When will they prioritize education?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's one of the contradictions of the English language that public schools are actually more akin to private schools elsewhere.  They were called public because they were open to the public - as long as they could afford to pay hence often filled with the more elite. Private schools were often linked to religion and as such not open to the general public.

Perhaps your assessment and analysis is correct. However, let me point out that at least today (recent few years, at least) it is the poor who are attending the so-called "public schools." L has told me numerous times about students showing up to school with no food nor money for food for lunch. She has personally provided meals to some of them at times and encouraged other teachers to share at least snacks, rice, or other foods that might be extra or they are willing to share.

But you are possibly correct that there is a disconnect between what we, English speakers (or American or Canadian speakers), think of as private vs. public schools here in the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps your assessment and analysis is correct. However, let me point out that at least today (recent few years, at least) it is the poor who are attending the so-called "public schools." L has told me numerous times about students showing up to school with no food nor money for food for lunch. She has personally provided meals to some of them at times and encouraged other teachers to share at least snacks, rice, or other foods that might be extra or they are willing to share.

But you are possibly correct that there is a disconnect between what we, English speakers (or American or Canadian speakers), think of as private vs. public schools here in the Philippines.

I think you've completely misunderstood my post, Tommy. I was only pointing out that the term "public school" in the UK is a misnomer - a fun fact if you will.  It was nothing to do with public schools here in the Philippines, or indeed anywhere else including USA or Canada. 

ETA - maybe I should have said British English language rather than just English language in my earlier post. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 8/17/2023 at 3:03 AM, Kingpin said:

international competition is about supporting your nation, something far more important

In related news...

President Ferdinand "Bong Bong" Marcos Jr. also showed his appreciation to the team, writing: "I know every Filipino is proud to be called one today. Congratulations, Gilas Pilipinas, on this incredible feat! Your hard work continues to elevate Filipino athleticism and sportsmanship to the global arena. Many others gave their heartiest appreciation over Gilas Pilipinas' remarkable accomplishment." - https://philstarlife.com/news-and-views/490747-filipinos-express-pride-after-gilas-wins-gold-against-jordan?page=2

A sense of pride in one's nation and people, always good to see especially in contrast to our own nations in the Western world.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

In related news...

A sense of pride in one's nation and people, always good to see especially in contrast to our own nations in the Western world.

Filipinos love their basketball, but....

Top players in the Jordan win::

Justin Brownlee - American

Ange Kouame - Ivory Coast

Chris Newsome - American

Tim Cone - Star coach - American

Filipinos don't pay nearly as much attention to track and field, but it is growing in popularity.  I take my kids to swimming lessons at a YMCA pool that is next to a college oval track, and I see some young runners there who are very into it.  The biggest Filipino track and field star ever (I think), is EJ Obiena, and Filipinos should be proud of him.  # 2 in the world in pole vault, with a current personal best of 5.94 meters, 19.48 ft.   I have followed pole vaulting for years, and usually record changes are measured in very small amounts of CM or inches.  Unfortunately for EJ, the world #1 is Sweden's Armand Duplantis, who at 6.23 m, 20 ft 5.25 in, is almost a foot above EJ, which is amazing.  I have seen EJ clear 5.9 m by a lot, so I think he will get over 6 m in the near future.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

387101449_708219347840753_9089923219503989949_n.jpg

• Haha 2

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

In related news...

Pride, without justifiable reason, is just arrogance & ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Each of us should celebrate our respective nations' sporting success, or indeed any global success in any field, but when the source of national pride is almost only related to beauty pageants or minority sports then maybe that pride should be tempered.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

I appreciate those expected replies from Westerners not understanding the sense of unity and pride that Filipinos (and Asia in general) have, that no longer exists in the West. Very different cultures.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

In my last few trips... the Philippines seems a lot more westernized than when I first went there in the 70's.  The gap may very well close in the next generation or two.  

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

In my last few trips... the Philippines seems a lot more westernized than when I first went there in the 70's.

Very true, but

1 hour ago, Joey G said:

The gap may very well close in the next generation or two.  

The gap stays massive because the West continually declines.