Tipping Culture

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Agreed 100%. At least my experience has been that service workers here - at least in Davao - do not seem to expect tips and thus are thankful and sometimes surprised to receive them... My partner, L (a full blooded Filipina), agrees...

Sorry, HK, but your logic does not seem to apply here - at least in our experiences... Maybe it is different in Manila or environs?

And as @JJReyespoints out, in USA, it is expected and at certain - to me ridiculous - rates. Another reason not to live there!

Well Tommy, you are ignoring the point that tipping doesn't equate to good service here because there is no tipping culture so the concept that good service will lead to good tips hasn't caught on.  Yet.

I can't help it that America and Americans have negated the concept and value of tipping, it doesn't mean tipping elsewhere doesn't lead to better service. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Leaving a tip, as an expression of gratitude for good service, use to be the norm.  Not anymore in the United States.  The latest example is a Domino's delivery person who demanded the tip as a precondition to handing over the box of pizza.  Tip is expected whether or not the service was good or bad.  It is mandatory.  The only flexibility is the amount, but you better be generous or else.

I do not do well with intimidation, threats, or extortion, I would tell the Domino's drive to stick the pizza up his . . . . 

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I do do well with intimidation, threats, or extortion, I would tell the Domino's drive to stick the pizza up his . . . . 

And then see how long he keeps his job after you complain.  Which is what I would do. 

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I prefer the system in the Philippines.  You order P500 worth of food.  They add 12% VAT and another 10% service charge.  Pay the computed total on the bill in cash or credit card (this will change when we visit the province where cash is the preferred method of payment).  I don't have to do mental gymnastics to calculate the 18%, 20%, 25% or 30% tip.  Another decision is whether or not to calculate the amount before the (VAT) or after the tax has been added.  Big debate in social media with accusations that you are a cheapskate if the calculation is before VAT rather than after.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:popcorn: Then in the morning:cornflakes:if this carries on cos we have been here before EH?

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Leaving a tip, as an expression of gratitude for good service, use to be the norm.  Not anymore in the United States.  The latest example is a Domino's delivery person who demanded the tip as a precondition to handing over the box of pizza.  Tip is expected whether or not the service was good or bad.  It is mandatory.  The only flexibility is the amount, but you better be generous or else.

From what you've described, the same thing could happen here. Once upon a time a tip in the US used to be an expression of gratitude but now its not, its an expected payment. So by bringing this commonly used American habit to the Philippines. In the future it will will be expected here also. 

If 1 in 10 customers leave a tip then the expectation is low but if 9 out 10 customers tip, then it will soon be expected and if you're the one that didn't tip, you could be seen as the guy doing the service provider out of what is rightfully theirs...

Lets leave tipping in America :hystery:

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Colsie said:

From what you've described, the same thing could happen here. Once upon a time a tip in the US used to be an expression of gratitude but now its not, its an expected payment. So by bringing this commonly used American habit to the Philippines. In the future it will will be expected here also. 

If 1 in 10 customers leave a tip then the expectation is low but if 9 out 10 customers tip, then it will soon be expected and if you're the one that didn't tip, you could be seen as the guy doing the service provider out of what is rightfully theirs...

Lets leave tipping in America :hystery:

Perhaps you are right, Colsie...

My partner, L, full Filipina, tips almost everyone. She does not tip a lot, necessarily, but usually something. This comes from her background. She grew up in a poor, rural province. She had to literally scrap for money for food and paid for her own education. So, because of that, she tries to help anyone/everyone she can. I don't agree with all of this - the beggars on the street, for instance... I believe that if you give them a little today, they will ask for/demand more tomorrow.

Not the same as tipping, I realize. However, we all know that wages here are very low, especially for menial workers. If some guys load things into her car from a store, she gives them a small tip - maybe 20 pesos. If it is heavy or is a big hassle for them, she tips them more.  I agree with that. Hopefully, they might remember and help others in the future because of their fair treatment in the past?

As some of you say, tipping in USA (also try Canada, Germany and other European countries) has gotten out of control. The employers should pay higher wages and raise their prices... Of course they won't do that because it will cut into their profit margin since they will lose customers.

I did notice during my sailing travels, that tipping just seemed to not exist after I crossed the equator. Southern world countries - NZ, Oz, virtually all island nations - don't usually expect tips... Another one of the many reasons I decided to stay here rather than in North America or Europe...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If I was an influential politician, I would want to pass a law that the price advertised outside the restaurant, on the menu or online is the final price.  It should already include the cost of food, taxes and service fee.  If the restaurant owner believes their service staff deserves more, the service fee percentage increases to 15%, 20% 25% or 30%.  The percentage could be 60%, but then customers might not come because the final price becomes prohibitive.  If customers want to give more in tips, the extra money goes to a charity.  

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 11/8/2022 at 4:13 AM, JJReyes said:

My wife and I are leaving for the Philippines in a few days.  We would like to know the current tipping culture for porters, taxi drivers, restaurants and hotel personnel.  Our visit is for more than four months partially to test expat living.  This is in preparation for a time when either one of us is less mobile.  The plan is to then hire caregiver services.  Too expensive in the United States.  More affordable in the Philippines.

Regarding tipping.  I used a discount business class website to book Philippine Airlines.  The payment prompt strongly suggested a 10% tip for the agent.  That's insane!

That's a good question JJ.  I tipped over and above the two porters who helped me get the pooch and too big kennel , plus luggage, down that NAIA ramp to greeting area....made their Xmas I'm sure.  Oh well, was a 1 time thing given the circumstances, exhaustion and probably most stressful prior 2 weeks of my Retirement life.  Also over tipped a gal for great 300P massage the other day who did everything perfectly, unlike the gal in Makait last week who literally jump bounced on my lower back when standing on it! :bonk: :angry_80_anim_gif:             Sorry, I'm not into the pain train.      As for tipping otherwsie,  Rest of time, I try to listen and follow my better half, although she is prone to overtip by PI standards at Christmas, probably because she has never forgotten where She came from and figures she can help someone else without breaking the bank.  It chaffs her backside when she sees well off locals treating those "beneath them" as if they were a lower caste or something.  Hopefully she reels back in the purse post holidays....we'll see.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Also over tipped a gal for great 300P massage the other day who did everything perfectly, unlike the gal in Makait last week who literally jump bounced on my lower back when standing on it! :bonk: :angry_80_anim_gif:             Sorry, I'm not into the pain train. 

Walking on your back can be part of a Japanese Shiatsu massage.  It's okay if the person weighs less than 100 pounds.  Not recommended if the masseuse is Russian weighing over 300 pounds whose former employment was building dams.  Or Filipina.

• Haha 2