Health cover

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well I’m going to be 66 when we are considered coming to the Philippines long term so health insurance may be a none starter because of my age, so travel insurance is the way forward it seems for me .

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Well I’m going to be 66 when we are considered coming to the Philippines long term so health insurance may be a none starter because of my age, so travel insurance is the way forward it seems for me .

Whilst I'm not suggesting Philhealth in itself is enough it certainly helps to offset some of the costs.  It depends how long you intend to stay here but at 17k per annum it's OK and I think it's available to all regardless of age - that will cover both you and your  wife.  I think there is a qualifying period for new members before making a claim, though.  

Just another thing to consider as a supplement to other cover/self-insurance. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Whilst I'm not suggesting Philhealth in itself is enough it certainly helps to offset some of the costs. 

One of the benefits of Philhealth is that they review the bills and don't allow charges that are too high.  I think.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

One of the benefits of Philhealth is that they review the bills and don't allow charges that are too high.  I think.

I've heard this mentioned a few times as one of the hidden benefits of Philhealth.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just got this quote today from an expat insurance agent.  A lot of expats in Angeles use him.  I told him I was 66.

Hello Don,

I hope you are well. Thank you for your interest. I have lived in the Philippines for 4 years now after 35 years in the insurance industry. I endeavor to make the process of acquiring health insurance a little less frustrating. You may count on me being around should a claim arise.

The Premier peso plan is 33,237 for you for a 500,000 annual benefit. The plan may be issued up to 1,500,000. This is a reimbursement plan.

The Blue Royale USD plan with a $2,500 deductible and a $250,000 USD limit is $1,669 annually. This includes the 25% discount for treatment area limitation which excludes treatment in Canada; United States of America, its dependent territories, and the Caribbean Islands; Japan; People’s Republic of China; Hong Kong and Singapore. I have also applied a 30% discount for a $2,500 deductible. However, you may choose a zero or $5,000 deductible. The Blue Royale plan includes an access card for hassle free check in. Pacific Cross settles directly with the hospital.

My research shows that Pacific Cross has a great reputation when it comes to paying claims. This is the consensus of the expat community and my extensive research of the insurance industry in the Philippines. They also have the most extensive network of excellent hospitals and clinics in the industry..

Pacific Cross will not decline you under any circumstances, however, to determine precisely what they will offer in your specific circumstances we need to apply. There is no cost or obligation to you.

Please review and let me know if you would like to apply or have a video call sometime.

Best Regards,

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, jimeve said:

I can't get full private health care here because of my age 69, But I'm healthy and have philhealth for what's it's worth.

No fast food for me or high carbs, cut out sugar and food that's high in carbs. Had my annual health test this morning got to go back this afternoon P3,200, includes urine and poo test.

Just to let you know of some of my blood sugar fast test. All of them was in the normal range. But my platelet count was on the lower border showing I was dehydrated. 

And my sodium (salt) was low. My  potassium was high. I was happy with my Cholesterol showing normal range especially with the amount of fat I eat. (keto diet) I Don't know why my potassium was high! I asked the Doctor why and she didn't know either.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2023 at 10:39 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

St Lukes website estimates heart surgery at $18k. I highly doubt anywhere in the Philippines charges $3k per day for an ICU room either, I doubt it's even $500.

I'd think that depends on the type of heart surgery.  I'm betting the total cost of say, triple or quad by-pass or valve replacement would be way more than that.  We paid for mom's angiogram, then angioplasty and several days hospital stay in 2020 in a Makati hospital and total bill With senior discount and PhilHealth was almost 465K php.  She's candidate for by-pass, but no way is she willing to go down that road, so the angioplasty was the lesser alternative and hopefully buys her a few more good years.

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Steve, I see Pac Blue recommended in several venues.  Has a sliding scale of different deductible options and I found them pretty responsive.  I haven't launched yet as have to be here for a month first, which I just hit that mark, but like some others here, I still have great post  Fed retirement med insurance for self/family that reimburses large % of my costs in foreign country; I just have to cover most of it up front and file claim.  As such, not sure it's worthwhile for me to add anything other than maybe PhilHealth, but still TBD. 

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I just got this quote today from an expat insurance agent.  A lot of expats in Angeles use him.  I told him I was 66.

Hello Don,

I hope you are well. Thank you for your interest. I have lived in the Philippines for 4 years now after 35 years in the insurance industry. I endeavor to make the process of acquiring health insurance a little less frustrating. You may count on me being around should a claim arise.

The Premier peso plan is 33,237 for you for a 500,000 annual benefit. The plan may be issued up to 1,500,000. This is a reimbursement plan.

The Blue Royale USD plan with a $2,500 deductible and a $250,000 USD limit is $1,669 annually. This includes the 25% discount for treatment area limitation which excludes treatment in Canada; United States of America, its dependent territories, and the Caribbean Islands; Japan; People’s Republic of China; Hong Kong and Singapore. I have also applied a 30% discount for a $2,500 deductible. However, you may choose a zero or $5,000 deductible. The Blue Royale plan includes an access card for hassle free check in. Pacific Cross settles directly with the hospital.

My research shows that Pacific Cross has a great reputation when it comes to paying claims. This is the consensus of the expat community and my extensive research of the insurance industry in the Philippines. They also have the most extensive network of excellent hospitals and clinics in the industry..

Pacific Cross will not decline you under any circumstances, however, to determine precisely what they will offer in your specific circumstances we need to apply. There is no cost or obligation to you.

Please review and let me know if you would like to apply or have a video call sometime.

Best Regards,

Well, glad you and I both got the same response letter other than our name! :shades:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Well, glad you and I both got the same response letter other than our name! :shades:

The nice thing about "cut and paste" is that there is no need to be creative more than once. :tongue:

• Like 1