SRRV Medical in Makati?

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think a large part of reason, here and other countries, is that they don't want something spreading to the local population (TB, AIDS, etc).  While those diseases already exist here, no reason to allow in a known carrier who may spread it to others.

I understand that part but it really doesn't make any difference in my opinion.

Tourists are probably a bigger risk of spread diseases than people living there permanently, in my opinion.

• Like 2

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

The guys I know in Cebu since 2011 who had SRRV, all except 1 downgraded to tourist visa after some years. Worth to mention: all waited more than 1 year to get their deposit back. Wifes and Atty's involved, didn't help.

Make me question: why some are willing to deposit so much money, for (no) so little in return?

Stay more than 3 years in country, not very likely is it?

See family overseas, boredom, or serious medical issue within 3 years, all likely why one would not normally stay 3+ years in country.

Driver license is a breeze, whatever route one choose.

Regular employee, do anyone know a foreigner who actually works for a company here?

3 semi-expat friends opened their own business in the Philippines on tourist visa, all business ideas lasted less than 4 years.

Import household goods, furniture, most will not last long in asian climate and humidity, don't forget the ants, and the shipping and possible damages or theft / loss.

Question: Any real true advantage that most will actually use, that make the deposit worthwhile???

(Asking for a friend 😃)

In comparison, thai non o (retirement) renewed yearly is similar to 2,900 peso only, unless a immigration officer stear you towards a agent. 

Edited by CebuAndy
Typo
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, CebuAndy said:

The guys I know in Cebu since 2011 who had SRRV, all except 1 downgraded to tourist visa after some years. Worth to mention: all waited more than 1 year to get their deposit back. Wifes and Atty's involved, didn't help.

Make me question: why some are willing to deposit so much money, for (no) so little in return?

See family overseas, boredom, or serious medical issue within 3 years, both likely why one would not normally stay 3+ years in country.

Regular employee, do anyone know a foreigner who actually works for a company here?

3 semi-expat friends opened their own business in the Philippines on tourist visa, all business ideas lasted less than 4 years.

Import household goods, furniture, most will not last long in asian climate and humidity, don't forget the ants, and the shipping and possible damages or theft / loss.

Question: Any real true advantage that most will actually use, that make the deposit worthwhile???

(Asking for a friend 😃)

In comparison, thai non o (retirement) renewed yearly is similar to 2,900 peso only, unless a immigration officer stear you towards a agent. 

I'm on a 13a which brings its own advantages and disadvantages but I suppose for those who choose the SRRV it may be more about the "security" compared to the Tourist visa rather than the actual "benefits" it provides.  

Those who have the SRRV may say differently though.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm on a 13a which brings its own advantages and disadvantages

Either visa can do that BUT let us never forget, a13a is the wife's issue the SRRV is the holders own. I hear many stories that those that do not or cannot marry choose the SRRV. AS we always say YMMV 

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

One benefit that springs to mind is hassle free exit and entry. Plus appears now the 6 month tourist visa is difficult.

Can clearly remembered being cross examined a few times upon re entry on a tourist visa.....No matter re hassles now, plus easily cashed in if one wants to revert to tourist.

That's the two benefits I found, slightly easier to exit / entry and they returned my 20k usd promptly when I came out of the sceme. 

Never been interrogated coming back into the country on the tourist visa. That said, I remember just before Covid some people were reporting changes were afoot... 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Either visa can do that BUT let us never forget, a13a is the wife's issue the SRRV is the holders own. I hear many stories that those that do not or cannot marry choose the SRRV. AS we always say YMMV 

Indeed Jack, that's why I didn't get into comparing 13a with SRRV.  

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Greglm said:

.  What are the benefits of having SRRV?

• Indefinite stay with multiple-entry/ exit privileges

• Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter  [never seen that]

• Assistance in transacting with some government agencies:

• Alien Employment Permit (AEP) from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in case of employment in the Philippines;

• Driver's License from the Land Transportation Office (LTO);

• Tax Exemption/Extension Certificate from the Department of Finance (DoF) in availing the tax importation of household goods and personal effects;

• Tax Identification Number (TIN) from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in case of setting-up a business in the country;

• Clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

• Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges

• Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners.  Click here for PRA's Merchant Partners. 

• Exemption from:

• Student Visa/ Study Permit

• Travel Tax, if retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than 1 year from last date of entry

• Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report)

• Customs duties & taxes for one time importation of household goods & personal effects worth up to US$7,000.00 Tax from pensions & annuities

For me or someone like me, these so called advantages are not worth the disadvantages that come with the high initial cost, cost of loosing most of the interest on the 20k usd and yearly renewal cost...although the loss of PRA newsletter left a big hole in my life :hystery:

One of the quirks of the retirement visa is that you are allowed to gain a work permit, which may be an advantage to some. 

Even though I've lived here as a tourist for 10 years or more, I would reconsider the SRRV if it was the best option. But in the past it cost me a wedge of cash and hassle to find it wasn't. 

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, CebuAndy said:

See family overseas, boredom, or serious medical issue within 3 years, all likely why one would not normally stay 3+ years in country.

(Asking for a friend 😃)

For me it was a mistake to get an SRRV, leaving Australia I wanted to stay in the Philippines as a bonified resident. It soon became clear the true cost of the SRRV, a year after joining they changed the rules so that they could take a further slice of the interest on the 20k principle. Since taking the money out of scheme I've made between ~1,000-700usd/year profit (for the last 10yrs) 

• Thanks 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm on a 13a which brings its own advantages and disadvantages but I suppose for those who choose the SRRV it may be more about the "security" compared to the Tourist visa rather than the actual "benefits" it provides.  

Those who have the SRRV may say differently though.

I think you're correct in most cases, I know that "security" was the priority for me back then. 

I seem to remember that during covid foreigners on SRRV and tourists weren't allowed to enter the Philippines either... 

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

The authorities could use the deposit for your care if you became indigent.  It is a deposit which is returned to your estate or you upon voluntary departure.  The deposit amount is reduced to a minimum $1,000 for certain circumstances such as former US military personnel with an honorable discharge.  The reason is Tri-Care insurance is available in the Philippines.  Tri-Care is the equivalent of Medicare but available on a global basis for current and former US military personnel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1