Renting In The Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm also wondering what the reality is if you manage to negotiate any special terms that aren't covered by the landlords standard contract, i.e., minimum length, especially if you're dealing with the landlord/owner directly. How willing/likely would he/she be to have a new contract drawn up to reflect the changes or am I worrying about nothing here?
I would worry if it WOULDN'T be standard   :)

Rather many landlords try to get more as deposit or prepaid rents than the law say... (If I remember corect it's one deposit and just pay the next month in advance in the end of the month before.)

I suppouse the easier they get tennants, the less they are interested in changing anything.

Many want minimum 12 months, but I suppouse you can get shorter if you offer to pay some extra.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
name of the law firm
How willing/likely would he/she be to have a new contract drawn up to reflect the changes or am I worrying about nothing here?

Hi ya Adam. I don't rent so these are just my general impressions:

I would defiantly not try to make any arrangements on line, ie. get a rental all set up for your arrival, having a lease or rental agreement all locked down before hand. First of all, almost all that you see advertised online are for folks like you who are tourists or just not familiar with how things work here, and the price will go up accordingly. Second, lawyers are a dime a dozen here, it would be a toss up which there are more of lawyers offices or Sari Sari stores :hystery: . A well established law firm will most likely cost you a bundle to get in the door they service the large corporations, politicians and the very wealthy. But any lawyer you walk in the door will be able to scrutinize a contract for you is my belief. Cost? Not sure but to have a last will and testament drawn up cost P2000 last time I checked, if that gives you an idea. Third rentals, I see houses and apartments or very cheap flats advertised (sign on the door with a phone number) in high and middle class subdivisions, outskirts of town or in town itself.

If your looking for free advice, I would suggest you set up in an inexpensive hotel or apartlette in the area your interested and do a eyeball search. If you have a GF or someone meeting you, I would bet the farm she, or her relatives or her friends already know of several places,,,,good luck and :cheersty:

• Like 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

If your looking for free advice, I would suggest you set up in an inexpensive hotel or apartlette in the area your interested and do a eyeball search

Thanks Scott. That's exactly the idea actually based on information discovered on these forums: cheap hotel for up to a month and search from there. Wasn't exactly sure on what percentage are advertised online and what percentage you have to do an eyeball search for so I'll pay more attention to the latter on arrival in that case. On a similar note, does anyone happen to know of any local papers/magazines it would be worth searching through for rental classifieds in addition to the above?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
local papers/magazines
:1 (103):  :1 (103):  :dance:

I am laughing with you not AT you Adam. I am afraid your going to have to take 90% of how you would go about property, used goods, help wanted etc. searches and throw it in the dust bin :rolleyes: . Just for fun I grabbed todays Daily Inquirer (one of the 3 major daily papers here in Manila that are in english) and they didn't even have a classified section. I think the Sunday edition might, but not sure. You could try the local tabloids, but you'll need an interpreter, they are all in Tagalog.

The way things run here is almost medieval at times. You don't google for a plumber or electrician (oh yes the major companies are online, but they are HUGE outfits usually) you ask your brother in law, who knows a guy who's 2nd cousin is in that line of work. Or you collect the 4"x5" piece of paper that is stuck in your gate that says a guy is around who will trim your trees.

Here is an example, our main line sewer got clogged, wife called the plumber who installed all our stuff during construction. He used an old fashioned, manually operated snake. I said "I want roto rooter!" and looked online. Sure enough there is roto rooter here but they only do commercial buildings, malls, condo complexes and stuff like that. :cheersty:

• Like 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Okay thanks Scott. Appreciate you taking the time to give me a clearer picture and hopefully it's information that will save me some time.

Do you know if I can use the same methodology if searching for a condo i.e., go and look and ask around if I don't hear of anything through word-of-mouth?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Do you know if I can use the same methodology if searching for a condo

Now that I am not sure of, but if I was forced to guess, if you see a condo building in an area you like. Go up and ask the security guard. I am afraid that sometimes there are really no short cuts sometime like we are used to.

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

if you see a condo building in an area you like. Go up and ask the security guard. I am afraid that sometimes there are really no short cuts sometime like we are used to

It's actually something I'm quite looking forward to and will give me an excuse to explore some areas other than the usual tourist sites I normally would while on a standard vacation.

Thanks again though for the advice.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just remember Adam, that anything I say is base solely on my experience and observations. With over 7100 islands, things might be slightly different wherever you are thinking of settling :cheersty:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Okay thanks Scott. Appreciate you taking the time to give me a clearer picture and hopefully it's information that will save me some time.

Do you know if I can use the same methodology if searching for a condo i.e., go and look and ask around if I don't hear of anything through word-of-mouth?

I have done the same thing. Walk a barangay that you like looking for apt/condo for rent signs. If you see a building you like go up and ask the security guard if there are any units available even if you don't see any signs. There are usually units for sale/rent in most large buildings.

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

I have done the same thing. Walk a barangay that you like looking for apt/condo for rent signs

Thanks earthdome - good to know. Out of interest, did you manage to make a deal with anyone following this?