Meeting Her And Her Family For The First Time

Jake
Posted
Posted
Yes, you may be right, that I expected too much from the relationship too fast.

It's a very common mistake trying to hurry such things too much.....It's similar to how it was in "kano countries" 100 years ago.

.....want to speed things up, it would be seen as bad behaviour by other traditional Filipin people.

.....Even two different perfect personalities, sometimes don't suit to marry each other, because different personalities need

different "complements". But it seem your relation is worth checking more if it can end up good.

Thank you Thomas for your perceptive insight. It was a perfect match for my first morning coffee while reading your comments.

Keep it up sir.....you're on a roll!

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ashanti - you have saved my life for when I finally get to the Philippines. So many things I hadn't thought about in this way and probably would have done to the detriment of my relationship as well. I guess a coat of high-gloss polish over white paint on a suit of armour isn't quite all that's needed after all!

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted
You see in PI – Maria Clara, a heroine in the novel Noli me Tangere by Jose Rizal, the filipino national hero is/was a religious person and the epitome of virtue – is promoted in schools and churches as to what Filipinas should aspire to. In modern day PI – this resulted in an amalgam of their own Maria Clara in the 20th century – which is very difficult to explain to westerners – and need to be seen to be understood (if ever).

If anyone is interested in reading an English translation of the novel Noli mne Tangere, it is available as a free download (or you can read online for free as well) at Project Gutenburg under the title of The Social Cancer. If this will instil a better understanding of the fair Filipina by us bull headed foreigners, well, I guess it won't hurt to read the book.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

To visit her and meet the family straight off when you arrived, unknowingly to you, you had actually raised her expectations as well as the family. Normally, in an average filipino couple when you visit your gf in her home and meet the family – it is seen as a serious relationship with a strong view to marriage

Oh. I thought it ment

seriously interested in marrying, but not know yet, asking the family to agree to get the know the woman better.

Some scary if expected to propose before met the woman more than a bit :)

(my apologies for the long post and being long-winded!!!)

Such information can never be to long :) It's worth much more than 1 like.

Yes, you may be right, that I expected too much from the relationship too fast.

It's a very common mistake trying to hurry such things too much.....It's similar to how it was in "kano countries" 100 years ago.

.....want to speed things up, it would be seen as bad behaviour by other traditional Filipin people.

.....Even two different perfect personalities, sometimes don't suit to marry each other, because different personalities need

different "complements". But it seem your relation is worth checking more if it can end up good.

Thank you Thomas for your perceptive insight. It was a perfect match for my first morning coffee while reading your comments.

Keep it up sir.....you're on a roll!

Respectfully -- Jake

Thank you. Actualy one of the books I have written (in Swedish) is about this subject, ment to be in pocket size for fast access when needed, but it became 3 times to many pages, it's a huge subject :) So I have to split it or something before it's ready for publishing. I mean I have written about kano-kano relations. Filipina-kano relations I have just started learning, surely e g Ashanti know very much more than I.

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Oh. I thought it ment seriously interested in marrying, but not know yet, asking the family to agree to get the know the woman better. Some scary if expected to propose before met the woman more than a bit

It is - if you are both filipinos!

But if you are a foreigner - Im afraid the threshold is raised due to gossips & jealousies ...............

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Oh. I thought it ment seriously interested in marrying, but not know yet, asking the family to agree to get the know the woman better. Some scary if expected to propose before met the woman more than a bit

It is - if you are both filipinos!

But if you are a foreigner - Im afraid the threshold is raised due to gossips & jealousies ...............

Oh. Then perhaps better tell the family to spread rumour the kano is stingy, even if not being that, to reduce jealousies ? :)

Quite a departure from other Asian cultures, where the woman's family had to provide a dowry.

Well. In Thailand OLD tradition has been man pay LITTLE to parents, BOTH families contributes to the NEW MARRIED, and the weddings are supposed to get around zero results by guests give money gifts.

BUT nowadays with foreigners involved, then it kind of have become "tradition" he pay and the money ment to the new married goes to the parents. "But if the parents like the man, then he can get (some of) the money back." (Guests still contribute, but the foreigner guarantee the parents as wedding arranging will not lose money.) It has become so common so many younger thai believe that's the thai tradition :hystery:

Don't they "buy" the wifes in (rural) China?

• Like 2