Falling down the rabbit hole.

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

Good advice.

For me, from the outset I laughed off the one or two mild attempts to get into "money talk" and treated them as a joke although I know they weren't really - this allowed me to set out my stall without getting into heavy discussion and loss of face etc.  After 7 years, we've a clear understanding of how we all stand.  I voluntarily lent some money a few months back and now that the family finances have taken a turn for the better it will be time to have the discussion soon - let's see how that goes.  

Amazing to hear the expression of LENT from a guy whom has been here 7 years plus, anyway HK wish you the best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Yes @RBM. Sangimo take note of the words " lemd " and "borrow." They are interchangeable and whenever you hear these words, prick your ears up like a dog does and listen to whats being said VERY carefully.

When someone , lets say your girl, or the girls father, or the cop brother requests " can you borrow/lend " me some money they mean "can you give me some money.

I will make a pretense of paying you back but it will never happen. Just consider it a foreigner tax after all you are living with and enjoying my daughter/sister etc so you should pay for this "

"Oh and expect there might be another emergency in a week month year when I will need to ask you a "favour" and "borrow/lend again" under the same repayment terms......

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And heres another one for sanagimo and yes your girl is different , but for you, and all other expats, theres another forum called Brxxxxxxts.com.

In there find  expats Philippines  subforum and look for subject Me and my family , started by an English gent called Philal in 2015. Continues until 2022 !

And enjoy the read. He details how he was so sweetly scammed by his wife ( who was  actually already married ). How the nephew was actually her kid and how the other kids who sometimes played around the house were also her kids though she never told him that.. The story takes place over a period of a year or two and is brilliant as to how he was so subtly scammed on all fronts.. him being retired and hoping for a quiet life with a loving woman....first the sister scams him for college tuition, then wife has a jewellery business , then he is threatened with deportation by the wife etc etc. Long and very involved but an incredible story. And one that can show the lengths that families and individuals can go to part of poriner from his money.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Wife has just a some photos (via facebook) of her brothers house, it's flooded so I told them the best thing to do is clean the gutters out might be over flowing and running down the inside of the walls.

Anyone else need their problems solved.:whistling:

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jake said:

Ahh....to be young and adventurous again.  Many of us found that "diamond in the rough".  For example, an innocent flirting with a bank teller or at a nearby call center, or offering lunch at a college of nursing school or pretending to be a saint at Sunday Mass works for me....he, he.  

Well said - they absolutely exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, RBM said:

Amazing to hear the expression of LENT from a guy whom has been here 7 years plus, anyway HK wish you the best

I hear you!

But, I've yet to be let down when lending money to folk here but I am selective about doing it so hedge my bets. I'll be disappointed if I'm let down by a family member but I'll be disappointed only once!  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I just say No now to every message that comes my way , it’s still fun listening to what they are wanting the cash for , so many great ideas these people think of in there minds when it’s not there money being used , I must admit it’s easy when I am thousands of miles away to keep saying No 

• Like 5

Colsie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Wife has just a some photos (via facebook) of her brothers house, it's flooded so I told them the best thing to do is clean the gutters out might be over flowing and running down the inside of the walls.

Anyone else need their problems solved.:whistling:

I am averse to other people's problems. I have the mindset, that if a problem is discused, I can usually quickly categorise it in the "not my problem". 

Many people would like to pass on their problems to someone else. But I don't solve other people's problems, occasionally I have been known to pass other people's problems onto someone else :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
On 8/4/2022 at 6:40 AM, JJReyes said:

As they say in the Philippines, you don't marry the girl, you marry the family.

can you lay down that your not the savior but I was helping fill out some city forms for qualifications in the future of coconut farming and the dad is making 5000p a month. WTFits hard not to want to help out. especially when they turn up the music so they don't hear me and their little girl. I only spent a night but a week later here I am drinking tuba again at the barangay

• Like 1