problem with that and - up until the scourge struck - mail always arrived at the local office within less than a week...

Just a suggestion for you Big...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Just a suggestion for you Big...

Your suggestion sounds exactly like what he said he already did in the last paragraph of his post.  I'm sure he is thrilled that you approve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Your suggestion sounds exactly like what he said he already did in the last paragraph of his post.  I'm sure he is thrilled that you approve.

Hey...nothing like repetitious, re-iteration? Well... it's at least reinforcement of his approach...

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Shady said:

You still need an address on the account, and I'm talking specifically about US banks. Also you have an international HSBC account in the PH linked, so that would be a reason you'd be able to get the foreign card sent to the PH.

You're trying to square a circle - Snowy is not American and HSBC is not an American bank so it's immaterial how his cards are sent, same as with many of the replies here which are based on British banks/customers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

You're trying to square a circle - Snowy is not American and HSBC is not an American bank so it's immaterial how his cards are sent, same as with many of the replies here which are based on British banks/customers.  

You finally figured out I'm only talking about banks in the US?

As for HSBC, what matters is the address you use to open the account, and, again, I'm talking about US HSBC accounts. I'm sure I could get my US HSBC cards sent to the PH like Snowy did, because we both have PH HSBC accounts linked to our main accounts.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bigdaddyo said:

Got transferred to a supervisor and they said their system was not set up to use anyone but the USPS.

Same message they give when they can't send the cards at all: their 'system is not set up for it'.  Much easier to get a relative or other third party to do it.