SIM Card Registration - Updated Information and The Procedure

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I agree it's not the point of the extension but my guess is that stopping people from adding load, causing them to end up with 0 load will cause less complaints than wasting load.  Also if the company apps get 'updated' and stop adding load without registration when updated then that would have the effect of 'soft cancelling' some of the unregistered SIM cards.

Agreed.

Perhaps the government could have added a step to the process in that any load added after let's say 1st April could only be done along with registration or for already registered SIMs.  This would have cut down on lost load and also helped boost the registration numbers - maybe this is similar to what you're suggesting above.

It has now been disclosed (maybe nothing new but news to me) that a SIM can be reactivated within 5 days of deactivation - this is sensible as there will be some deactivation errors I'm sure.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/13/2023 at 4:17 PM, GeoffH said:

The SMART SIM is registered but the SMART Giga Life app is still popping up reminders to register :mocking:

I think if you go to your offers/promos and find there is some free data available and you accept, a message will say, thanks for registering your sim.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2023 at 11:27 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think if you go to your offers/promos and find there is some free data available and you accept, a message will say, thanks for registering your sim.

I think I'd have to go to the app on SWMBO's phone to do that... my app isn't linked to that SIM as it's registered in her name.

• 7 months later...
Kingpin
Posted
Posted

Another fail.

SIM registration ‘fails’ to protect consumers

Scams that persist may have been obtained from the black market of SIMs registered with false identities. There is also a market for selling or loaning legitimately registered SIMs to be used as “mules” by criminals.  - https://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sim-registration-fails-to-protect-consumers

Try again?

lawmakers have crafted a bill dubbed the “Do-Not-Call, Do-Not-Text” bill, which aims to address the problem of spam or unwanted text messages or calls.

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Try again?

lawmakers have crafted a bill dubbed the “Do-Not-Call, Do-Not-Text” bill, which aims to address the problem of spam or unwanted text messages or calls.

The year my sim was not registered Zero spam texts. Now 5 or 6 a week. looks like someone at the sim registration place is selling good contents to spamers.

• Sad 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I purchased an inexpensive mobile phone to receive and send text messages, and call while in the Philippines.  No problem registering the SIM.  The store did it for me.  So far, no junk mail, but it is still early.  

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I purchased an inexpensive mobile phone to receive and send text messages, and call while in the Philippines.  No problem registering the SIM.  The store did it for me.  So far, no junk mail, but it is still early.  

When we came over, we just disconnected from our old service provider and used the same phone here. Phone to good to ditch.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Never had a problem with spam texts before the new law, nor since.  A fair few spam emails though but easy enough to spot. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

Never had a problem with spam texts before the new law, nor since.  A fair few spam emails though but easy enough to spot. 

Same here.  Registered a total of five sims, little or no issue with spam.

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Clermont said:
23 hours ago, JJReyes said:

When we came over, we just disconnected from our old service provider and used the same phone here. Phone to good to ditch.

We are here temporarily on a 3-month visit.  My wife and I didn't want to change our iPhone SIMs, so the solution was to purchase an inexpensive Nokia for local calls.  Our iPhones are used for long distance and international calls using the internet connection provided by hotels.