Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifWho knows! Maybe I just may go through a late late post mid life crisis, if there's such a thing and just return to the U.S. since it appears it's now doable and plus the fact, that I just hear or read so much bewildering comments about the Filipino culture on a constant basis, just makes my ears ring! Am I kidding about returning to the U.S.? Maybe not, but still contemplating about it! At least now, we have the option to do so, if we so choose to do so! As I said, who knows! SugarwareZ-034.gif kidding.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifth_hu.gifmocking.gif
Hey Art2ro,There are a lot of negative things being said about the Philippines by expats. Then look around at all the white people living in the Philippines.I think Lee is one very awesome dude. But the idea that it cost more to live in the Philippines is beyond me.I booked a flight to Palawan this month. The cost? Less than $150 RT for TWO people! I just booked a four star hotel on the beach for four nights for $350. Do that in the USA. Fly down to a cheaper place, say the Ms Gulf coast where the water is so contaminated they have warning signs on the beach (well they did 20 years ago) and stay four nights with flight for $500. Heck, I'm freaking out about that.Find a place to live in the USA with four bedrooms a half mile from the beach for $270 a month. You can't even come close to doing. You'd pay thousands of dollars a month for a place like I'm living in in the USA though, it would have central air. I don't, heck, I don't even have central hot water, no big deal. I'm totally use to that now. Don't need it.Live without a car in most places in the USA? I can get a rid to the BBQ for P7. Then eat till I'm stuffed for P150.Last week I spent the night at Bantayan Island, it cost me less than $25 but I did get the room for free. The room would have added P1200 to the cost.I absolutely love living in the Philippines. If the awesome women are enough reason, the savings in my cost of living would cause me to stay anyway. The only thing holding me back is that I feel like crap most of the time but i'd feel the same way in the USA and I'd be feeling like crap alone and too freaking broke to stick my but out the door. And I can't go out the door without carrying my freaking sidearm.A lot of the negative expat talk comes from people that hang out in the bikini bars. NOT ALL but a lot. Yes, if you spend most of your time there, you'll end up with a very jaded view of the Philippines. I went to a strip club in Memphis one time. That was enough for me. Wasn't so great there either. Though, I did LOVE the ones I went to in Atlanta. LOL Very different atmosphere to the scams attempts I faced in a Memphis strip club.I don't get the negativity at all. I can do so much more here than I can if I was in the USA. You'll pay more for imports here but you can buy about 30 of the cheap knockoffs that work just as well, just not as long for the same price. Since I can buy 30, I still come out better. LOL Actually, I don't buy very much. Spending this money for the Palawan trip is hard. I haven't spent $500 on anything in three years. :)How you feel about the Philippines is between your own ears. Lots of people moaning about the Philippines, yet they stay. Lee? Well, he goes back to the States after he's had all he can take. LOL Hey, that's cool. It isn't for everyone. For me, it was the best choice I have ever made.
What's up Rusty? Boy, I really envy you discovering more of the tropical paradise. A long time ago, I had a chance to visit Puerto Princessa, Palawan and was not impressed. However, whenever I get there, a trip to Bantayan Island (north of Cebu Island) would be most enticing.Indeed, the cost of travelling around PI is very reasonable and most beach resorts offering a million dollar view is well within the budget minded traveler. I can imagine just lounging in my private white sand cove, with aqua blue waters, drinking cold beer and watching hot women. And if you get hungry, you could summon a nearby fisherman, have it cooked in front of you as you grab another cold one. I am glad that you're up and about, enjoying life to the fullest.Respectfully -- Jake
Love this thread!!!! Yes things are not good for us right now, but they would much worse if we were back in Canada or the UK. If we are going to go through hard times, why not do so in such a beautiful place, with such great people around us?Great stuff guys, keep it up!Papa Carl

