Giving Away My Premium Ebook To Members

No name
Posted
Posted (edited)
I finished reading your book. The book was well written, It has a lot of good info in it especially for a newbie. Wish I could have read it before I started coming to the Philippines. It was a little short for a $50 book. Adding a few pics of scenery would make it more colorful. Might be nice to have some info on hotels and a little more on dealing with the people. Here is what I found hard to deal with in Philippines :The HumidityCommunication with most Filipinos ( walking by Filipinos and saying hi and wishing you could stop and talk with them) but most can not understand you.Every one staring at you all the timePeople always saying yes when they don,t really mean it.Most people want to know whats it really like to live here. You could write one chapter about a day in the life of Rusty and describe a typical day you had.I like how you talked about some foreigners always complained about things here. We all do it at times but most things I complain about here I had the same complaints back in my home country.All in all its a good book, Just needs a little more info to justify the cost of it. Great job Rusty
Thanks for the Feedback I don't sell it for $50 . That's what a third party valued it at. Yes, the book is intended for newbies. Someone else, that didn't read my book, complained that these books have too much information about resorts and too many photos that just make it longer without adding any real content Edited by Cebu Experience

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I read it ....I will refrain from a review as I agree with SJP...way too short on substance for what the price is and most of the information basic PI 101 that you can get reading in any forum. I enjoy your blog, disagree strongly on your politics, but enjoy your open views of your life on a whole, as any man who bears his soul, good and bad, IMHO, is a honest, good and true man. If there is anything ever you need as far as support emotionally, or need a friend to talk with, lets get this Brooklyn accent and deep southern drawl together and share a beer. I was once stuck up in Bogo City you know, alone, at a Jollibee...and could of used your company. :any-help:Thanks for the ebook Randy...much obliged. I have read over 5 books on the PI I ordered from Amazon, and read many a forum...so all this was old news, and very limited in length. Needs to be 4- 5 times the information to make it worthwhile IMHO. It was a bit all over as well...but with better structure and more information, you could have a hit...as your style is blunt, intelligent and very southern in the story lines....a plus :thumbsup:BTW, as a New Yorker...complaining with humor is what we do...it's simply a Yankee culture trait for a big city. I could be in the playboy mansion, rich and drunk...but still have to complain rant for a laugh....fake boobs, or funny toilets :woohoo:

brock
Posted
Posted

Hi Rusty, Enjoyed the read, But I couldnt understand your take on the firearm law, It reads as though it is possible for a foreigner to own a firearm ?

No name
Posted
Posted
I read it ....I will refrain from a review as I agree with SJP...way too short on substance for what the price is and most of the information basic PI 101 that you can get reading in any forum. I enjoy your blog, disagree strongly on your politics, but enjoy your open views of your life on a whole, as any man who bears his soul, good and bad, IMHO, is a honest, good and true man. If there is anything ever you need as far as support emotionally, or need a friend to talk with, lets get this Brooklyn accent and deep southern drawl together and share a beer. I was once stuck up in Bogo City you know, alone, at a Jollibee...and could of used your company. :any-help:Thanks for the ebook Randy...much obliged. I have read over 5 books on the PI I ordered from Amazon, and read many a forum...so all this was old news, and very limited in length. Needs to be 4- 5 times the information to make it worthwhile IMHO. It was a bit all over as well...but with better structure and more information, you could have a hit...as your style is blunt, intelligent and very southern in the story lines....a plus :thumbsup:BTW, as a New Yorker...complaining with humor is what we do...it's simply a Yankee culture trait for a big city. I could be in the playboy mansion, rich and drunk...but still have to complain rant for a laugh....fake boobs, or funny toilets :woohoo:
Thanks for your time

