Health cover

stevewool
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I thought you got free health insurance in England?

Anyway, I "self insured" all the time I was in Philippines and I would do that again if I went back.

Yes while in England I get health care that I’ve paid into all my working life , I doubt it will stay free in the coming years though 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Am I right when a few folk say self insurance, you have enough cash or credit set aside to cover most cost , so if the worst happens you are ok and if nothing happens you still have the funds to make changes and enjoy life 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Is there an age limit on private health care? I heard it goes sky high when one reaches a certain age. 

I have only got PhilHealth I know it's only basic and will not cover the full cost.

When looking for prices the older you are the more the price increases to when it becomes stupid and maybe you then cannot afford it if you are on a fixed income 

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

OK, 2500$ X 15 years still Don't Cover a heart surgery in a private hospital.

Are we discussing Philippine prices or another country?  

Even in the United States, the published rate for hospitals and medical professionals is very different to what they are actually paid.  The medical insurance companies and Medicare (government) negotiate the amount with healthcare providers.  I know several wealthy Filipinos who went to Stanford Medical and Mayo Clinic for delicate surgery unavailable in the Philippines.  Because it is a cash payment situation, they and other foreigners going to the US on medical tourism receive a 40% discount.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Self- insure VS insurance, a topic that often divide members.

Back in 2011, member and former moderator MikeB was involved in a traffic accident, nearly 2 Million php in total.

Now imagine 10 hours major surgery + pre-op test, ICU, weeks in hospital, Complications and need for further tests and surgeries. My numbers before, taken from friends invoice at discharge. Surgery cost alone, is far less than total cost, and total Invoice at discharge. Some obvious fail to include this, and rather doubt my numbers. Why would I make this up??

I had my say in this topic. :biggrin:

Sub-forum Health and Hospitals, lots of good advice, experiences and different opinions.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/?forumId=25

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

Philhealth cover less than 40% from my experience. Some member wrote that local insurers demand one must have Philhealth. International insurers don't demand this.

I know, but it's free for me I'm on my wife's PhilHealth as a dependent. Better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I know, but it's free for me I'm on my wife's PhilHealth as a dependent. Better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

Didn't you say a hospital would not accept your Philhealth being a dependent recently? 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just been looking at backpackers insurance, ok it’s only for 1 year worldwide cover excluding the USA , medical cover 10 million pounds  and the cost £750 or 50600 peso and it’s not the cheapest quote plus that is for both of us too, I may look into this further as we may only be in the Philippines for months or a year or so 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Just been looking at backpackers insurance, ok it’s only for 1 year worldwide cover excluding the USA , medical cover 10 million pounds  and the cost £750 or 50600 peso and it’s not the cheapest quote plus that is for both of us too, I may look into this further as we may only be in the Philippines for months or a year or so 

That's how we do it, a regular travel insurance. We don't live here permanently, but 5-6 months per year.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I highly doubt anywhere in the Philippines charges $3k per day for an ICU room either

For a moment I thought you meant 3K pesos per day and I was going to dispute that.  But 3K dollars, in any normal dollar currency, would be out of line.  A departed friend was stuck in ICU for 5 days in 2014 ( Silliman Hospital, Dumaguete) and the bill was 25K pesos.

• Like 2