Motivations

jode
Posted
Posted

When the subject of filipinas comes up, the conversations eventually turn to motivations. What are her motivations, and as far as that goes, what are yours? Are you honest about them? realistic about them? Is she?

As for myself to start with, I can see two main motivations in coming to Philippines. To have another go at passion and excitment in life. 2) to find someone who can love me, and to share the rest of my life with.

On turning 60 I realized that there is no more time to say "someday" about the things I wanted to do yet in life. For someone with my physical problems especially, it was now or never. I could take to my recliner and tv and other easy comforts of life and continue to see the years go by until the end. But I knew doing that would hasten the end. There was life I wanted to live yet.

Letting the idea of passion continue to lay dormant and just going about the routine of retired life - same oh, same oh- for ever, was death for me I knew. Some people seem to be ok with that kinda life, and some even thrive on it, but for me it means physical and mental deterioration.

To be awakened to other possibilities by discovering date sites, got me thinking that maybe even someone like me, could have a go again at doing things, most people think of as the venue of the much younger and more fit. ....to be continued

Those who know me here, know my posts can be lengthy and this subject leads itself to that and i dont have time to finish it now. Guess maybe better suited to a blog, but hope that what I write so far, will lead to replies as to personal motivations to come to Philippines.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

What jode said above really captures the underlying motivation for me to move to the Philippines. The lower cost of living just helps enable starting that second life.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some people relocate from time to time. Their motivations will be as different as their personalities. I have moved across the street, across town, across the province, across the country, across the continent, 1/4 way around the world and 1/2 way around the world. I believe the same things that motivate me for any one of those moves are the things that motivate me for all of them. I used to self analyze why I move so much. Now I don't bother. Its all good. I read somewhere that the average person lives in a house for 3 years and then moves. The major difference between people is where they move to.

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Well stated Dave! Well stated. I too have moved all my life, and the answers were usually the same. Maybe this was more of a refection on my than the places I moved to. Even living in the Philippines, as been move after move.

At least now I am happy to move from place to place, and usually it is because things are getting better with each move.

Papa Carl

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some people relocate from time to time. Their motivations will be as different as their personalities. I have moved across the street, across town, across the province, across the country, across the continent, 1/4 way around the world and 1/2 way around the world. I believe the same things that motivate me for any one of those moves are the things that motivate me for all of them. I used to self analyze why I move so much. Now I don't bother. Its all good. I read somewhere that the average person lives in a house for 3 years and then moves. The major difference between people is where they move to.

If you think about it, the one thing that all whites have in common in America, and in Australia and New Zealand also for that matter, is that we have in our family histories and thus maybe in our genes, a propensity to move, to seek a better life. At one time our ancestors gave up all that was familiar to them, all that was certain, to try the uncertainty of a new world. Seeking for themselves and their children a better life. No other trait i can think of do we all have in common in our past.

Once in that new world most also continued with this inate desire to seek a better life, and and kept moving, west usually, in the americas, to seek out that place of happiness for themselves.

Maybe a basic disatisfaction with the status quo is what has driven the development of the west, but also maybe kept us from feeling the happiness that a race like filipinoes can feel. We see how happy they are, even though they have so little. Living generation after generation satisfied with their meager lives and just being happy. Maybe that is a state we envy, but because of our genes we can never achieve like they can.

The downside for them is that because of their ability to be happy with the status quo, things don't get done that westerners see as needing to be done. The dowside for us is that the happiness we desire is always in the future, always after the next move. Whereas for them it is where it has always been, with their families and familiar surroundings, forever the same.

Edited by jode
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If you think about it, the one thing that all whites have in common

I like your post, and I agree with it. It leads me off on a tangent about the 'white people' (any colour really but part of the 'white culture') who never move around. I have met many people in rural Canada who seldom get off the farm. For some of them, a trip to the nearest big city (50K people) is a huge event in their lives.

Those people I don't understand. I fell some kind of pity that they don't know more of the world but I am sure they would be amused or dissappointed that I felt that way as they see no reason to travel further. There be dragons out there, for them. I have more in common with people who want to see what is on the other side of the mountain.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
If you think about it, the one thing that all whites have in common

I like your post, and I agree with it. It leads me off on a tangent about the 'white people' (any colour really but part of the 'white culture') who never move around. I have met many people in rural Canada who seldom get off the farm. For some of them, a trip to the nearest big city (50K people) is a huge event in their lives.

Those people I don't understand. I fell some kind of pity that they don't know more of the world but I am sure they would be amused or dissappointed that I felt that way as they see no reason to travel further. There be dragons out there, for them. I have more in common with people who want to see what is on the other side of the mountain.

Yes, I have many friends like that who have never been out of their country and rarely even make it very far from home. Marry their high school sweetheart, pop out some kids and get stuck in one place forever. Nothing wrong with it if they are happy and content, but I have always been the opposite.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Many poor folks here have never even made out of their barangays.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excellent post Jack ..... you are truly blessed to have someone to share her experiences with ..... by all means when you get back here get her to tell you her stories and by all means record them ..... there is fast coming a time when these oldies but goodies (as my asawa likes to call them) will be no more and all their tales and stories will be lost forever ...... so do everyone a favor and record her journey with all it's trials and tribulations for the generations to come ... including your family and their family ..... so much of history is lost because no one was able or bothered to record it .....

Now as to survive ..... yes that is the word of the day .... what would we do to survive .... steal ... kill .... scam .... lie .... I always said if it was the only way for my family to survive I would steal food so they were able to eat ..... wrong .... sure but we are talking about desperate measures here not a means to acquire more worldly possessions ...... and only as the absolute last result .....

So when you look at it in that light maybe now some can understand why people will scam ... and lie .... because they have nothing .... hummmmmmm ... how different would we be in their shoes .... does it make it right .... noooooo ..... but could it just be the lesser of 2 evils ...... something to ponder ..... :tiphat:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3