No name
Posted
Posted
What's up Rusty? Boy, I really envy you discovering more of the tropical paradise. A long time ago, I had a chance to visit Puerto Princessa, Palawan and was not impressed. However, whenever I get there, a trip to Bantayan Island (north of Cebu Island) would be most enticing.Indeed, the cost of travelling around PI is very reasonable and most beach resorts offering a million dollar view is well within the budget minded traveler. I can imagine just lounging in my private white sand cove, with aqua blue waters, drinking cold beer and watching hot women. And if you get hungry, you could summon a nearby fisherman, have it cooked in front of you as you grab another cold one. I am glad that you're up and about, enjoying life to the fullest.Respectfully -- Jake
Jake what went wrong with your trip to Palawan? it is more expensive there than where I'm use to going. I suppose Borcay would be worse, one reason I've not been. Next trip will be to Bohol, I planned to go there first but I did get a deal on the plane tickets, about half price.I've had a heck of a time with resorts there. One place advertised air con room but then mentioned that no air con at night. The said it was cool at night, I asked about the temp and they didn't reply at first. Then I asked about mosquito and I was shocked when she said "please cancel your reservation." I really didn't want to but I had no choice at that point. Huge mistake on her part. I was looking forward to staying out in the jungle until tht no air con at night thing.A side trip from Bantayan Island to Virgin beach is something many do when visiting there. Fish caught and eaten on the beach is a common thing to do. I've not made that side trip yet, cost about P1500 to do and I'm always on a budget. Hopefully next time.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey Art2ro,There are a lot of negative things being said about the Philippines by expats. Then look around at all the white people living in the Philippines.I think Lee is one very awesome dude. But the idea that it cost more to live in the Philippines is beyond me.I booked a flight to Palawan this month. The cost? Less than $150 RT for TWO people! I just booked a four star hotel on the beach for four nights for $350. Do that in the USA. Fly down to a cheaper place, say the Ms Gulf coast where the water is so contaminated they have warning signs on the beach (well they did 20 years ago) and stay four nights with flight for $500. Heck, I'm freaking out about that.Find a place to live in the USA with four bedrooms a half mile from the beach for $270 a month. You can't even come close to doing. You'd pay thousands of dollars a month for a place like I'm living in in the USA though, it would have central air. I don't, heck, I don't even have central hot water, no big deal. I'm totally use to that now. Don't need it.Live without a car in most places in the USA? I can get a rid to the BBQ for P7. Then eat till I'm stuffed for P150.Last week I spent the night at Bantayan Island, it cost me less than $25 but I did get the room for free. The room would have added P1200 to the cost.I absolutely love living in the Philippines. If the awesome women are enough reason, the savings in my cost of living would cause me to stay anyway. The only thing holding me back is that I feel like crap most of the time but i'd feel the same way in the USA and I'd be feeling like crap alone and too freaking broke to stick my but out the door. And I can't go out the door without carrying my freaking sidearm.A lot of the negative expat talk comes from people that hang out in the bikini bars. NOT ALL but a lot. Yes, if you spend most of your time there, you'll end up with a very jaded view of the Philippines. I went to a strip club in Memphis one time. That was enough for me. Wasn't so great there either. Though, I did LOVE the ones I went to in Atlanta. LOL Very different atmosphere to the scams attempts I faced in a Memphis strip club.I don't get the negativity at all. I can do so much more here than I can if I was in the USA. You'll pay more for imports here but you can buy about 30 of the cheap knockoffs that work just as well, just not as long for the same price. Since I can buy 30, I still come out better. LOL Actually, I don't buy very much. Spending this money for the Palawan trip is hard. I haven't spent $500 on anything in three years. :)How you feel about the Philippines is between your own ears. Lots of people moaning about the Philippines, yet they stay. Lee? Well, he goes back to the States after he's had all he can take. LOL Hey, that's cool. It isn't for everyone. For me, it was the best choice I have ever made.
Rusty I have compared all costs of an equal life and the only thing more expensive in the US is owning a car, car insurance, homeowners insurance, health insurance if you need it, and things along those lines, so IMHO if all things were equal, then life in the US can be less expensive or equal to many places in the Philippines. For instance, if one is over 55 then they can live in an over 55 community, in which a one bedroom can be bought for about $10,000 or a two bedroom for under $20,000, or they can be rented for around $500 to $600 a month, they include cable tv and water, as well as building insurance and they have buses or trams that take people to the malls etc and take them home on schedules, so people do not need to drive or have a car. Taxes with homestead exemption are zero because there is a 25,000 exemption if you own, and taxes on those places would not be much anyway, usually 2.% of the value. Electric here is half of what it cost in Cebu and American style foods here are less expensive than in Cebu. Example, Costco chicken if $5 and is three times the size of a chicken I can buy in Cebu for p180, and then there would be a cell phone which cost $100 for the year with Tmobile for a prepaid and gives you 1000 minutes, and so on and so on, so while those places do have monthly fees of about $300, if you do not need a car and do not need to pay for cable, water or insurance, add it up, it comes out cheaper all in all. So if a person is willing to give up a lot and live native without aircon, and outside of a major city, then yes it would be less in the Philippines but I am talking about Florida and in a major area, and if I wanted to find cheaper then maybe Arkansas or Alabama or other country area and it would be much less than Florida there for everyday costs. Apples and apples and not apples and oranges. And on top of all that, the streets and air is clean here, so while I also love Cebu, people nowadays have a choice and I just wanted to point it out to them, but of course when it comes to women, the Philippines cannot be beat, yet if a younger man were to live in one of those over 55 communities, then he can basically have many of the single women there, that is if he can deal with older widows, and maybe even get a sugar momma along the way. No it is not for me, but again people have choices and young women is not always a top priority in some peoples life.