No name
Posted
Posted
Hi Rusty, Enjoyed the read, But I couldnt understand your take on the firearm law, It reads as though it is possible for a foreigner to own a firearm ?
I don't remember even covering that but yes it is possible.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I finished reading your book. The book was well written, It has a lot of good info in it especially for a newbie. Wish I could have read it before I started coming to the Philippines. It was a little short for a $50 book. Adding a few pics of scenery would make it more colorful. Might be nice to have some info on hotels and a little more on dealing with the people. Here is what I found hard to deal with in Philippines :The HumidityCommunication with most Filipinos ( walking by Filipinos and saying hi and wishing you could stop and talk with them) but most can not understand you.Every one staring at you all the timePeople always saying yes when they don,t really mean it.Most people want to know whats it really like to live here. You could write one chapter about a day in the life of Rusty and describe a typical day you had.I like how you talked about some foreigners always complained about things here. We all do it at times but most things I complain about here I had the same complaints back in my home country.All in all its a good book, Just needs a little more info to justify the cost of it. Great job Rusty
Thanks for the Feedback I don't sell it for $50 . That's what a third party valued it at. Yes, the book is intended for newbies. Someone else, that didn't read my book, complained that these books have too much information about resorts and too many photos that just make it longer without adding any real content
I have never written a book or know anything about writing a book. But one thing I do know is when I read a book it is added value to have pictures when you are talking about something or somewhere. There is a lot of negative things in your book about the Philippines ( all true ) that is why you need to add lots of the positive thing in the Philippines and one of those positives is its scenery. When I was first going to the Philippines one of the hassles was trying to find a good hotel at a reasonable price or some one who could help me find one. You want people to say, Oh buy Rusty,s book it has everything in there that will help you with your visit to the Philippines. Rusty you did a nice job on the book. I am just giving you a few things that I found would have been nice to have seen in there.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

One aspect of the book I enjoyed that others don't cover too often was the flirting section, and how he managed to get not one, but two phone numbers in front of his girl friend. :th_thsmilies-29057:Now, as I suggested, it was very generic as to many other reads out there and short, but I certainly would love to read his more in debt books, say intermediate expat training. I enjoy his writing style, his bluntness and his southern charm that comes through on every page...as though the writer is actually across a table talking to you.So, while a bit all over and short, I would recommend it to a beginner if the price was right, and he had no access to any internet or any forum....just for the style of the writer.

UZI
Posted
Posted
LEGALLY...??? No it is not. If that is an example of what you have in your book, then you are giving poor (and potentially dangerous)advice IMHO

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
LEGALLY...??? No it is not. If that is an example of what you have in your book, then you are giving poor (and potentially dangerous)advice IMHO
I am not sure if I follow you Uzi, what would be dangerous for a non Filipino to apply for a firearms permit? I am sorry I do not see where that would be dangerous, but owning one without a permit would be. I had been told by a few of the larger gun shops in Manila, and one in Cagayan de Oro, that they could get me a gun permit to carry a firearm if I owned a business and could prove that I carried a lot of cash on me, I never followed through because I am retired and have no intention of getting into business in the Philippines or anywhere else in the world, because my business years are behind me and I hope to keep it that way, and just enjoy my retirement years without all the worries of a business.  One thing I have learned about the Philippines in my years of visiting and living part time is, that no rule is steadfast and it is more about who you know and who you are willing to pay off or pay enough money to get something from, as to what can or cannot be done, and what can be had. I honestly believe that I can get a gun permit if I really wanted to have one, and a number of high ranking police officers that I spoke to at the time confirmed what the gun shops had told me, but again that was years ago and I do not feel I need a gun while living in a condo or gated community in the Philippines, but if we did have a full time home that was not in a gated community and not amongst family and friends, then my wife would have a shotgun permit for the home and a handgun permit so to keep one in the car while away from home, and my wife is a good enough shot for me to feel comfortable letting her do whatever might be necessary if that day ever came. Better a Filipino kill another Filipino if need be IMHO. It is my opinion that it would be a lose lose situation for me, if I ever had to kill someone outside our home, so I pray that day never comes.

UZI
Posted
Posted
I had been told by a few of the larger gun shops in Manila, and one in Cagayan de Oro, that they could get me a gun permit to carry a firearm
Nudge nudge wink wink. Thanks Lee you made my point. Getting a permit & getting one LEGALLY is different. Making statements like "someone told me" without any solid evidence (link to the legal reference or reputable source) is IMHO a dangerous thing to do.So, if what you & Rusty are saying is true, show us the evidence