Tipping Culture

Avalon
Posted
Posted

We tip at restaurants, typically P50 to P150 for a P1K to P2K meal if the service was good - but if there is a 10% service charge in the bill the wife will always tell me just to leave the coins as the tip is there.  Hairdressers I tip and parking attendants while we eat usually get P20 unless they moved things around to let us park and its P50 - as we frequent the same places they'll remember us and usually find parking when there isn't any.  While tipping is after the service, if you are a regular they certainly remember next time.

If I go to Angeles City which is a high crime area with bad parking to watch a football game in a pub atmosphere or take a visitor out for some nightlife I park at a hotel just down the road. I'm not supposed to park there but for years I have done and slipped the guard P100 and again, they see me coming, find me a spot right under there gaze and I enjoy the night without worrying someone has scratched the car.  For me secure parking in a bad neighbourhood for P100 is a good deal for me and the guard.

Christmas time we get the rubbish collectors, the barangay tanod and the local youth basketball team slip a white envelope and we always show appreciation.  This year our local Police Sargeant dropped by with an envelope for their Christmas Party, as they do local businesses.  I was happy to contribute, they look after us well and he's on my speed dial so it was both a thank you and an investment for prompt attendance in 2023.

I'm 62 but don't claim Senior Citizen priveliges as its a grey area.  I read the Act and the IRR which confusingly states in some parts it is for "Citizens" of the Philippines but then in others suggests if you're over 60 with a Government ID it applies.  I went to the main private hospital in Tarlac for tests a year ago.  When they entered me in the system it saw my date of birth and automatically discounted all my bills which was cool.

For me the perk of being a Senior is now I don't have to queue in the some places.

Anyway, to each his own, thanks for the thread JJ...

• Like 4

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2022 at 11:30 PM, Tommy T. said:

there really seems to generally be lack of attention to customer service or to work to encourage customers to return. Yes, some of the servers seem to really care and make efforts to do well, but the business owners and/or managers, themselves, just seem to be asleep at the wheel in general...

I will add to this that our personal feeling is that many management or owners are either ignorant regarding customer service or simply don't care... Neither of us have the answer to that...

And therein likely lies the answer to our recent experience at the joint up in Antipolo.  I reckon it simply "is what it is." ...Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 12/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Greglm said:

Similar .  The Manila Hotel has had super service for many years but I keep my expectations low for 90% of service establishments.

When I lived and worked here in early 90's, we often stayed and and utilized the Manila Hotel due to it's proximity to the Embassy and you are right, the service Every time was absolutely Superb.   Loved that place!

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 12/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, JJReyes said:

Walking on your back can be part of a Japanese Shiatsu massage.  It's okay if the person weighs less than 100 pounds.  Not recommended if the masseuse is Russian weighing over 300 pounds whose former employment was building dams.  Or Filipina.

The walking part is fine and often pops my back the way I like, but pretty sure literally Jumping on one's back while already standing on it is not part of any type of massage. (This one was supposed to be "Swedish" style. ) If it is, well I made the wrong choice!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The latest tidbit news is a woman was refused service at a restaurant.  The reason given is because she has a reputation as a non-tipper.

Another on Facebook is also about a woman who was shocked that the clerk at the airport demanded a tip for taking care of her luggage.  There was a follow-up clarification that it was a skycap.  Their only compensation is from tips.  This curbside service reduces congestion at the ticket counter.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

woman was refused service at a restaurant

As I searched, her claim is actually worse than that:  Büeli says she once went back to a restaurant where a friend of hers didn't tip on their last visit, and the servers absolutely would not help her.

But, of course, this is just people trying to make a name for themselves on social media with the latest fad so I doubt there is anything substantial to the claim.  Tell ya what, though.  I was once refused service because I tipped too much.  Yep.  No joke.   It was about 02:30 am and I was shit-faced and I kept tipping over.  I tipped over so much they refused to serve me and kicked me out.

• Haha 4

Avalon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As I searched, her claim is actually worse than that:  Büeli says she once went back to a restaurant where a friend of hers didn't tip on their last visit, and the servers absolutely would not help her.

But, of course, this is just people trying to make a name for themselves on social media with the latest fad so I doubt there is anything substantial to the claim.  Tell ya what, though.  I was once refused service because I tipped too much.  Yep.  No joke.   It was about 02:30 am and I was shit-faced and I kept tipping over.  I tipped over so much they refused to serve me and kicked me out.

Many years ago my friend took a group of young Norwegian guys and girls visiting the Philippines to a well-known bar / resto with a live band in Angeles.  They partied like true Vikings and didn't want to stop at 2am or 3am whatever when the band stopped and it was time to close.  One of them went up to the band with a fistful of pesos and said "will that buy another hour?"  The band quickly agreed. His mate went around generously handing cash to the wait staff and the desk manager.  Then the party went on unabated!   I've never seen that before...

• Like 1