Vegetable Oils

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Margarine is poison, and olive oil in big plastic Costco jugs isn't much better.

Uh oh.  No wonder I'm still fat and unhealthy.  Back to the drawing board.

• Haha 5

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That big bottle I bought at S&R did go bad.  Never again.  My wife still uses it, but not for my food.

4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Margarine is poison, and olive oil in big plastic Costco jugs isn't much better.

For cooking, New Zealand butter.

For dressing etc, EVOO in dark glass bottles, far from the expiry date.

From an article I recently read about stores selling inauthentic EVOO: 

“A final recommendation he shares is avoiding plastic bottles, “no quality EVOO has ever been sold in PET or plastic. Cheap packaging equals cheap oil.”

The complete and very informative article can be found here:

https://www.wellandgood.com/fake-olive-oil/

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, Nickleback99 said:

Dave, I believe the difference in the oils is how they are extracted, as the usual seed oils are produced using chemical extraction and the chems end up in the oils as well as the type of fatty acids in those oils compared to olive oil.   Also,  from several things I've read on various studies are that some of the seed oils are reportedly rancid at some level by time reach the store.   For olive oils, I believe the good ones at least are pressed and that cold pressed is siupposed to be the best.  Read another article about a study awhile back about being careful with Olive oils because some are blending other oils in whether labeled as such or not.  The article went on to say that the oil they found most pure was the Kirkland organic(?) extra virgin olive oil at Costco.  I dunno, but I sure like olive oil personally and will be sending another monster sized bottle from Costco on my next trip to US. :morning1:

Perhaps the biggest problem is where to find the extra virgins? I'm sure their oil is the finest....:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 1/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, Nickleback99 said:

You are correct Don and certainly not a conspiracy theory.  Seed oils like this are garbage for your body, but they keep on pushing them, on Americans at least, as healthy for you, etc, while demonizing animal fats, etc.  It's no secret any longer that the sugar industry Paid researchers way back in 60s or 70s to demonize animal fats as cause of  heart disease and other health issues, when it's just the opposite.  I know multiple people who switched to carnivore and keto diets who became much leaner And their blood work numbers and health greatly improved.  I was already lean, but did several months last year of mostly carnivore and cut out all typical seed oils, going with beef tallow, lard and grass fed butter and my energy levels were through the roof.   I only stopped doing mostly carnivore because I got bored eating mostly steak, eggs, raw milk, goats milk etc for months (maybe wouldn't have if could've afforded ribeys and T-bones or filets) and added in berries and a few select berries, with 1 cheat day per week....still felt good.

I think it's good to get your information from real experts who can back their findings up for a proper meta analysis of multiple studies.  I've seen so many nutritionists and even doctors spouting complete garbage yet they have thousands of followers. Here's one guy I throroughly recommend as he dispels lots of fear mongering with proper data. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@dr_idz/video/7147373317392010502