Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've been to too many countries and cities to count over the years. And the one thing I found constant - Someone who is identifiable as an outsider / tourist / from another city farther away is always the center of attention and the subject of rude comments. The bigger the city, the more you will observe this.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Not odd they LOOK at us, and not odd they notice us either, because of our size :)

At Internet I answer back, because there readers can't see difference between ignorance or scared by bullies,

but IRL I ignore almost always, and the few other times I'm not angry either, just hit back to teach them a lesson :dance: I mean in my home land. I know I better ignore allways in the Philippines so it don't end up in a fight against knifes.

I mean I have no problem ignoring common people. Much harder to ignore people with power, when they do more important damage :angry:

Much harder to ignore if a loved one get sad.

how does your child reacts or feels these things?we know how our wife/gf/partner feels...... how do we make them feel that its NOT the kano(father) that causes these remarks but the SIMPLE-mindedness(ignorance) of the natives?

If the child is old enough to understand "jelous", I suppose it can be explained enough by that.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

In England nobody gives a Foreigner a second glance....Probably because their are more Foreigners than English here now. :lol:

In one City in England the English are the minority.

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

brock its the same here in oz in some places i wonder which country i am in cheers

• Like 4

jonSun
Posted
Posted

Im actually suprised by some of the responses on here. I just got back from my first trip to Philippines and was there for 5 weeks. I spent a great deal of time in Pampanga (especially San Fernando), Manila & Boracay. I never had one negative comment towards myself or my girl from any locals. Only heard "Hey Joe" from some construction workers & one police officer in San Fernando Pampanga. And it was "Hey Joe, Merry Christmas". Nothing vulgar. I did get some stares in some of the provinces & poorer barangay areas in Manila but it was more of a "WOW a foreigner" type stare.

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Im actually suprised by some of the responses on here. I just got back from my first trip to Philippines and was there for 5 weeks. I spent a great deal of time in Pampanga (especially San Fernando), Manila & Boracay. I never had one negative comment towards myself or my girl from any locals. Only heard "Hey Joe" from some construction workers & one police officer in San Fernando Pampanga. And it was "Hey Joe, Merry Christmas". Nothing vulgar. I did get some stares in some of the provinces & poorer barangay areas in Manila but it was more of a "WOW a foreigner" type stare.

Without having to resort to cutting your leg off and counting the rings..... How old are you and how much younger is your girl friend? I think most negative comments both in the Philippines and in our home countries are about age difference between you and your girl friend. The closer in age you are, the less attention you attract.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

So... last time I was in Tijuana... when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term? I smiled and said "good day to you too, sir" because I assumed he wanted to be friends.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

So... last time I was in Tijuana... when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term? I smiled and said "good day to you too, sir" because I assumed he wanted to be friends.

According to Google Translate, it meant F***ing American. He definitely was NOT your friend. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term?

Puto means rice cakes, puta means prostitute, puti means white. Take your pick, probably the latter.

• Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with nasty remarks, lots of stares and smiles but that"s about it. There are 11yrs difference between my wife and myself.

Doug

• Like 3