Health cover

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just been looking at backpackers insurance, ok it’s only for 1 year worldwide cover excluding the USA , medical cover 10 million pounds  and the cost £750 or 50600 peso and it’s not the cheapest quote plus that is for both of us too, I may look into this further as we may only be in the Philippines for months or a year or so 

That’s holiday insurance. 
Living in a country and having expat insurance is completely different and a lot more expensive. 
If we had a decent insurance here in the Philippines it would cost us around the same price for one month as you would pay for a whole year. 
We’ve had a couple of local health insurances over the years and they are not worth it IMO. 
My advice would be cough up around 25,000php per month or more  for a decent insurance or self fund. 

Edited by Gas
  • Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

As part of my ongoing research, I am doing price comparisons between US and Philippines for medical services.  According to www.goodrx.com, the estimated cost for dialysis for Medicare members is $108,656.  At 80/20, a member pays annually, out of pocket, about $22,000.  The estimate is 15% of US adults suffer from kidney problems.

Dr. Willy Ong's YouTube channel estimate is P400,000 to P500,000 per year for dialysis.  The number of current patients in dialysis is around 80,000.  There are many more, but families can't afford it.  Their option is early death.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Didn't you say a hospital would not accept your Philhealth being a dependent recently? 

Yes, ACE eye doctor. Going to try a different Hospital who will accept my PhilHealth. Probably the hospital that treated my dengue fever in 2019 and never said anything about my philhealth discount. I have it on record that im a dependent on my wife's account. 

• Like 4

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

Here in the States, I pay $416 USD per month for my Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). Plus, with Medicare Advantage (which is my primary health insurer), I pay $14 USD per month with my discounted rate.

At 69 years of age, I am uninsurable in the Philippines--therefore, I'm not willing to take the risk involved with ever going back (not even for a brief visit).

• Like 4
  • I'm Confused 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I self insured during my recent heart procedures, 5 days in a private hospital in Cagayan De Oro (private room at 3000 peso per night), emergency room treatment 7000 pesos plus food and medicines 14000 peso (some of which I already had which reduced the total).  Total of 36,000 pesos, angiogram cost was 60,000 pesos.

I didn't need stents (turns out I've got micro vascular angina (sometimes called cardiac syndrome X) but that would have been been between 400,000 and 600,000 pesos (1 to 3 stents).  The other private hospital in CDO was about 100,000 peso cheaper.

A bypass wasn't something they normally did there (trip to Cebu or Manila) but the cardiologist said maybe 1.5 million pesos for the operation plus time and medicine in hospital for recovery.

For comparison I recently asked for and got a quotation for Pacific Cross (which both of the local private hospitals accept), for me; 500,000 peso limit - 17,000 peso per year (ward) or 750,000 peso limit 32,000 peso per year (semi-private) or 1,500,000 peso limit would be 51,000 peso per year (private room) plus options for dental and a few other things if wanted.

People's budgets obviously vary but after sitting in a hospital room thinking about the possibility of a 1.5 million peso plus bill I'm definitely going to get insurance ready for my return on March 7th.  That would have more than wiped out my emergency fund it would have maxxed my credit card as well.

NB they evidently only insure until 65 so not an option for everyone.

I can't get full private health care here because of my age 69, But I'm healthy and have philhealth for what's it's worth.

No fast food for me or high carbs, cut out sugar and food that's high in carbs. Had my annual health test this morning got to go back this afternoon P3,200, includes urine and poo test.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

I can't get full private health care here because of my age 69, But I'm healthy and have philhealth for what's it's worth.

Yes, post 65 have much fewer options in the Philippines for cover and what's available is more limited and (much) more expensive.

I suspect I'll be going back down the 'Phil Health & emergency fund' route post 65 as well (due to a lack of other options).

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, jimeve said:

32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Yes, post 65 have much fewer options in the Philippines for cover and what's available is more limited and (much) more expensive.

I suspect I'll be going back down the 'Phil Health & emergency fund' route post 65 as well (due to a lack of other options).

This is the crux of the matter for me and a big part of my decision to self-insure - I don't fancy paying $2,500 per annum for the next 10 years when I'm less likely to need a major treatment and then get kicked out when I start to become more of a risk.  

ETA - I wonder what folks' experiences are with renewing policies after making a significant claim in terms of premium increases or even availability of ongoing cover?  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 4