Too dangerous to answer phone on bus?

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted

Obviously I realize there are "snatchers" on buses in Metro Manilla that can take phones. I called partner on her way home from a girl's night out and she said she can't answer because she is on bus and there are "snatchers". I just find it odd that she can't answer a call but texting is perfectly fine. Am I missing something here? 🤔 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, John the grizzly674 said:

Am I missing something here?

I can think of a few reasons, but not good ones.  Sounds like she did not want someone to hear her conversation with you.  Who was she with?

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, John the grizzly674 said:

Obviously I realize there are "snatchers" on buses in Metro Manilla that can take phones. I called partner on her way home from a girl's night out and she said she can't answer because she is on bus and there are "snatchers". I just find it odd that she can't answer a call but texting is perfectly fine. Am I missing something here? 🤔 

If you’re talking about Jeepny’s then yeah, it would be pretty easy for someone outside to reach up and grab a phone from someone as they hold it to their ear. Not really much of an issue if they tightly hold onto their phone in front of them and text (or even talk while wearing earphones). But as Dave pointed out, I’d be a little suspicious as to why she didn’t answer. It could also be as simple as she doesn’t want her friends to know she’s dating a foreigner (do they?) as they’ll likely think she’s now got money to burn and they will constantly want to “borrow” from her or expect her pay for their nights out. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Been a couple years since I have ridden the bus but it was not unusual for multiple phone conversations to be going on.  I have never heard of a phone being snatched on a bus.  Jeepney, walking, yes but never a bus.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, John the grizzly674 said:

I must admit I tend towards the concensus that it seems strange. On a jeepney, maybe she'd have grounds for concern but a bus? How would the snatcher get away?

Anyhow, if it's a one-off (the fact you're asking maybe suggests it's not?) then file it at the back of your mind but if it's another episode then maybe you need to ask some searching questions - or something more drastic.

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted

I got into a long distance relationship with this woman during lockdown. I never planned on an online relationship.

I recently came out of an 11 year marriage. I am Muslim and she is Catholic. He sister converted to Islaam.

I have never had problem getting woman and have many options as friends have contacted me about potentoal spouses. We are compatiblw in looks, career and education. I have just became very attached to this particular woman.

The first year I did not trust her at all and mentioned that I was aware of scammers.

She claims to be have had no sexual relationships due to her Catholic background. She came across very ahy at fist but things did eventually escalate to intimidate sessions together via video chat which have continued up until now. We video chat each evening.

I plan to visit early next year. Recently u have been reading a lot more about female psychology and scammers who play the long game. I have now became increasingly paranoid or should I say vigilant.

Last week I examined her FB account more critically and found some of her photos to be a tad sexual and it looked like she may be seeking male validation. To me this is inappropriate in a monogamous relationship.

She since agreed to remove the photos but it has just changed my thoughts on whether she is truly this religious girl as she claims. 

Asking for money is a red flag. I sent money to her one year in via Weston Union. I sent small amounts once a month. She works 5 days a week and I have her physical work address. Despite working she claims to be short sometimes and her father did need medical help and he since died. This is all 100 percent confirmed with certainty.

Despite this I refused to send her the small amounts one year ago. This was 1) because I agree with idea,that it should not be done until meeting in person and 2) to test her and see her reaction. She has not asked for around a year but I often suspect if she is playing the long game.

Her account was blocked on Weston Union. I looked it up and found lots of info about account being blocked for no good reason as WU can be overly cautious. I then sent to her brother who collected. As I said I have not sent funds for over a year.

We have been on contaxt 4 years. She calls me every night and contexts me daily without fail. 

I just have my doubts after reading so,many horror stories.

As for the gut instinct stuff then yeah I kind of agree. But I have had many times in life where my gut instinct was wrong and I was just being paranoid.

If I travel in January then I have back up arrangements as I have friends in Indonesia. That way the trip is not wasted

But I am considering investigating further to save myself time.

I am sure there are many members here in Manilla.

There are likely many types as I am on phone.

Feel free to move this post to another section and I will copy and paste it perhaps.

I fully acknowledge that I may be being played here and this is why I have reached out. However it's not that easy to just end it based on suspicion. I need solid evidence to make a firm decision

So yeah the incident last night was part of a bigger suspicion

It led to a small argument. When she got home she said she wanted to discuss it in morning.

I suspect that she may have not been home but still out and that she used this as a way to get me off the trail.

It's just the way she said earlier in the week I have a "girls night out" that struck alarm bells. She didn't say I am going to my friends for dinner which she later said was the purpose of the event. The wording just seems like something Atypical to me.

Anyway that is this fiasco in brief. 

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted

I am from New Zealand and european

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted

I may type this up properly later when I switch to pc abd move it to abither section

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lee said:

Your gut is telling you that there might be a problem with your partner or you wouldn't have opened an account to post a query on this MB.

Your gut (instincts) is almost always correct and should be paid attention to. 

I agree with Lee. This is why I am paying more attention. There have been times where my gut instinct was wrong and lead me to erroneous suspicion. This is why I need solid evidence to make a firm decision.

It should be noted, in my previous marriage my ex wife was very attractive and capable of getting men easily. However, in spite of that, not once did I suspect her even when the marriage got rocky. So paranoia is not a trait I typically possess.