Renting In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sure is! As recommended to me by a former member of the PNP (newly retired)...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If you want an official receipt then the rent goes up because I must pay BIR when I give you an official receipt.

This is true, when we were building out house, we handled our own payroll. My wife (the Filipina, who had lived in the states for 20 years) asked me to go to National Book store and buy a receipt book so we could have the workers sign for their pay. Imagine my surprise when the clerk in the business section of the store said if I want a receipt book I have to go to the BIR and buy one (and pay for the stamp).  I pressed for any type of pad that could be used as a receipt and they had absolutely noting. So the wife just had them sign next to their name (or place an X in some cases) on a legal pad.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
go to the BIR and buy one (and pay for the stamp). 

HA! The Tax man covers it from all angles Yes?

JP :tiphat:

Morning all :morning1:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you want an official receipt then the rent goes up because I must pay BIR when I give you an official receipt.

This is true, when we were building out house, we handled our own payroll. My wife (the Filipina, who had lived in the states for 20 years) asked me to go to National Book store and buy a receipt book so we could have the workers sign for their pay. Imagine my surprise when the clerk in the business section of the store said if I want a receipt book I have to go to the BIR and buy one (and pay for the stamp).  I pressed for any type of pad that could be used as a receipt and they had absolutely noting. So the wife just had them sign next to their name (or place an X in some cases) on a legal pad.

That's why I made difference in my earlier post between official and a written paper. As renter you only need something which prove you have paid.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As renter you only need something which prove you have paid.

Are you sure?  What good will that do you?  Who will you be proving it to and what does a scrap of paper actually prove?  I ask because I know of people, myself included who have been screwed over when they thought a receipt would help them.  It only helps when dealing with an honest landlord who honestly did not remember that you had made that payment.  If you have such a landlord then a notebook of your own, where you write down what you paid, who to, and when, will work just as well  At least it has done so in my experience.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Having been summoned to the Barangay Hall last January to resolve a dispute between me and  a neighbor I can say that a receipt would carry weight with that Barangay Captain. Your barangay is the first level of official dispute resolution so it all depends on the character of the Barangay Captain and the relationship/reputation each of the two parties has with the Barangay. In my case everything worked out in my favor though I would rather that the other party had not backed out of the deal to purchase many large items from me before I moved. I was able to keep the deposit the other party had given to me to hold the items for them.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

As renter you only need something which prove you have paid.

Are you sure?  What good will that do you?  Who will you be proving it to and what does a scrap of paper actually prove?  I ask because I know of people, myself included who have been screwed over when they thought a receipt would help them.  It only helps when dealing with an honest landlord who honestly did not remember that you had made that payment.  If you have such a landlord then a notebook of your own, where you write down what you paid, who to, and when, will work just as well  At least it has done so in my experience.

Well. It's harder for the landlord to denie if having a paper saying it's paid and signed by him.

I don't think the landlord want to go to court. BIR can be interested in why the landlord rent out without telling them... :mocking:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Well. It's harder for the landlord to denie if having a paper saying it's paid and signed by him. I don't think the landlord want to go to court. BIR can be interested in why the landlord rent out without telling them...

There ya go, applying western logic to the Philippines again, always a dangerous combination lol

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Well. It's harder for the landlord to denie if having a paper saying it's paid and signed by him. I don't think the landlord want to go to court. BIR can be interested in why the landlord rent out without telling them...

There ya go, applying western logic to the Philippines again, always a dangerous combination lol

Scott, you hit the nail straight on its head with that last comment!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes. Well. Not allways dangerous   :)    

Better not confront any Filipino IN PUBLIC  (=when anyone else notice it) but many can be confronted - calmly  :)  - without problem if no one else notice it, because then they don't lose face. Then it's a much biger chance most Filipinos prefer to avoid trouble.

There is a simpler solution too  = If the landlord refuse to give ANY reciept  - Rent somewhere else...  :lol: