Tipping Culture

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

While this is not about tipping, so far, on two occasions, our hosts requested for our US driver's license so everyone would get the senior discount.  Is it legal?  I haven't seen any rules changes including for Balkbayan visitors.  

Most likely because you do not have a Philippine senior citizen card.  Vendors use the info off the card in order to apply for the tax exemption. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/10/2022 at 1:10 PM, hk blues said:

TIP - To Ensure Promptness I believe is one of the most popular theories.

Strangely, the theory is that the TIP was paid in advance to encourage good service rather than reward it.  Kind of makes more sense then the current practice. 

Sure... that makes all the sense in the world. When I have left tips, it is after the service, not before. So, to me, it is offered as a reward rather than a future encouragement.

By the way... To Ensure Promptness, as my own dad used to say - would be spelled TEP? Or has American and Canadian English differed that far from British English? :89:

Edited by Tommy T.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sure... that makes all the sense in the world. When I have left tips, it is after the service, not before. So, to me, it is offered as a reward rather than a future encouragement.

By the way... To Ensure Promptness, as my own dad used to say - would be spelled TEP? Or has American and Canadian English differed that far from British English? :89:

Someone got insure and ensure mixed up?

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Good point Tommy.

Either the word "ensure" didn't exist in the 1600s OR strictly speaking "insure" is correct in that we are making a payment in advance to protect against bad service i.e. an insurance. 

No difference between ensure v insure between BE/AE/CE.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Most likely because you do not have a Philippine senior citizen card.  Vendors use the info off the card in order to apply for the tax exemption. 

Happened again today.  After lunch, the person who invited us asked for our driver's licenses for the senior citizen discount.  The person paying is the primary senior citizen.  I suspect the discount request won't be honored if I was paying.

My wife's observation:  It is the wealthier members of society who receive the benefit.  The poor and lower middle class don't eat out.

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife's observation:  It is the wealthier members of society who receive the benefit.  The poor and lower middle class don't eat out.

Senior citizen discount works fine in McDonald's...as an expat, just showed my Philippines vax cert to prove I'm senior :smile:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

Good point Tommy.

Either the word "ensure" didn't exist in the 1600s OR strictly speaking "insure" is correct in that we are making a payment in advance to protect against bad service i.e. an insurance. 

No difference between ensure v insure between BE/AE/CE.

Thanks for your reply. I am not so old that my dad was living in the 1600's... or else i would have been long dead already!😊... However, my comment still stands in that I and L only give "tips" after the service has been performed, not before...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

If I am in a crowded bar and they are lined up three deep, I would slip the bar person a twenty, it worked every time.

Of course that was many moons ago, now that twenty is worth next to nothing it would probably be a fifty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

If I am in a crowded bar and they are lined up three deep, I would slip the bar person a twenty, it worked every time.

Of course that was many moons ago, now that twenty is worth next to nothing it would probably be a fifty.

It's probably more common than we realise - slipping the maitre d a few bucks to get a better table etc etc.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2022 at 10:18 AM, Tommy T. said:

I have heard that it was an acronym for "to improve performance". :89: