Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hello Earthdome,   Not too shabby that you still enjoy life in beautiful Baguio with a warm companion now.  Apparently you're smarter than an average bear because your budget can easily handle a growing family.  For a nuke engineer (US subs), you're one very slick bubblehead not telling us you got married recently.   Well done my friend.....most respectfully -- Jake

I was wondering if any of the regulars here would notice that. Sharp observation.

I have just been keeping a low profile. You know, Silent Service and all that.

Congratulations mate!  

One for a fellow Bubblehead:  

SUBjpeg1_zps5f24b5c8.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

Michael, simple is not bad although some people equate it that way. I think I am going to have a little more budget than you but I am going to start with the necessities and add things in order as I discover them to be necessities, if not for life, at least for comfort.

There is nothing wrong with rice, except I am not used to it, at least it's no worse than bread at every meal, toast , biscuits or dinner rolls, just different, not wrong. I live in a landlocked area and eat more meat and I'm not used to eating alot of fish/seafood but I'm actually looking forward to it. If I find myself getting too healthy, I will bread and fry some porkchops. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since my first post on this topic there has been a few life changes and setbacks but I am still on track for retirement to the Philippines in 2015. I really appreciate all the replys and information. I have been doing extensive research on living in the Philippines and I have heard all the good and the bad but I know it is still the place for me.

I will still be living on $1000 a month with a cash reserve for emergencies. I have already changed to a minimalist lifestyle here and even though it doesnt really show me how it is to live in the Philippines it has helped me realize how much I can really live without.

I am not looking for an easy life but I'm looking for a simpler life and I know that the right Pinay will make the transition much better.

Now the difficult part is finding where to live when I get there. I figure on starting out in Cebu and traveling to other islands to see where it is best suted for me and of course A Filipina will have to be considered in my place of residence.

Anyway Thanks again to all those that have replied - I am envious of those that are already living the life there but I am not far behind.

I have already changed to a minimalist lifestyle here and even though it doesn't really show me how it is to live in the Philippines it has

helped me realize how much I can really live without.

Hello Michealusa,

I like your statement above.  As Robert K mentioned, you could start at the bare minimum and work your way up.

When you finally decide a semi-permanent resident, which requires funds for start up (appliances, bedding and

kitchen stuff), then you can finally relax with your warm companion.  

We wish you the very best in your upcoming travel adventure -- good hunting.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is all well and good to live a minimal lifestyle. However, I often wonder what all my expat brothers do everyday to stay entertained. I get bored easily, and always have to have something constructive to do, otherwise I go nuts :).

• Like 3

Michealusa
Posted
Posted

That is the one thing I will have to adjust to (Relaxing) -  Always busy here in the states - never much free time. I don't think I will get bored doing much of nothing. I certainly won't miss driving or spending an average of 2 to 3 hrs a day in my car. Also I wouldn't even dare to ride a scooter here- it's not safe at all. Maybe when I settle i there I'll try it.

• Like 2

Miguk
Posted
Posted

I feel the same way.  I have activities planned for my retirement so I don't become a slothful or decrepit.

My son lives there in Manila working at a call center.  He lives in Makati and makes less than $1,000 but has a clean, safe apartment for about p7,000 and enjoys his life with the rest.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Can I live on $1,000 a month in the Philippines? The simple answer is, "Yes! If that's all you can afford to spend."

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Just like Tuka I plan on doing a lot of nothing,well that is after I find a house to buy and buy a fridge so I can put some beer in it. :559:

• Like 3