When will they prioritize education?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Just a recent example, a well-known tranny disrespected the national religion.

Name?  I googled.  I would like to read about it.

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Name?  I googled.  I would like to read about it.

Luka Pura (real name Amadeus Fernando Pagente). Numerous articles about it being declared persona no grata in General Santos City. AM says it’s also recently been banned in Cebu too.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/amp/news/07/21/23/pura-luka-vega-declared-persona-non-grata-in-gensan

(And yes I purposely used “it”. If you’re not a he or a she then your an it…..or is it a shim?….so confusing!) 🤣

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Luka Pura (real name Amadeus Fernando Pagente). Numerous articles about it being declared persona no grata in General Santos City. AM says it’s also recently been banned in Cebu too.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/amp/news/07/21/23/pura-luka-vega-declared-persona-non-grata-in-gensan

(And yes I purposely used “it”. If you’re not a he or a she then your an it…..or is it a shim?….so confusing!) 🤣

I believe the term is a 'they' nowadays.  

Possum
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Why do Filipinos working in cruise ships and merchant vessels have a reputation as hard workers?  They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Perhaps the better pay compared to what is paid in the Philippines is a good incentive.  

The Filipinos on cruise and cargo ships do make more than they would in the Philippines. They work hard perhaps because they can be easily replaced. A simple call the contracting agency in the Philippines and  poof they are gone. They are also well trained. Philippine Maritime Academy grads are highly sought after. On the cruise ships if they are in a position to make tips they do well though the salary is minimal. I hope the caste system has changed since I worked briefly for a cruise line years ago. I wrote a promotion recommendation for an excellent 3nd electrician who was subsequently promoted to 2nd. I told him I would happily write another later for a promotion to 1st but he said he couldn't be promoted to 1st because he is Filipino, only Indians, E. Europeans etc were 1st electricians. This was true at the time. There was a clear caste system on cruise ships, unwritten of course. On cargo ships that was not the case.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

After reading many replies on this thread I’m just wondering what are you folks who have young child who are at school or college age thinking and maybe helping plan there future if the education system is as bad as it sounds 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, stevewool said:

After reading many replies on this thread I’m just wondering what are you folks who have young child who are at school or college age thinking and maybe helping plan there future if the education system is as bad as it sounds 

It's not as bad as it sounds for every student, Steve. My son is 11 and attends a relatively good private school here. Whilst at times I do question some of the activities in that they do have more 'cultural' events than I had when I was a Primary school student but who am I to say it's a bad thing?  As for the core subjects, they seem to be not far off what I was studying at the same age.  

It's true that the overall standard of education here is below par but it's definitely not the case across the whole spectrum.  As I said in another post, one of the saddest things here is the simple fact that the poor are left behind but with a little money a reasonable standard of education can be bought.  You also have to throw in the hope that your child wants to work at school and sees education as a path to a better life - many here haven't seen those role models that motivate them to work harder save their OFW Aunt who cleans for a Chinese family in Hong Kong and earns a lot of money doing so even if she didn't got o college or university (my own wife was one of those) so that hardly encourages study. 

In the UK I'd say education has always been seen as the key to success in life - here, it's seen as one possible key but not necessarily the only one or even the most important one.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Quite a few leave for exactly that reason. 

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

I’m just wondering what are you folks who have young child who are at school or college age thinking and maybe helping plan there future if the education system is as bad as it sounds 

Good question.

39 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not as bad as it sounds for every student

Some private schools are decent but the question was about a post-education future, meaning work, income.

Basically, there isn't any. The poor kids serve (here or abroad) and the rich kids have families that help them.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

There are 3 education systems here. High expense private school which are out of reach for the average parent, mid-level private schools which relatively high earning parents can send their children to and then public school which the majority attend. We send our children to a mid-level private school  and supplement that with online classes based on the Singapore Education system. They do very well but any education depends upon parental involvement,  The plan is for them to go to college outside the Philippines. The top rated university in the Philippines is ranked #1338 which is not even a consideration. If I were to compare their education here vs public education in the USA I would say the potential is there if you supplement the study and one big plus is there aren't any mass shootings in schools here so far.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Possum said:

supplement that with online classes based on the Singapore Education system

Can give me some info on that?