When will they prioritize education?

Joey G
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kingpin said:

The gap stays massive because the West continually declines.

One can surmise... but it isn't massive now.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I appreciate those expected replies from Westerners not understanding the sense of unity and pride that Filipinos (and Asia in general) have, that no longer exists in the West. Very different cultures.

Not sure about the US but international sporting events are a much bigger thing in most of Europe than the Philippines, not even close.

England actually have a half Filipino guy playing for them now in the Rugby world cup, I doubt any FIlipinos even know who he is.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Joey G said:

it isn't massive now.

It's the same as it always was, a big reason why we're all here.

28 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

international sporting events are a much bigger thing in most of Europe than the Philippines

Do they suspend school and work for events? Do their presidents say "I know every x is proud to be called one today." after winning? And I don't even need to bring up Pacman...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Joey G said:

One can surmise... but it isn't massive now.

I think the size of the "gap" depends a lot on where you live.  Province, small town, big city, etc.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, craftbeerlover said:

I have had high school graduates ask me:  "what 5 X 5 is,  have we ever landed on the sun, and where is Indonesia".   Its heartbreaking to witness, and a shame that the powers to be dont want to change.

Close friend married to a school teacher, private and now public....Bluntly speaking thick as 2 short..... No way could she find fault in the above.....

Wonder how they pass the board exam...is it parrot fashion or what?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
Spoiler

7 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think the size of the "gap" depends a lot on where you live.  Province, small town, big city, etc.

And access to internet or cable or Cignal?

Edit: And access to cold beer!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

I learned something new about the education system here. I have noticed students wearing PE uniforms for many years but last week I learned they don't actually do any PE. They just wear the PE uniform once a week. I asked what kind of silly theater this was and got the 'always been that way' answer. The PE uniform is just an added expense.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Possum said:

I learned something new about the education system here. I have noticed students wearing PE uniforms for many years but last week I learned they don't actually do any PE. They just wear the PE uniform once a week. I asked what kind of silly theater this was and got the 'always been that way' answer. The PE uniform is just an added expense.

Not the case in my son's school, Possum - they have PE one day a week and each term they focus on a different sport i.e. they had volleyball and badminton in the past few months. It was the same in his previous school as well.  The PE kit is actually provided free although we do have to provide the sneakers.  

Might not be the case everywhere though.

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not the case in my son's school, Possum - they have PE one day a week and each term they focus on a different sport i.e. they had volleyball and badminton in the past few months. It was the same in his previous school as well.  The PE kit is actually provided free although we do have to provide the sneakers.  

You are fortunate. My kid's school has no sports unless you count walking to the cafeteria. Maybe it changes in middle school but in elementary school? Nada

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

You are fortunate. My kid's school has no sports unless you count walking to the cafeteria. Maybe it changes in middle school but in elementary school? Nada

What I will add is that what counted as PE in his previous school was suspect i.e. dancing, running in the playground etc but at least it was outside and involved some form of exercise.