Rice Rice Rice How......

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
There's lot of slim good looking Filipinas, but try putting them in a two piece swim suit and you will see most of them have big stomachs from eating too much rice.

I have not followed the anecdotal results from eating genetically altered rice. Perhaps the added sugars in the new rice varietals contributes to additional gases and bloating. Looking at all the male foreigners in the Philippines with huge stomachs, I thought it comes from drinking too much beer. Maybe it is because they have become rice eaters!

One of my meetings next week is with a German national married to a Filipina. They moved last November to Iloilo City to establish a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients. He is flying to Manila for our meeting. I invited him for lunch at the Old Swiss Inn in Makati. They have this huge platter with different kinds of pork and beef sausages on a bed of sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. He is eagerly looking forward to our lunch. I suspect they have been feeding him a steady diet of rice in Iloilo City. (If I remember, I will take a picture of the platter for posting on the forum.)

Of course us foreigners have huge stomachs, we are old and have eaten enormous amount of food in our life time and have drank enough beer to float a battle ship. I'm talking about these young girls who don't have much to eat and some never drink beer. Rice is making their bellies big too.

No offense intended. Just trying to state something as I see it.

:th_unfair: Have to Agree with this, I thought maybe I could Control any additional Girth inches But! every time I come home, it's Rice and Rice in all forms, I go back to work a lot heavier, well at least a Kilo+ not to worry, too old now, to give it too much Creedence. (My daughter tells me I am not Fat, I am Cuddly) I will stay with this thought and Sod the diet :541:

Jack P. :tiphat:

You don't HAVE to eat all the rice they put in front of you do you Jack?

:thumbsup: They seem to eat 4/5 times a day, Then there is the Snack Time. MIL thinks if I am not eating, I don't like it, Wouldn't want to offend her :dance:

I am on a "C" Food Diet at home I guess, SEE food and eat it :)

Jack P. :unsure:

jode
Posted
Posted

Waste not, want not .............. :dance:

When a child my mom always used to admonish me to not waste food and clean up my plate because there are people in China starving.

So I figure me being fat has led to China"s prosperity. (desperate for excuse).

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted (edited)

Waste not, want not .............. :dance:

When a child my mom always used to admonish me to not waste food and clean up my plate because there are people in China starving.

So I figure me being fat has led to China"s prosperity. (desperate for excuse).

:lol: ............ yeah, your mumsy and me are great .......... :hystery:

i used to tell the same with my children but use the starving children in Africa as the tely here is flooded with graphic details on the hardship in african continent.

but my brats are quick to tell me ............ "dont worry mum, i will wrapped up my left over and post them to the starving children in Africa" :rolleyes:

its moments like this that i wish the belt is back! how i wish i could smack them for their smart alec reply ...........

So disrespectful of authority ............... :rolleyes:

Edited by Ashanti
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

As a child I was not allowed to leave the table until I had cleared my plate and we were always encouraged to eat plenty as you never knew where or when the next meal was coming from. It took me many years to learn that putting food that I didn't really want into my mouth was in fact more wasteful than putting it in the bin. By putting it in the bin I would not have to carry it around as excess weight..... I'm not sure that I've completely learnt the lesson. :no:

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted
look at the size of the portion of rice compared to the size of the meat and vegetables. The rice will be much larger

In poorer families, it is common for the parents to 'fill up' the kids on rice with a tiny amount of meat and veg. This is simply due to the cost of the rice being much less than the cost of the sud-an. This style of eating becomes th norm and that is why you see huge piles of rice on plates, its so everyone can share a little of the tiny dish of meat and veg that they have.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
A lot of the normal poor do have more than enough to eat and if that is largely made up of white rice then perhaps this is what is also causing chubbiness in the population?

Chubby Filipinos is caused by a new western way of life, Jollibees, Mc Doogles, pizza and all the other goodies now available. Take away all of that and go back to what was the normal diet then chubbies would not exist except for a few medical or un natural cases.

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted
A lot of the normal poor do have more than enough to eat and if that is largely made up of white rice then perhaps this is what is also causing chubbiness in the population?

Chubby Filipinos is caused by a new western way of life, Jollibees, Mc Doogles, pizza and all the other goodies now available. Take away all of that and go back to what was the normal diet then chubbies would not exist except for a few medical or un natural cases.

I must say that the first time I was in the Philippines I was amazed at the numbers of Fillipinos eating at food halls and fast food places. I remember thinking if they were so poor how on earth can they afford to eat at those places, of course they may have been on a once a week treat or something. I am not a fan of any fast food places in the Philippines, even KFC and MacDonalds, which I hardly ever use in Europe, taste completely different. If i need a quick snack when out I now search for simple traditional Fillipino food in the food halls.

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

YES, you are correct!

in my time, we also have large portion of rice but my father was also into healthy eating. He would insist on our food to be fresh and good quality. because of his work at the time, he can access the freshest veg that was not grown pumped with chemicals. Meats have to be local/bisaya - meaning hogs/chicken not feed with commercial feed or pumped with antibiotics. Eggs are from free range hens that are not feed commercially but just corn or whatever it picked from the ground. He also made sure that with eat a lot of fruits. As it was a different era, whatever rice consumption we had was always used up by our energies on games and what nots children scapes we got to.......... no internet on those days ............ so were not couch potatoes, were always out and running around. the yaya used to have trouble at mealtimes as we rather play than go home to eat.

now, i see my sister daughter mostly confined at home either playing music or just playing with dogs or on the net. She is not allowed out and if my niece goes out it is well supervised. That was unheard of in our days. Back then we children, are king in all we survey!

how time change ..............

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Pre-WWII, the Japanese diet was mostly rice, fresh or pickled vegetables and fish. If you look at old photographs until the early 1960's, there was no such thing as a fat Japanese. Heart attacks and diabetes were unknown. With growing prosperity in the late 1960's, the western diet was introduced and it was very popular. Now Japan has identical health problems as other industrial nations.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Look at the videos of Americans during WWII, you will see that the people are very slim. Its hard to find a fat person in any of those videos. Now many Americans are as fat as pigs. Very similar to the owner of another forum. He must weigh about 180 kilos. He doesn't have a flat side, he is round. Is it from eating too much rice in the Philippines or from eating fast food?