Too dangerous to answer phone on bus?

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted

Thank you @John the grizzly674 to your considered responses to my divers comments.

I wish you and gf well.  Hope it works out.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Lee said:

We are talking 2 things here----a minor OR a person 10 yrs or more junior to (typically the man).

There seems to be considerable debate on the language of the law.

<snip>(b) Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.<end snip>

Some legal types agree with your opinion where any minor 12 and under, anytime 10 year difference. 

Others say the say a comma was left out (should read , . . . .twelve (12) years or under, or who in ten (10) years . . . ) the law means:

1 - Any minor 12 or under

2 - A minor (18 or under) where the "any person" is 10 or more years older.

In this case the 10 year gap only applies if the person being "dated" is 12 - 18 years old.  It is the second interpretation that seems to make more sense and is being enforced.   Many many expats here date and/or marry Filipina where the age difference exceeds 10 years.  I have never heard of anyone getting into any legal trouble as long as the Filipina is over the age of 18.  

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Now there's a red flag.  Why does she have a passport?

Very unusual for a young, single, Filipina to have a passport, unless she works, or has worked, as an OFW.  Has she done that?  Or is she from a wealthy family and has taken frequent vacations abroad?

Nope.. its a status thing for many Filipinos to have the passport but maybe never used it.

Many of the ladies Ive dated ( 20 /30 plus  years  younger than myself but definitely not minors ) all had passports but had yet to use it. Again, overthinking.

Now if she has stamps for Singapore HK short trips THAT might be a red flag.

• Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Lee said:

Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place

The way I read this is "any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor who is 12 years or under (that is a minor less than 12 years of age) is subject to the noted penalty, no matter the age of the adult.

Then "any person who is in keeping with a minor who is ten (10) years or more his junior in a public place is also subject to the penalty.

That is to say an adult with a minor between the age of 12 and 17 where the adult is more than 10 years their senior in age is also subject to the penalty.

I've been told that an adult (Filipino) who is less than 10 years senior in age to a minor between the ages of 12 and 17 isn't breaking that particular Filipino law (there is a cousin of SWMBO in his early twenties in a relationship with a 17 year old that would be in this situation for example), I was curious so I asked an ate who is a Police officer.

So... to summarize... nothing about this particular law applies to relationships between adult Filipinos and adult foreigners IMHO.

• Like 2

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Freebie said:

Nope.. its a status thing for many Filipinos to have the passport but maybe never used it.

Many of the ladies Ive dated ( 20 /30 plus  years  younger than myself but definitely not minors ) all had passports but had yet to use it. Again, overthinking.

Now if she has stamps for Singapore HK short trips THAT might be a red flag.

Yeah exactly. I know 100 percent she has not traveled and this makes perfect sense. There is no need to keep overthinkng at this point. If she wanted to scam someone I don't think wasting 4 years on me would be the best strategy. It's not exactly efficient. There would be easier ways to achieve her goals. If anything I think outsiders would suspect me to be using her rather than the other way around

Not that I am but I could imagine people in her inner circle may think that until I visit

John the grizzly674
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

I shall tell you about my experience with the Philippines , I started talking to my future wife for 3 years before we meet face to face , we talked everyday either on the phone or computer and I did start to send her a little cash but that was only so she had funds for her phone , she did not work but was there to help her sisters look after there children and keep there houses clean , she was 33 years of age and never had boyfriends and spent her free time talking to folk on the internet .

One time I tried to get in contact with her and I could not and it had taken about a week to finally get in touch with her , I was angry with her and after I had my shouting match she told me reason why , she had no funds to put money on her phone or go to the computer shop, but what about the funds I send you I asked , I have to eat Steve was her answer , what a shock that was to me well after that I made sure she had enough funds and we have been happily married for over 12 years now , so again if she is the right one for you and you are for her then go get her 

Wow. That is fantastic.

It also shows how there is so much more nuance to this issue of sending money. Everything is contextual. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

I shall tell you about my experience with the Philippines , I started talking to my future wife for 3 years before we meet face to face , we talked everyday either on the phone or computer and I did start to send her a little cash but that was only so she had funds for her phone , she did not work but was there to help her sisters look after there children and keep there houses clean , she was 33 years of age and never had boyfriends and spent her free time talking to folk on the internet .

One time I tried to get in contact with her and I could not and it had taken about a week to finally get in touch with her , I was angry with her and after I had my shouting match she told me reason why , she had no funds to put money on her phone or go to the computer shop, but what about the funds I send you I asked , I have to eat Steve was her answer , what a shock that was to me well after that I made sure she had enough funds and we have been happily married for over 12 years now , so again if she is the right one for you and you are for her then go get her 

Yep.

Whilst it's true that your story may be the exception rather than the rule, Steve, It's by no means unique or rare.  In such matters I'd say trust your gut and not everyone around you's regardless of their good intentions.  If we had all listened to the naysayers this site would be a pretty barren place, albeit we are examples of success stories and not necessarily the average.  

Proceed with care, I'd say.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I would like to add the idea of only spending three weeks with someone before marriage etc would worry me. I have seen so many women turn into completely different people once their guard slips. Girls who I've known for years and got on great with when I spent 30 mins here and there and lots of chats online turned out to be so different once you spend a day or two with them. 

I have a great partner and have had some of those girls holiday with us. Talk about frustrating people once your stuck with them for 24hrs when it's only friendship and your not in a sexual relationship. 

A good few of my friends have commented similarly after they moved their partners in and 6 months down the line her guard drops and they realise they've actually nothing in common and at times frustrated by her actions. Most of us old gits have already lost out financially in one relationship. Another failed one could clear us out. 

• Like 4