No name
Posted
Posted

I've compared the cost too Lee, nearly everything is cheaper in the Philippines.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I've compared the cost too Lee, nearly everything is cheaper in the Philippines.
I think you missed my point, an American lifestyle is not cheaper in the Philippines by my own testing of prices. I know you live in the provinces, I am talking about living in the city with all the conveniences that comes with it, you talk about p120 for a day to eat and I can do that here too by buying a whole Giant Costco chicken and cutting it into 6 parts and eat it with rice. What does a slice of pizza cost, they have one in Costco for $1.99 (86 pesos) with a drink, even pizza hut in Cebu is p49 for a little slice and it would take 4 or 5 of those to equal one Costco slice, and then you would still have to buy a drink, whereas it is included in Costco. I am just using those as examples but there are many many more. I went to S&R warehouse (a Costco clone) in Cebu and they sell Coscto products there but for twice the price. The main issue I have is that if the Philippines would get off their arses and start making more local products instead of importing so many, and taxing them to death, then maybe things would end up much cheaper, but they don't and they tax everything heavily, so prices of electronics and all imports are way above what they can be bought in the US for. Overall it is not cheaper IMO to live in Cebu from my personal experiences of going back and forth and comparing prices. Where can you buy a 2 bedroom apartment for $18,000 as I posted in another thread anywhere in the Philippines? You say you do not use your aircon, well I do and it cost me over $200 a month in Cebu to cool 860 square feet, in Florida I cool a whole house for half that. Maybe where you live some items are cheaper, but at what cost. Now I am not advocating anyone not live in the Philippines, I am just telling people that in todays market they have choices, whereas a few years back when the same condo that now goes for under 20k cost around 100k, it was no affordable to do. The US has one major thing going for it, buying power, so stores like Walmart sell items so cheap that you can buy two for the price of one in Cebu, soap, paper towels, toilet paper, medicines, even clothing made in countries nearer to the Philippines are cheaper in places like Walmart than in Cebu, ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressings, cereal, even shoes, and on and on and on. Maybe go online and check them out for yourself since Walmart and others have online sites and then you may see where I am coming from.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah, comparing apples to oranges just won't do it, but comparing mediocre apples with medium grade apples would be closer to the truth in certain depressed states in the U.S.! Where as in the Philippines nowadays, for a western style of living, the cost of labor is the only cheapest thing that is affordable! Living the lifestyle of an average Filipino just isn't my thing, been there done that! I just love the western lifestyle and the creature comforts that goes along with it! AddEmoticons04230.gif

piglett
Posted
Posted
if you want to live like a kano or brit or whatever then maybe you will want to stay homehowever if you can adapt SOME then i think you can live for much lessfor example i don't need a car in the province .....why because i just borrow a different one each day from 1 auntie or another. as long as i bring it back with gas in it (i like to put all of 3 liters in & fill them) there was never a problemalso i did just fine in the province with no AC it is much cooler there than in Manila. so even though there was snow on the ground where i live 2 months before i took my trip i slep just fine with a big fan on me.now granted like i said if i lived in a hot city yes i dam sure would want AC atleast at night so i could sleep well.so i myself am not trying to live like an american in the PhilippinesBecause i know the more i live like a Pinoy the further my money goes!!!!!piglett

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
if you want to live like a kano or brit or whatever then maybe you will want to stay homehowever if you can adapt SOME then i think you can live for much lessfor example i don't need a car in the province .....why because i just borrow a different one each day from 1 auntie or another. as long as i bring it back with gas in it (i like to put all of 3 liters in & fill them) there was never a problemalso i did just fine in the province with no AC it is much cooler there than in Manila. so even though there was snow on the ground where i live 2 months before i took my trip i slep just fine with a big fan on me.now granted like i said if i lived in a hot city yes i dam sure would want AC at least at night so i could sleep well.so i myself am not trying to live like an american in the PhilippinesBecause i know the more i live like a Pinoy the further my money goes!!!!!piglett
It's simple, you are an American living the Filipino lifestyle, because it is cheaper and we're Fil/Ams living the Western lifestyle in the Philippines, because we can now afford it! So, lets just enjoy what we all have attained because you're content with your Filipino lifestyle and we too with our Western lifestyle! Life is just grand when a plan comes together!

Inspector
Posted
Posted (edited)
if you want to live like a kano or brit or whatever then maybe you will want to stay homehowever if you can adapt SOME then i think you can live for much lessfor example i don't need a car in the province .....why because i just borrow a different one each day from 1 auntie or another. as long as i bring it back with gas in it (i like to put all of 3 liters in & fill them) there was never a problemalso i did just fine in the province with no AC it is much cooler there than in Manila. so even though there was snow on the ground where i live 2 months before i took my trip i slep just fine with a big fan on me.now granted like i said if i lived in a hot city yes i dam sure would want AC at least at night so i could sleep well.so i myself am not trying to live like an american in the PhilippinesBecause i know the more i live like a Pinoy the further my money goes!!!!!piglett
It's simple, you are an American living the Filipino lifestyle, because it is cheaper and we're Fil/Ams living the Western lifestyle in the Philippines, because we can now afford it! So, lets just enjoy what we all have attained because you're content with your Filipino lifestyle and we too with our Western lifestyle! Life is just grand when a plan comes together!
:lol:Art, I just realized how silly it must sound to a filipino like yourself, who as you said, did that and done that, as far as living the hard life, and how you have worked so hard to gain the comforts...and how odd it must seem when a westerner says they want to give up those comforts, and sweat and live in a country that well, let's face it....is a hard place to live without a decent cash flow. I read a post on another forum, and it rings so true I find myself repeating it...he says he came to the Philippines to retire, not do time. :) Edited by Inspector

piglett
Posted
Posted

Hey that works for me : )piglett