Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, you offered no referrence point. If you were say 40 and she was 29... that is a lot different that you being 23 hehehehehehe LOL!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I asked my girlfriend about this and she said she has never heard anything bad, but we have not spent much time in Manila and only Makati. We spend a lot of time in Alabang and no issues there. She is 38 and I am 56; 18 years diff. She has youthful good looks and I have youthful bad looks! :hystery:

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term?

Puto means rice cakes, puta means prostitute, puti means white. Take your pick, probably the latter.

I guess they did want to be your friend if they were offering you a rice cake. :hystery:

I like the "good day to you too, sir" response. That is my usual type response to feeble minded folk. I told the last one here, "Happy birthday!"

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In Mexico it don't mean rice cakes ha ha :tiphat:

and i wasn't even with a girl. I was just American. But I am used to that from my Navy days - they hated us a lot of places we went. What is it about a bunch of drunks getting in fights and trying to screw your sister that infuriates people?

• Like 4

softail
Posted
Posted

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with nasty remarks, lots of stares and smiles but that"s about it. There are 11yrs difference between my wife and myself.

Doug

Well, you offered no referrence point. If you were say 40 and she was 29... that is a lot different that you being 23 hehehehehehe LOL!

Ok, OK  I'm 25, you do the math :hystery: .  Actually I'm 64

Doug

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

So... last time I was in Tijuana... when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term? I smiled and said "good day to you too, sir" because I assumed he wanted to be friends.

In Mexico it don't mean rice cakes ha ha :tiphat:
and i wasn't even with a girl. I was just American. But I am used to that from my Navy days - they hated us a lot of places we went. What is it about a bunch of drunks getting in fights and trying to screw your sister that infuriates people?

I believe you are right  :)    Because of it was in Tijuana, Mexico, and "puta" means prostitute, I suppose they ment the street language word for man buying sex.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

So... last time I was in Tijuana... when I was called "puto Americano".... that might not be a friendly term? I smiled and said "good day to you too, sir" because I assumed he wanted to be friends.

I didn't read your post correctly, I thought you said it happened in the Philippines. 

"In many places, such as Mexico, it is a pejorative reference to a gay man (this usage is present in Don Quixote). In others, like Cuba and Puerto Rico for example, puto is simply a comment on a man who is promiscuous and a womanizer (depending on context or tone, it can be extremely offensive or teasing). In Puerto Rico puto or palgo may refer to a womanizer. In the Philippines, however, the term is unoffensive as it is used instead to refer to rice muffins."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Puto

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Unless you are very fluent in the local language you don't know what is being said about you and your lady.  And, your lady may be too embarrassed to tell you or don't want you to get mad.  My wife and I have experienced rude comments in most places we have traveled in the Philippines.  I can't understand what they say but she's not afraid to tell me.  We get comments like. How can you take it its so big? I'm available if you want a Filipino boyfriend.  I get so hard you can hang a coconut on it. If you were my girlfriend I would lick you all night. And, many other comments.  There are a lot of very rude Filipinos.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Wow, Americano some of those are pretty f'ed up!  I would expect something more like commenting on age difference or rude comments about marrying a foreigner just for money.  But those are extremely insulting.  (and no matter how I get I don't want to bang it with a coconut!)    :tiphat:

I wonder do they say things like that because because they think she is whoring herself to a foreigner so she is low class, or do they talk to all their women that way?   I really don't see why anyone would care that much what other people do.  There are so many millions of people there it is not like we are stealing all their women. And if someone is lucky enough to find happiness with somebody why hassle them?   I have never understood people.  And sometimes I hope I never do...   

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Unless you are very fluent in the local language you don't know what is being said about you and your lady.  And, your lady may be too embarrassed to tell you or don't want you to get mad.  My wife and I have experienced rude comments in most places we have traveled in the Philippines.  I can't understand what they say but she's not afraid to tell me.  We get comments like. How can you take it its so big? I'm available if you want a Filipino boyfriend.  I get so hard you can hang a coconut on it. If you were my girlfriend I would lick you all night. And, many other comments.  There are a lot of very rude Filipinos.

Please clarify... the man saying (as above) "I am available if you want a Filipino boyfriend".... Was he talking to you or your girl friend? LOL! :hystery: Sort of changes the whole thought process, doesn't it...... :mocking:

• Like 2