Gov't beefs up monitoring of foreign retirees in PH

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

After 2 years away I came home to find both vehicles in disrepair, to put it in common speak both cars have been driven without any thought to servicing them

I haven't really enjoyed sending money for servicing the Innova and the Wigo given that I haven't been able to use them for 2 years (I've always been sent itemised receipts without having to ask).

But after hearing other people's experiences it makes me glad that I've got a family member who takes pride in the family vehicles and who has a good level of mechanical knowledge.

The problem of course with not doing regular servicing is that it can cause mechanical damage that doesn't get reversed by just 'change oil' at a later date but there are so many people (not just in the Phils) that don't get that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

SMWBO papa was a taxi driver until recently (the income of taxi drivers crashed during the pandemic) and he has always organized the vehicle cleaning, change oil, repairs, smoke test and helps with the LTO.  

He takes pride in getting it done well and not wasting the family money which comes in useful so I sort of get the best of both world... a 'fixer' and I don't have to pay (ok... a bottle of red horse haha).

Completely different scenario compared to mine. If i operated a family owned taxi, van, jeep,  tricycle  i would do the registration and other jobs myself, as paying someone while i sat doing nothing would be complete waste of time and money, as its not difficult just time consuming. 

Nice to hear you have someone in the family to do these jobs.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

For me, I wouldn't consider paying a family member if they were doing a favour but the examples being given here are beyond that - they are getting actual work done and of course they're going to be paid and a little extra on top. It's like mate's rates in the UK in reverse. 

We've never gotten family to do any work because it's never cropped up. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gas said:

...as paying someone while i sat doing nothing would be complete waste of time and money, as its not difficult just time consuming.

Which is exactly the point I was making earlier in this thread.:whistling:

Gas
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep, I get it that for many it's just more practical to pay someone a small fee to do a mundane and routine thing and that's cool but it's more the situation where that is the default choice regardless i.e. with the Annual Report for my neighbour where they paid a fixer/service provider to...uhmmm hold his hand when he went to BI to sign in as his personal appearance was required anyway?  

Where time is an issue but money not, I 100% get it but I'm more in the other camp!  

I'm also in the other camp! In 25 years of living and working here i have never knowingly payed a government official any bribes.    

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gas said:

I'm also in the other camp! In 25 years of living and working here i have never knowingly payed a government official any bribes.    

I'm only 7 years in but, like you, have never oiled any wheels. Then again, I've never had to nor tried to.

Without wishing to harp on, I say again there is a culture here of wanting to circumvent the system even when it's totally not necessary. 

Gas
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Which is exactly the point I was making earlier in this thread.:whistling:

I have noticed that locals seem to love the idea of getting a fixer - maybe it makes them feel part of the "elite"?

My point is most locals don't like the idea of using a fixer :whistling: Some do but the majority don't like parting with anymore money than that have too. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gas said:

I have noticed that locals seem to love the idea of getting a fixer - maybe it makes them feel part of the "elite"?

My point is most locals don't like the idea of using a fixer :whistling: Some do but the majority don't like parting with anymore money than that have too. 

I was generalising.

If we compare the situation here to back home - using fixers/service providers is way less common back in the UK.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, Gas said:

I am not a retiree but the police do come around every few weeks and ask for a picture of me standing next to one of their officers. Never really asked in detail what its about, as i know they are just obeying orders from someone higher up and i personally don't have a problem with it.

Probably to give to the media when they arrest you on false charges. Best to get the photo session done while all are present. :mocking: