Tipping Culture

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Walking on your back can be part of a Japanese Shiatsu massage.  It's okay if the person weighs less than 100 pounds.  Not recommended if the masseuse is Russian weighing over 300 pounds whose former employment was building dams.  Or Filipina.

My wife and I are fortunate.  We were introduced to a lady in her early 60s who has over 20 years of massage experience.  We were so impressed after our first massage that we ordered a massage table from Lazada.  She now comes to our house every Monday evening and we each get a one hour massage.  My 72 year old joints are feeling more flexible than they have in years and my neck and back pains are much reduced.  She is not very big but I am pretty sure she could push her thumbs through a steel drum. :tongue:

Edited by Mike J
Spell check should know what I WANT to write
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, JJReyes said:
  • They add 12% VAT and another 10% service charge.

Adding the service charge is a terrible idea, because it may not go to the workers, who may be expecting a deserved cash tip from you.

In related news, don't help beggars, or else:

Those who will be caught giving food or money to street dwellers will be issued a citation ticket with a corresponding fine of P1,000.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1949251/cebu/local-news/cebu-city-to-punish-those-who-give-alms-to-beggars

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Adding the service charge is a terrible idea, because it may not go to the workers, who may be expecting a deserved cash tip from you.

In related news, don't help beggars, or else:

I disagree.  The function of the tip today is as a substitute for a decent wage.  In the United States, this is the only employment category that allows employers to pay less the minimum wage.  The service charge actually guarantees workers that they will be receiving money rather than be dependent on the whims of customers.  If the employer retains the money, that is stealing.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

I disagree.  The function of the tip today is as a substitute for a decent wage.  In the United States, this is the only employment category that allows employers to pay less the minimum wage.  The service charge actually guarantees workers that they will be receiving money rather than be dependent on the whims of customers.  If the employer retains the money, that is stealing.

JJ whilst I appreciate the intention of the service charge, in most cases I can't really see it going to the workers.  I know for a fact at multiple venues, in Dumaguete at least, the owners keep the tips, so I would assume they'd do the same for any formal gratuity as well.  It may be different in other areas though. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

JJ whilst I appreciate the intention of the service charge, in most cases I can't really see it going to the workers.  I know for a fact at multiple venues, in Dumaguete at least, the owners keep the tips, so I would assume they'd do the same for any formal gratuity as well.  It may be different in other areas though. 

My reference is the United States where tipping is obligatory, yet the amount or percentage is ill defined.  I believe the restaurant management should state the amount rather than for customers to guess.  My decision should be limited to either dine or not dine based on the final price.  While we can debate what would be a decent wage in the Philippines, it is possible restaurant owners believe anything extra belongs to them.  Culturally, most Filipinos won't tip.  End of story.  It is foreigners and Filipinos who have lived overseas who tip.  Ideally, the final price in the menu should be limited to cost of food plus the VAT. 

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

My reference is the United States where tipping is obligatory, yet the amount or percentage is ill defined.  I believe the restaurant management should state the amount rather than for customers to guess.  My decision should be limited to either dine or not dine based on the final price.  While we can debate what would be a decent wage in the Philippines, it is possible restaurant owners believe anything extra belongs to them.  Culturally, most Filipinos won't tip.  End of story.  It is foreigners and Filipinos who have lived overseas who tip.  Ideally, the final price in the menu should be limited to cost of food plus the VAT. 

Tipping is obligatory, that statement in itself means that it isn't a tip but rather a direct payment for service. So in the US the business owner doesn't pay their employees correctly. The burden of paying employees should sit firmly with the employer. 

As for adding an additional service charge and vat charge in small print on the menu is just plain sneaky and bordering on a scam. It should be illegal in my view. It could easily be included in the price of the meals and the customers would know exactly what the costs are for each item. 

My girl did OJT (On Job Training) as part of her HRM degree. The students were made to work full time on a shift rota and without any pay and have to complete 3 months, now I believe its 6 months (slave labour) otherwise they couldn't graduate. When guests left a tip the hotel took it and only if the guest literally gave the worker the tip unseen directly in their hand could they keep it. The hotel where she worked was one of the most expensive places to stay in the city. 

If the students were late for work 3 times the hotel obviously couldn't dock their pay because they didn't get paid. What they could do, was to add weeks to the length of time they had to work there, but that's a different story. 

Edited by Colsie

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Colsie said:

My girl did OJT (On Job Training) as part of her HRM degree. The students were made to work full time on a shift rota and without any pay and have to complete 3 months, now I believe its 6 months (slave labour) otherwise they couldn't graduate. When guests left a tip the hotel took it and only if the guest literally gave the worker the tip unseen directly in their hand could they keep it. The hotel where she worked was one of the most expensive places to stay in the city. 

Philippine nursing schools graduate more than 90,000 students per year.  They then work for free one year at a clinic or hospital before applying for a license.  At one time some clinics and hospital even charge a fee for the addition "practicum" training, but this was eventually declared illegal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

The wife and I stayed at a hotel many years ago in Boracay that was using the same type of "intern" program.  We happened to be the first customer for dinner so my wife had a chance to have a conversation(s) with all three of the trainees.  I ordered a scotch on the rocks with my dinner, this will become important later in the story.  My wife told me that the interns earned nothing and were not allowed to receive tips.  Service was outstanding in all respects.  When we I left I called over one of the servers and handed a carefully folded 500 peso note.  I said, "This is NOT a tip, it is a gift for the three of you."  The next evening we also had dinner in the hotel and the young man asked; "Would you like a scotch on the rocks?"  When I answered yes please, he returned with a large water glass filled to the brim with scotch and a few ice cubes.  :hystery:  Yep, they got another nice present to split three ways but no TIP. :whistling:

• Like 5

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The wife and I stayed at a hotel many years ago in Boracay that was using the same type of "intern" program.  We happened to be the first customer for dinner so my wife had a chance to have a conversation(s) with all three of the trainees.  I ordered a scotch on the rocks with my dinner, this will become important later in the story.  My wife told me that the interns earned nothing and were not allowed to receive tips.  Service was outstanding in all respects.  When we I left I called over one of the servers and handed a carefully folded 500 peso note.  I said, "This is NOT a tip, it is a gift for the three of you."  The next evening we also had dinner in the hotel and the young man asked; "Would you like a scotch on the rocks?"  When I answered yes please, he returned with a large water glass filled to the brim with scotch and a few ice cubes.  :hystery:  Yep, they got another nice present to split three ways but no TIP. :whistling:

Not to do a “I have a blacker cat than you story” but I just got back from the SM store here where I asked the cashier girl if they were allowed to accept tips “no Sir not allowed”, ok then here is a Christmas present, as I gave her the change. Boom Boom

• Like 4

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

They even have to pay for their own uniform and expenses to get to work. The college also included a fee for the final semester that included working without pay. This is an abuse of power over their students as they finish years of study they cannot graduate without this. There was also financial and commercial links between the college and the hotels. In the girls case, the owner of the hotel also owned or part owned the college. 

No minimum wage here, as its classed as training, despite it being shift work. 

Edited by Colsie
  • Sad 2