Renting In The Philippines

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

have the wife call them to get quoted the Filipino price and terms

So in the absence of a Filipino wife, as I don't have one of those, what do you think is the best way of attempting to avoid any "long-nose tax" being applied or will it be a case of negotiating based on what else is available in the area and hoping for the best?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
avoid any "long-nose tax" being applied

Plastic Surgury might work, and contact lenses,,but youll have to cut your self off at the knees and your accent will still give you away :thumbsup:

Seriously Adam, not having a sleeping dictionary puts you at a distinct disadvantage. The only thing I can suggest is to comparison shop. 3-4 places, if one is way out of line you will know. Or get your quotes and post them here, someone is bound to be able to ask a wife, make a call, or go from personal experience.

I have also been thinking about your search techniques. This might be a long one so bear with me. Most subdivision her are "gated" with security guards. The large developments will actually have a main gate and roads running through it (that have business along the side) and then another security gate to smaller developments. I am very familiar with BF Homes here in Paranaque so I will describe that. This place has 4 or 5 entrances to it, and since most of the maids, workers and employees don't own cars. There are Tricycle stands at each entrance for these folks to get to work. You might want to use one of these (you might have to surrender your drivers license at the gate) and ask to be taken to the main Home Owners Association office. I would bet a modest sum that they would know what units are for rent etc. etc. Then use the trike to go look at the houses. (take two picture ids you might have to surrender one at each interior checkpoint)

Just a thought

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
what do you think is the best way of attempting to avoid any "long-nose tax" being applied

I'm kind of stepping into the middle of this conversation so forgive me if I got it assbackwards  :dance:  but for me, I usually find out which other foreigners have rented or are renting from that landlord before committing myself.  The ones who have rented and moved on are the best source because they can tell you of any hassle with security deposits.  There is a distinct advantage to asking foreigners because it really helps to find a landlord who is foreigner friendly.

Foreigner friendly landlord usually means you will pay a fair price.  That means you are not going to find some hillbilly landlord from the rice fields that will rent to you for cheap but it also means you won't be charged more than fair market value as the other foreigners would not give a referral (in most cases) to a shyster.

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

you might have to surrender your drivers license at the gate

I see. So I guess this is a generally acceptable method of gaining access to gated subdivisions then when not in possession of a residents' or guest permit?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
So in the absence of a Filipino wife, as I don't have one of those

Well thats the first week taken care of. Start looking for rental with new GF the second week.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Well thats the first week taken care of. Start looking for rental with new GF the second week

Ah but wait....what's the best method of finding one: do I search online or walk around neighbourhoods looking for signs with mobile numbers? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
....what's the best method of finding one

Now that is a whooooooole topic by itself lol

• 4 weeks later...
william_c
Posted
Posted

Recently looked at a home to purchase and did not like it much. Moved on and kept looking. Things changed and wife contacted owner of said home and asked about renting it. Yes, she said. Later we gave her the two months rental deposit she requested. Move in date was flexible. Now that we are close to moving into the home she tells wife it's our ultimate goal to sell the home since we have moved to the new home. Really? With that understanding, we can throw you out at any time we get a sale contract for the home. Now that is really rich. So, lawyer friend said to get rental agreement in writing, I agree, as well as they can not throw you out in pursuit of selling it while it's being rented. Furthermore, the woman has not given us a receipt for the two months deposit we requested. So, has anyone else had similar experiences in renting property and the comments from a lawyer, are they correct?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So, has anyone else had similar experiences in renting property and the comments from a lawyer, are they correct?

I have been kicked out of a rental house on 30 days notice because they were selling it.  How do you kick up a fuss?  The landlord and all her family hovered around the gate for the final week to be sure I was moving and I suspect that after the 30 days they would have been over the wall and in as soon as I went out for a walk or to the mall.  Lawyers?  Sure if you have 10 years to wait for a verdict.  In the meantime the landlord is going to make life hell for you if you don't move out when they want you to.  Who ya gonna call?  Her cousin the barangay captain?

• Like 3

Francis.Dong
Posted
Posted

I feel sad reading some of the comments, if you'd like I know someone who can look for a better place for you to live in. Not so much with the barangay captain cousins, it should always be a win win situation to both sides.