Query to British Embassy Manila re vaccinations for British citizens.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't think there has been any definitive statement as yet on the program here, but I hope they won't make the mistake of not vaccinating  foreigners as that will dilute the benefit of the mass vaccination of locals. I really don't know which way they will jump though - maybe us foreigners will be asked to pay?

Given the trouble getting in and out of the UK, I would not contemplate going back for it, and in any event I wouldn't be on any list so cannot see how I'd be able to get it there.  It's not a "free for all system" back home in the UK. 

Thanks HK Blues, I hadn't seen any info  yet here either, although we have a son working in Seoul south Korea, where they state recently that all will be vaccinated for free including all foreign residents. I wouldn't mind paying for the vaccine if need be.

As far as one going back to their country for shots, I would think that the situation that you describe would be the same in the US.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Thanks HK Blues, I hadn't seen any info  yet here either, although we have a son working in Seoul south Korea, where they state recently that all will be vaccinated for free including all foreign residents. I wouldn't mind paying for the vaccine if need be.

As far as one going back to their country for shots, I would think that the situation that you describe would be the same in the US.

I have a friend working in Thailand, Queenie, and it has been unofficially said that the vaccine will be offered to only Thai nationals in the first instance although foreigners working there and thus paying taxes may be included.  Make of that what you will.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I wouldn't mind paying for the vaccine if need be.

If foreigners are off the list, I imagine those of us who know a nurse or two will be able to pay a special "fee" for consideration.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Check this out..

Now that is a good idea. If I was a cruise line, I would offer a 45 day cruise. Board, get a rapid test, any positives,,,off the ship, put to sea, JAB, float for 30 days, JAB return to dock.

• Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JDDavao said:

If foreigners are off the list, I imagine those of us who know a nurse or two will be able to pay a special "fee" for consideration.

Possibly but how could you be sure that it was actually a Covid vaccination you were getting.

It would be much simpler to substitute something else...

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Possibly but how could you be sure that it was actually a Covid vaccination you were getting.

It would be much simpler to substitute something else...

It had better be Geoff at those prices!

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

It had better be Geoff at those prices!

Hopefully that means they're maintaining the integrity of the cold chain properly.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

How tempting or feasible would it be for some to go back temporarily just to partake of the vaccine?

Very tempting for some, but it depends on each person’s individual situation.  I had this discussion last week with a (senior) friend of mine, so now he is leaving Manila Thursday and hopes to return to Philippines in April after his two jabs. 

Here are some of the factors we discussed for anyone that may be interested.  Of course, this was for the United States - many different issues if returning to some other countries:

Vaccine Availability?  There is no good timeline for getting vaccinated in Ph.  Even if foreigners are treated the same as citizens, my best guess is that even seniors won’t see widespread vaccinations until 2020 Q3 at the very earliest, and it is more likely going to be 2021 Q4.  In the states, depending on the jurisdiction, over 65s are are getting shots now.

Quality of Vaccine:  Only Pfizer and Moderna available in the US for now.  Those are the top choices for me and many people (I know, not everyone!).  

Vaccine Administration:  If using Moderna or Pfizer, some people may have  higher confidence that safety/temperature protocols have been more strictly followed in the US then in some other countries.

Travel to US:  Reasonable restrictions and fares.  US requires a negative test result from a test taken within three calendar days prior to departure (if nonstop flight).  A second test and 10 day quarantine is “suggested” after entry.  Functionally, this time is used to schedule a vaccination appointment (no less then 15 days after arrival).

Timing:  Second vaccine jab 3 or 4 weeks after the first, meaning you will have to be in the US for at least 6 weeks if there was no delay in getting an appointment. 

Returning to Ph:  That’s the wild card.  We know the entry rules now, but who can predict the future?  An open risk.

Downside?

Cost.  Months away from home.  Risk of rule changes delaying return to Philippines. 

Potential Benefit?  No guarantees, but if all goes anywhere close to as planned, will be vaccinated much sooner then if had stayed, with a vaccine he preferred, and with the peace of mind knowing that he now has greatly reduced the chances of becoming severely ill if he contracts Covid-19. 

Again, it is all dependent on personal circumstances and needs.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As expats I think we are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting the vaccine.  I do expect that the larger for profit hospitals will purchase vaccine and make it available to expats and other willing to pay the cost.  There is money to be made by offering vaccine to expats, especially seniors, and hospitals here are not likely to miss the opportunity to increase profits.   Not altruism, just business.  

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic