Tipping Culture

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Do they let you watch where they hide it. :hystery:

Why do you think Jack leaves them a tip?

• Haha 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2022 at 12:33 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I find tipping to be demeaning and embarrassing . As Australians we do not think we are better than anyone else and the the art of tipping degrades the server to become a servant.

Sounds like backwards logic, servants are generally paid less, not more.

I'd love to know if Grab PH drivers get e-tips immediately, meaning they know who it was from, and what service was for, or if they just get a total at the end of day, knowing nothing. Anyone know?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Reboot
Posted
Posted

This whole thread reminds me of the scene at the beginning of the movie Reservoir Dogs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

This whole thread reminds me of the scene at the beginning of the movie Reservoir Dogs. 

Great clip, but if I was to tip a buck these days then the waitress is likely to throw it back at me and say "if that's all you can afford then you need it more than I do"

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Great clip, but if I was to tip a buck these days then the waitress is likely to throw it back at me and say "if that's all you can afford then you need it more than I do"

In the United States, you fear hostility for under tipping which pressures you to give more.  In the Philippines, tipping is something extra, and the service staff is usually grateful.  There is no need to give something extra if there is already a 10% service charge added.  BTW, tipping does not improve the quality of service since it is given at the end of a meal.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

BTW, tipping does not improve the quality of service since it is given at the end of a meal.  

Unsure of this logic.  The tip is in recognition of good service, or should be, so the anticipation of it will likely improve the quality of service.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Unsure of this logic.  The tip is in recognition of good service, or should be, so the anticipation of it will likely improve the quality of service. 

Leaving a tip, as an expression of gratitude for good service, use to be the norm.  Not anymore in the United States.  The latest example is a Domino's delivery person who demanded the tip as a precondition to handing over the box of pizza.  Tip is expected whether or not the service was good or bad.  It is mandatory.  The only flexibility is the amount, but you better be generous or else.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Leaving a tip, as an expression of gratitude for good service, use to be the norm.  Not anymore in the United States.  The latest example is a Domino's delivery person who demanded the tip as a precondition to handing over the box of pizza.  Tip is expected whether or not the service was good or bad.  It is mandatory.  The only flexibility is the amount, but you better be generous or else.

:shock_40_anim_gif: Then Thank Goodness we are Not in the US :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In the United States, you fear hostility for under tipping which pressures you to give more.  In the Philippines, tipping is something extra, and the service staff is usually grateful.  There is no need to give something extra if there is already a 10% service charge added.  BTW, tipping does not improve the quality of service since it is given at the end of a meal.  

Agreed 100%. At least my experience has been that service workers here - at least in Davao - do not seem to expect tips and thus are thankful and sometimes surprised to receive them... My partner, L (a full blooded Filipina), agrees...

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sorry, HK, but your logic does not seem to apply here - at least in our experiences... Maybe it is different in Manila or environs?

And as @JJReyespoints out, in USA, it is expected and at certain - to me ridiculous - rates. Another reason not to live there!

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

I'm not American nor do I live there so the logic doesn't work for me.

• Like 1