Vegetable Oils

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Whilst I agree about the general principles of oils causing damage and lets face it they all do, whatever the oil is derived from, its way easier to avoid using oil as much as possible. Way easier , and to have as little friend food as possible.

Thankfully my gf and I avoid fried foods , avoid sodas and generally avoid chips and ice cream and its years since i last had a donut. .

I enjoy my beers but then I also walk 15kms a day every day so I hope that balances.  Lived in HK for years and China so I kbnow there were pesticide drenched vegetables there too, plus the pollution. Somethings going to get us one way or the other.

My kids already in early 30s, am mid 60s,  and like an earlier poster stated , couple years extra or less doesnt really concern me.  Wala akong pakialam. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the old one burned down and the new building charges the stalls more rent so maybe not as good anymore.  I haven't been since the new one was built.  Anyone else been there?

Everyone hates it, me included because I knew the layout of the old one and where to get everything. Grab delivery solved that problem.

3 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I have a farm here and can confirm everything is absolutely drenched with pesticides in the Philippines:biggrin:.

And the pigs, chickens/eggs, and fish are just as bad for different reasons.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Old55 said:

During our visits we don't see a good selection of fresh vegetables. 

I would eat more salads and veggies, but here is Subic Bay the ones I like are poor quality.  Iceberg lettuce for salads is always old, yet super expensive.  Same for bell peppers and tomatoes.  I think they go from up north to Manila and then back here.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would eat more salads and veggies, but here is Subic Bay the ones I like are poor quality.  Iceberg lettuce for salads is always old, yet super expensive.  Same for bell peppers and tomatoes.  I think they go from up north to Manila and then back here.

The problem I see with most vegetables in the Philippines is the storage and transportation. 
In the developed world food waste is consumption, while here the waste is earlier down the chain. 
We shop every couple weeks at Landmark Supermarket and the fruit and vegetables have been handled properly. The Romain lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, etc will last at least two weeks if wrapped in paper towels and put in fridge. Bit more expensive than the local market, SM, S&R, but zero waste. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gas said:

The problem I see with most vegetables in the Philippines is the storage and transportation. 
In the developed world food waste is consumption, while here the waste is earlier down the chain. 
We shop every couple weeks at Landmark Supermarket and the fruit and vegetables have been handled properly. The Romain lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, etc will last at least two weeks if wrapped in paper towels and put in fridge. Bit more expensive than the local market, SM, S&R, but zero waste. 

Before the expressway went so far North towards Baguio, we had to drive on National Hwy for quite a distance.  Coming home, we used to laugh when we would see a big truck full of cabbage or veggies like that, and there would be a couple of guys riding on top of the veggies, usually lying down napping!

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Major Tom said:

A bit off-topic, but I thought that a recent study was worth mentioning. A group of people who lived to be in their 90’s, 100’s (and beyond) were studied to determine the secret(s) to their longevity.

Most of the people studied were males, and they had very bad eating habits, plus many participants were also heavy cigarette smokers and heavy alcohol drinkers.

So, for what it’s worth, a healthy or unhealthy diet (as well as other unhealthy things) may have nothing  at all to do with how long you will live (providing you are not hit by a bus). 😂 

Dr Peter Attia, one of the leading longevity docs, summed it up pretty well with something like, 'You either lose or win the genetic lottery', but goes on to note that there are certain things one Can do to improve odds and to improve Quality of that older life if one makes it. He notes that #1 is good sleep, and I've heard several others in field say same.   Not That means I'm screwed due to apnea, although sleep better on side, and just waking up a lot.  Take 20mg melatonin, but that gives me a somewhat decent 6 hrs (need 8).  Would take benadryl, but that increases risk of dementia.   So yeah, maybe I'll start drinking!  :cheers:

• Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/16/2022 at 8:04 AM, baronapart said:

At east I got my wife to cook her food with olive oil.

I have searched a bit to find out that olive oil seems to be the only oil that isn't bad for you, but I don't really understand why.

In layman's terms, why is it healthy to fry my bacon and eggs in olive oil and not in canola oil (for example)?

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

So yeah, maybe I'll start drinking!  :cheers:

It wouldn’t hurt but maybe just in moderation to stay on the safe side.:cheers:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 1/28/2023 at 9:13 PM, Gas said:

Estimated waste for perishable produce in the Philippines is 40%.  Most developed country try to keep it below 10%.  

Wealthy families are buying hobby farms ranging in size from 1,000 square meters to 2 hectares.  They build a weekend cottage, plant organic fruits and vegetables, and retain a caretaker for watering on weekdays.  I have helped a few by bringing heirloom papaya seeds from Hawaii, produced by the UH School of Tropical Agriculture.  They are the Maui Gold and Waimanalo Solo variety.  Small and delicious.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Greglm said:

I had the urge to make some chili so I went in search of beans. Kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans etc. SM supermarket, Robinson, fresh markets etc. Not available anywhere.  I showed pictures of what I was looking for to a few people and one helpful person said "Try Lazada" :no:

I found red kidney beans in the imported food section of Gaisano here in Moalboal.   I used to make some amazing chili for potlucks, office parties, superbowl, etc.  Cooked it up in a 4 gallon stock pot.  Always wore gloves while dicing up the jalapeno peppers so the hands would not get burned.  Also had to put a fan in the kitchen and open the windows otherwise the steam from cooking was almost like teargas. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1