Tipping Culture

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I disagree.  The function of the tip today is as a substitute for a decent wage.  In the United States, this is the only employment category that allows employers to pay less the minimum wage.  The service charge actually guarantees workers that they will be receiving money rather than be dependent on the whims of customers.  If the employer retains the money, that is stealing.

Again, you are purely focusing on the USA - the situation is different from country to country. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The function of the tip today is as a substitute for a decent wage.

Of course it isn't.  If service isn't good, no tip is earned.  If I see a 'service charge' on a bill, I'm still giving extra to the server, because they expect it and generally deserve it. And then I'm never returning to that restaurant.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Kingpin said:

And then I'm never returning to that restaurant.

And.... sorry to say, the attitude I seem to perceive here is that the owners don't seem to care if people return to their restaurant.... As often,...perhaps my perception is wrong?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

And.... sorry to say, the attitude I seem to perceive here is that the owners don't seem to care if people return to their restaurant.... As often,...perhaps my perception is wrong?

I have the same impression.  We had lunch at a place a few months back and as soon as you walked in you could smell their deep fryer oil was old and the food tasted as you would expect in that circumstance.  AM complained to the owner.  She went back the next day to have a "sniff" and made herself known.  No surprise, the place still stank.  AM told the owner we wouldn't be back, the owner gave her a blank stare, AM walked out.  

Small town here, so a bit of a captive audience, but I have my doubts it's any different in the larger areas.  Funnily enough, we never had cause to complain in Dumaguete.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I have the same impression.  We had lunch at a place a few months back and as soon as you walked in you could smell their deep fryer oil was old and the food tasted as you would expect in that circumstance.  AM complained to the owner.  She went back the next day to have a "sniff" and made herself known.  No surprise, the place still stank.  AM told the owner we wouldn't be back, the owner gave her a blank stare, AM walked out.  

Small town here, so a bit of a captive audience, but I have my doubts it's any different in the larger areas.

Not trying to trash Filipinos in any way but, to me and L, there really seems to generally be lack of attention to customer service or to work to encourage customers to return. Yes, some of the servers seem to really care and make efforts to do well, but the business owners and/or managers, themselves, just seem to be asleep at the wheel in general...

Case in point. We prefer S & R pizzas compared to most others considering price and quality. But there have been many times when their pizzas underperform significantly - few toppings and scattered only helter skelter here and there and "where's the pizza sauce?" Sometimes they are great and sometimes they really are just shy of terrible...

Edit: I will add to this that our personal feeling is that many management or owners are either ignorant regarding customer service or simply don't care... Neither of us have the answer to that...

Okay... I am on a roll now - edge of a rant:

Back in my college days, I used to go to a Greek restaurant in Chicago. It was not expensive, but the food was good and service excellent. One time there, I ordered braised lamb... It was great and I was happy. The maitre'd stopped by, took a squiz at my plate and said, "Is that enough for you??? Here I will get you more! (snapped fingers and then Greek talking to waiters). Essentially, he told them to bring me more food- and I was not complaining at all. The owner of the small restaurant would cork up any unfinished wine bottles (totally illegal in Chicago, at least at that time) and give me and my small group extra bottles - unopened - to take with us. We were students and not wealthy, but we gave them tips that were reasonable for the time.... And, of course, we returned there often!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The owner of the small restaurant would cork up any unfinished wine bottles (totally illegal in Chicago, at least at that time) and give me and my small group extra bottles - unopened - to take with us. We were students and not wealthy, but we gave them tips that were reasonable for the time.... And, of course, we returned there often!

Similar experience. My home town was home of the busiest drive-in restaurant in the world at the time. Letters from National Cash Register commenting to them about being the first to consistently wear our cash registers and another from Lipton Tea Company saying they gave away more tea than any other restaurant sold. They gave free refills as long as you presented their Styrofoam cup. We students could get a couple of months out of a cup. Later a major new outlet asked the owner if he knew we were doing that. He said of course, then they get married and bring their families back to buy food. I'll be there this spring and you bet I'll take my family there.

There are some restaurants here that provide excellent service. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Wolfgangs come to mind but they spend a lot of time training their employees.  The Manila Hotel has had super service for many years but I keep my expectations low for 90% of service establishments.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

the attitude I seem to perceive here is that the owners don't seem to care if people return to their restaurant.

Thus the inevitable the bankruptcy.

Foodpada and Grab delivery solved the automatic 10% service charge anyway, no need to go anywhere anymore. If the quality is good they get my business, until it isn't.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Greglm said:

There are some restaurants here that provide excellent service. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Wolfgangs come to mind but they spend a lot of time training their employees.  The Manila Hotel has had super service for many years but I keep my expectations low for 90% of service establishments.

Let's be both honest and fair here, the places you mention are high-end with everything that brings, including cost.

In a country where Labour is cheap it's a tad harsh IMO to criticise too much - hey, I do my fair share of it but I'm only human. I also feel it's a tad of a cheap shot to have a go at the owners/managers t.b.h. Folk are just trying to scrape a living in somewhat difficult circumstances- and that was before the pandemic hit.

The longer I've lived here the more I've come to realise that things are actually much better than I think If I take a broad-brush approach.  It's just the negative aspects carry more weight than the positive, unfortunately. 

Edit - should have added my post was not aimed at the poster I quoted in particular, just in general.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

The longer I've lived here the more I've come to realise that things are actually much better than I think If I take a broad-brush approach.  It's just the negative aspects carry more weight than the positive, unfortunately. 

I agree.  Expats who spend time looking for faults in the Philippines, or any country for that matter, will have no trouble finding things to criticize.   Those who come here and see Filipinos as a friendly, warm, and accepting group of people tend to let the negative stuff not bother them.   Praising good behavior instead of complaining about bad behaviour tends to bring a group of positive, friendly, supporting, even loving people into your orbit.  This is especially true in smaller towns and provincial areas where you will develop a reputation based on your interactions with the locals.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2022 at 6:36 AM, OnMyWay said:

In California and a few other states, wait staff have to be paid the minimum wage, which is $14 now, and they get tips that are really high.  20% standard now?  Not from me, sorry.  At a good resto, that can result in a 6 figure income, and I still think they figure out ways to to cheat on taxes.

YEah they did that in Seattle area, starting first at the airport area and later Seattle Times (?) did an article about how wait staff hated it because their take home income went way down compared to low wage with high tips, as most people quit tipping or significantly reduced tips after businesses started assessing a service charge to cover Their losses or simply raised prices several dollars per item.  From what I understand, some businesses even "advertised" on menu, signs etc why they raised prices.  Result?....No Tips!

• Like 3