Health cover

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Retired and moved here at age 63.  When I retired we set aside XXXX dollars for a major medical emergency.  Wife and I chose to be self insured plus Philhealth and I will be 73 in May.   So far no major medical expenses for me or the wife.   If I had purchased insurance I expect it would have been canceled at 70?  So going self insured for us turned out to be a good decision.    As others have written it all depends on if you have sufficient funds for a major illness/accident and if so, what is your tolerance for risk.   Every insurance companies is in business to make a profit, and profit they do indeed.  If you self insure the odds are actually in your favor, but there is certainly a risk.   

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Well, glad you and I both got the same response letter other than our name! :shades:

From the same guy?

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I just got this quote today from an expat insurance agent.  A lot of expats in Angeles use him.  I told him I was 66.

Thanks for the info Don. Getting health insurance is on my to do list. Just waiting for my new ACR card. 

In your conversations with the agent, did he mention anything about exclusions or a waiting period for pre-existing conditions? 

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

I've heard this mentioned a few times as one of the hidden benefits of Philhealth.  

For those considering Phil Health this is an interesting rainy day read. It was one reason why I decided to apply, surprised me how quick and efficient Phil Health are to deal with, most impressed.

https://www.marriedafilipina.com/2021/02/my-pi-cancer-adventure-part-1/?fbclid=IwAR3V1rbgLcK62gu9QxFay63eIQ5Gr7lXatW3UdbC57pp77DFMTGwAPDtkPk

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

In your conversations with the agent, did he mention anything about exclusions or a waiting period for pre-existing conditions? 

Pacific Cross don't cover pre-existing conditions for the first 12 months (basically) so it's pretty much accident and infection cover until the second year.

The broker (who was recommended to me) said that all of the local insurers are the same and the only way to get cover quicker was to take out an expensive international policy.

I'm comfortable with that but others may not be (policies in Australia typically have waiting periods for pre-existing conditions anyway so it's nothing new).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Retired and moved here at age 63.  When I retired we set aside XXXX dollars for a major medical emergency.  Wife and I chose to be self insured plus Philhealth and I will be 73 in May.   So far no major medical expenses for me or the wife.   If I had purchased insurance I expect it would have been canceled at 70?  So going self insured for us turned out to be a good decision.    As others have written it all depends on if you have sufficient funds for a major illness/accident and if so, what is your tolerance for risk.   Every insurance companies is in business to make a profit, and profit they do indeed.  If you self insure the odds are actually in your favor, but there is certainly a risk.   

Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this thread.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Out of interest, do you have Philhealth under your name or are you included in your wife's policy as a dependant? 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, do you have Philhealth under your name or are you included in your wife's policy as a dependant? 

Wife's policy.  In case things have changed, I ask her to verify that I am still covered when she goes to pay the premium.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Wife's policy.  In case things have changed, I ask her to verify that I am still covered when she goes to pay the premium.  

Thanks.

I'd appreciate it if you could let us know what they say as a few of us in the same boat.  

ETA - Not that it necessarily means much but I did ask last week in the Philhealth satellite office and the assistant confirmed I was still covered - only foreigners joining now would not be able to join their wife's account.  This is in line with what we all understood but things change and not all changes are well communicated as we know! 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Thanks for the info Don. Getting health insurance is on my to do list. Just waiting for my new ACR card. 

Here are the only follow ups I have done:

How do they handle preexisting conditions?

There is a 12 month waiting period at which time there will likely be a premium increase and a benefit limit.

I have heard that at age 65, or 60, there are problems?

The plan is guaranteed renewable to age 100

• Thanks 1