When will they prioritize education?

Lee
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Filipinos are a unified culture, God Country Family

Your experiences on this subject are certainly different from mine.

I don't see most Filipinos caring a whit about most of the items that you mentioned. Perhaps I need to get out more.

• Like 2

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Why do Filipinos working in cruise ships and merchant vessels have a reputation as hard workers?  They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Perhaps the better pay compared to what is paid in the Philippines is a good incentive.  

Its the same in all places.  Some do, and some don't.  I have some friends that work very hard,  they do surgery and then run a business and then lead other activities.    At the same time I have other friends that don't do anything.  I never figured out the root differences,  but for sure some behave different than others.  

• Like 1

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gator said:

Or even simple math. At the market the other day the total was 382 pesos. Wife gave the young girl (about 16-17 I’d guess) 502 pesos. After staring at it for a while I said change is 120 pesos. The wife repeated it in Bisaya. Girl while nodding her head yes pulls out her phone and does the math. 

It gets better. She then hands the pesos to her father, who had watched and undoubtedly over heard our conversation. She tells him 120 pesos change. He pulls out his cell phone and does the math before giving the wife change! 2 generations of no genetics for academics? 

Without an electronic cash register or a phone kids today (and often adults as well) can’t do simple math. To be fair, I’ve seen this often in the USA as well, but it’s no where near as prevalent  as here. 

I do the same thing by now.  I guess its monkey see monkey do.  Others will believe the cell phone calc,  I just play along and it goes ok.  But for sure its silly.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Why do Filipinos working in cruise ships and merchant vessels have a reputation as hard workers?  They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Perhaps the better pay compared to what is paid in the Philippines is a good incentive.  

I said many of the locals. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Those are OFWs.  Most OFWs became OFWs because they have some drive and ambition, and maybe better education.  I think they are only 1-2% of the population.

We have some Filipino friends that we met after they returned to Luzon, after 8 years in Bahrain.  He is an engineer and was looking for jobs here.  However, nothing comparable to overseas work panned out.  After 2 years here (and building a new house) he got a job in Singapore.  Within a year he moved jobs to Amazon in Singapore.  Then after another year or two, Amazon wanted him to move to the U.S.  So now they are in Hayward, CA, for at least 5 years now.  That detail was mostly to show that he has overseas living experience, and ambition.

Semi-related to the topic, he told me, using driving as an example, the Filipinos who are overseas follow all the rules.  Of course they have to or they get in trouble.  Then, when they return to PH, it all goes out the window.  Back to dog eat dog driving.  No enforcement and corruption is the way of driving here.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 8/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, JJReyes said:

Sports are a priority.  Never mind short, stocky Filipinos are not very good at international competition, including basketball.  We can always import players and call them our own.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
Just now, jjcabgou said:

Sports are absolutely not a priority at all.  A vast vast vast majority of the schools have no sports programs whatsoever.    And education will never be a priority, the wealthy in the country absolutely do not want things to change.   Maintaining status quo means cheap labor, drivers, yaya's, gardeners, house keepers etc... and a feeling of superiority (generally speaking of course).  I have put 3 children through school here (private school), I went to all the teachers meetings, participated in all the schools events etc., and every time I voiced my concern about certain issues, I was told, very politely, its not our fault, it is the fault of the DepEd.     I have had high school graduates ask me:  "what 5 X 5 is,  have we ever landed on the sun, and where is Indonesia".   Its heartbreaking to witness, and a shame that the powers to be dont want to change.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jjcabgou said:

Sports are absolutely not a priority at all.  A vast vast vast majority of the schools have no sports programs whatsoever.    And education will never be a priority, the wealthy in the country absolutely do not want things to change.   Maintaining status quo means cheap labor, drivers, yaya's, gardeners, house keepers etc... and a feeling of superiority (generally speaking of course).  I have put 3 children through school here (private school), I went to all the teachers meetings, participated in all the schools events etc., and every time I voiced my concern about certain issues, I was told, very politely, its not our fault, it is the fault of the DepEd.     I have had high school graduates ask me:  "what 5 X 5 is,  have we ever landed on the sun, and where is Indonesia".   Its heartbreaking to witness, and a shame that the powers to be dont want to change.

You are referring to public school, right? A sadder thing is that a poorer level of education is offered to public school students, and much poorer.  I will conceded that in most countries private education trumps public but not by as much as here. It seems the end result of this is highly predictable even if it isn't the goal - and it may even be the goal.

And to think some folk accuse us Brits of having a class system! :whistling:

ETA - I reread your post and see you were actually referring to private school. 

Edited by hk blues

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee said:

Your experiences on this subject are certainly different from mine.

Maybe,  there are few if any countries more unified than the Philippines, another aspect that makes it so desirable for expats.

Just a recent example, a well-known tranny disrespected the national religion. The response? Banned from most cities. God Country Family is everything here.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, jjcabgou said:

Its heartbreaking to witness

To an outsider, it's almost like your priorities are not their priorities. To them (and to me), what's happening in our country is far more heartbreaking. Here they'll happily put on their work uniform, make a few hundred peso every day, settle down and have six kids. And watch as the expats escape theirp own broken nations and come to Philippines desperately looking for good women and a happy life.