Rice Rice Rice How......

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

My GF has just been working as a nanny with a family that eats rice with their meal 3 times a day. I didn't see her for 3 weeks and last night she was able to make contact again. She had put on weight and was complaining that none of her clothes fit well anymore, all from eating so much rice. Her preferred staple is pasta which is low GI so she is a perfect example of the effects of consuming too much processed rice. I'll be making sure she sticks to a predominantly low GI diet in the future :lol: .

• Like 3

retired
Posted
Posted

Couple of thoughts ... Most Filipino rice for me doesn't have enough moisture in it after cooking as i don't care for the kind you ccould make a snowball out of... Philippines will have ( or allready has ) major issues with type 11 diabites from consuming so much white rice... once used 2 boxes of Uncle Ben's Boil In A bag Rice from the states to serve to Filipinos ( unknown to them ) ... they thought i was a rice gormet.. :-)

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Couple of thoughts ... Most Filipino rice for me doesn't have enough moisture in it after cooking as i don't care for the kind you ccould make a snowball out of... Philippines will have ( or allready has ) major issues with type 11 diabites from consuming so much white rice... once used 2 boxes of Uncle Ben's Boil In A bag Rice from the states to serve to Filipinos ( unknown to them ) ... they thought i was a rice gormet.. :-)

I got a laugh out of that, just shows that if you do not know where the food is coming from then its fine but I bet if they seen how you prepared it then its not editable.

• Like 1

Will
Posted
Posted

I believe what ever kind of rice that is easiest to eat with the hands is going to be the big winner at a Filipino Rice Cooking contest. Lol

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

:rolleyes: Well , ive been home in the PH. for a month now. and i thought that my 33 years of eating rice in Alaska and Hawaii was a lot of rice eating, WRONG!!! i have rice coming out of my ears, not to mention other places. :hystery: ive learned that the way it is cooked makes a big difference, cooked with wood as fuel tastes a lot better than cooked in a electric ricecooker.Funny im just learning all this and i am a born pilippino. :lol: Probably just been away too long. Anyways..RICE ON my friends. they will be picking rice from my silly grin when they bury me. :mocking: tanks ej.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Philippines will have ( or allready has ) major issues with type 11 diabites from consuming so much white rice...

Type II diabetes was unheard of in the Philippines, which was always a rice eating society. The establishment of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos, supported by the US government and foundations like Rockefeller and Ford, lead to the development of genetically altered rice varieties. This helped solve hunger and potential starvation on a global basis. You can now plant two crops, sometimes three in your rice paddies. The downside is increased sugar content which triggers diabetes. It is the same with genetically altered corn.

The Philippines also went from being self-sufficient in rice to becoming an importer. Up to 50% of the rice comes from Thailand and other Asian countries. Agrarian Reform distributed land to small growers, who don't have the capital to buy seeds, fertilizers, insecticides, mechanical harvesters, etc. Philippine rice production went down while the population grew. The government gives the farmers a subsidy for rice production and imported rice, if I am not mistaken, is resold at a subsidized price.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Philippines may start exporting rice to other Asian countries in the first quarter of 2013 if no major calamities hit the country, Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala said yesterday.

Alcala made the statement after National Irrigation Administration (NIA) chief Antonio Nangel inspected irrigation systems under construction and agriculture rehabilitation projects in five provinces.

In a meeting with farmers in Masbate, Alcala said the country should no longer import rice from its Southeast Asian neighbors but instead depend solely on its palay production.

“Our rice importation era will end next year since our palay production will be enough for our consumption and reserves starting next year,” he said.

Alcala attributed the good news to new technologies imparted to farmers, better post-harvest facilities, and a progressive irrigation system.

Is this true or just more talk?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Is this true or just more talk?

I don't know. Philippine politicians are very good at issuing press releases. For the sake of everyone, I hope it is true. It would be great if the country once again becomes self-sufficient in rice. The question is the production expense. How much will the chemical fertilizers needed cost?

The government also needs to address the coconut problem. Many of the trees are becoming senile. Copra production is on the decline.

When my father planted 1,000 mango trees, he was thinking about 100 years of harvest. Within the introduction of chemical spraying to induce flowering, the trees are starting to get senile after 50 years. It's difficult to explain to family members that we need two dormant years so the trees can rejuvenate. My goal is to convert to organic fruit farming and use of organic fertilizers to preserve the soil for future generations.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The government also needs to address the coconut problem. Many of the trees are becoming senile. Copra production is on the decline.

I'm not being critical but are confused by your word senile, are you meaning sterile as in the trees can not produce or are the trees becoming like a lot of us these days?

Or has senile another meaning in agriculture?

1%20(235).gif

Americano
Posted
Posted

My GF has just been working as a nanny with a family that eats rice with their meal 3 times a day. I didn't see her for 3 weeks and last night she was able to make contact again. She had put on weight and was complaining that none of her clothes fit well anymore, all from eating so much rice. Her preferred staple is pasta which is low GI so she is a perfect example of the effects of consuming too much processed rice. I'll be making sure she sticks to a predominantly low GI diet in the future :lol: .

There's lot of slim good looking Filipinas, but try putting them in a two piece swim suit and you will see most of them have big stomachs from eating too much rice. And, I'm talking about the ones who haven't had any kids yet, in their early 20's and teenagers. I know a 18 year old who is already dieting trying to loose her stomach. It has to be rice because she eats about 10 times more rice than anything else.

• Like 1