How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Explorer said:

I am just curious, how can you access this forum but you cannot access your bank account online? You don't need an app to access your bank account.

For my online I am using TMobile One Unlimited 55+ plan which is giving me unlimited international data and texts. What interesting is that while in the Philippines, the data coverage of my TMobile simcard is frequently much better than my GF's Smart simcard.

To reclarify..... I can and do access all of my banking transactions with my home computer here in the PI, except when my (at present) only computer goes down..... which it did. Lost its use for 2 weeks while in the repair shop. I guess I could have used an possibly insecure cybercafe, but my wife tells me that many of them cater to gamers now. Maybe solely in some local shops. 

So when I lost my reliable and safe VPN tool enhanced home computer for a short time (we sometimes have barangay brownouts as well), if I want money, I have to resort to using a debit or credit card at an ATM as a second resort. That's why its good to have them in your possession, despite infrequent need for me.

For third resort, I would have my daughters or a close friend WU me money, etc, 

Although some keep cash  reserves safely locked up here at home in the event of medical emergency needs or short term system failures, I haven't done that recently, but will now rethink doing that again.

I will follow up on your TMobile one plan to see if it is possible to set it up from here in the PI if I invest in a new smart phone..... or maybe have one of my daughters set it up for me in the States if doable.

Thanks for the tip, Explorer.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I guess I could have used an possibly insecure cybercafe, but my wife tells me that many of them cater to gamers now.

I think you're wise not to have resorted to using such places as who knows what type of security their PCs have, if any, and what sort of stuff they have lurking inside them.  In a dire emergency I'd probably ask a neighbour to use their PC rather than use a cyber cafe.   

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think you're wise not to have resorted to using such places as who knows what type of security their PCs have, if any, and what sort of stuff they have lurking inside them.  In a dire emergency I'd probably ask a neighbour to use their PC rather than use a cyber cafe.   

I did consider that, but it was easier to just pay the extra ATM fee and use my still active Debit card.  You are right in that its good to have some computerized expat friends or neighbors who you can turn to in times of a hardship or problem.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I did consider that, but it was easier to just pay the extra ATM fee and use my still active Debit card.  You are right in that its good to have some computerized expat friends or neighbors who you can turn to in times of a hardship or problem.

For sure.

Despite what numerous members here say, I would still strongly recommend anyone living here for any period of time get a local account IF they can.

• Like 4

Explorer
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

What telecom system is your TMobile accessing when you are here? And are there extra fees for "wandering," or anything else? I don't need this as I have okay service from Smart (Stupid) most of the time and won't be travelling to USA for a long while. Just wondering how that works for you.

It will access Globe, Smart or any other network that is available at the location. It is working almost anywhere in the world, the only country that I was not able to use it is Cuba where American telecomm companies cannot do business. There is no extra fees but there is kind of ratio that you need to keep between domestic and international use but I am not sure they rigorously enforce it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
strvger
Posted
Posted

my card went to my sister in the US who then sent it to me via US mail.  that was first of November.  took 3 months (end of January) to get the card.  i would have to recommend using Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.  they are all used for sending legal papers and similar documents and all are much, much faster than the US/PhilPost mail system.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, strvger said:

my card went to my sister in the US who then sent it to me via US mail.  that was first of November.  took 3 months (end of January) to get the card.  i would have to recommend using Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.  they are all used for sending legal papers and similar documents and all are much, much faster than the US/PhilPost mail system.

ONLY 3 months?  You were lucky - It takes anything from that to 10 months to reach my place! 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Fortunately , HSBC in HK today sent me my new Visa card replacement,  which was due to expire this month. By DHL.  Mailed on Friday.

Some banking systems work better than others.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Fortunately , HSBC in HK today sent me my new Visa card replacement,  which was due to expire this month. By DHL.  Mailed on Friday.

Some banking systems work better than others.

I got my debit card 2 days ago, sent April last year. They have blocked it.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Sad 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, jimeve said:

I got my debit card 2 days ago, sent April last year. They have blocked it.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

OMG ! April to now ????????

I had a friend go through similar, ..received card after 4 months. however on the 3 month mark he was sent mail that said if he didnt activate his card ( the one that was still in the mail) his card would be blocked by said bank.

So one month later his duly blocked card arrived.

• Sad 1