Renting In The Philippines

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have done the same thing. Walk a barangay that you like looking for apt/condo for rent signs

Thanks earthdome - good to know. Out of interest, did you manage to make a deal with anyone following this?

Funny thing is that I ended up finding a place by word of mouth from other expats.... but it was one of the properties I looked at and liked from the outside but had not inquired about because I had not seen a for rent sign. Ended up living there for almost 2 years. Back in the states now.

• Like 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Funny thing is that I ended up finding a place by word of mouth from other expats

hmmm. interesting you say actually because I was wondering how you go about meeting other expats in Manila. I believe I've read your posts actually. Was that in Baguio?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Funny thing is that I ended up finding a place by word of mouth from other expats

hmmm. interesting you say actually because I was wondering how you go about meeting other expats in Manila. I believe I've read your posts actually. Was that in Baguio?

Yes, that was in Baguio. The expats were in the local expat bar/resto Red Lion Pub.

I try to avoid Manila as much as possible. If I were to start searching in Manila I would start by identifying what area of Manila I wanted to live in. Then do the same process. For finding other expats I would look at coffee shops like Starbucks, fast food like McDo, malls, etc. Just try not to creep anyone out when you approach them. I have had some creepy looking/acting expats approach me a few times. 

• Like 2

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

I have had some creepy looking/acting expats approach me a few times. 

Lol. I'll try and bear it in mind. 

Another idea I had was to identify an area and then hire a local pedicab driver to show me around and offer suggestions of where to look etc. If it's his regular beat then maybe he's already seen signs on doors etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have had some creepy looking/acting expats approach me a few times. 

Lol. I'll try and bear it in mind. 

Another idea I had was to identify an area and then hire a local pedicab driver to show me around and offer suggestions of where to look etc. If it's his regular beat then maybe he's already seen signs on doors etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would get a car and driver instead. A car with driver is more likely to be someone who is more familiar with English and western lifestyle than a pedicab driver and thus would be more familiar with what you may be looking for. What is a mansion to a pedicab driver may well be a dump to you.

• Like 2

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

I would get a car and driver instead

Do you think a metered taxi could serve the same purpose? I'm just thinking of cost that's all: not sure which would be cheaper.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would get a car and driver instead

Do you think a metered taxi could serve the same purpose? I'm just thinking of cost that's all: not sure which would be cheaper.

You could negotiate an all day deal with the taxi driver... not have a taxi driver show you around on the meter. You could also ask the hotel where you are staying to recommend a car and driver.

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

good idea, thanks

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
You could also ask the hotel where you are staying to recommend a car and driver.

Or...................Once you get here, and you find your first inexpensive hotel/apartlette as your base of operations (I think that's the route your leaning towards, not trying to put words in your mouth or tell you what to do). You might just take a walk around the area and look for a banner that is hanging from a wall or shop window that says "Van and Driver for Hire".

I am not suggesting this course of action, like some of my above posts I am just trying to demonstrate how "out of the box" some things are here. For example, once I read Earthdomes posts, I put my computer down walked around my block for 3.5 minutes and saw to such banner.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I agree with walking around a neighborhood, looking for rental signs and talking to the locals.  You can get a much better feel for the area that way...what types of neighbors you have, how noisy it is, safety issues, etc.  We have done it that way with two of our rentals here...I would just write down the phone numbers and have the wife call them to get quoted the Filipino price and terms, then we would both go for a viewing.  If you like the place, then it's best to check out the neighborhood again at night and other various times to see if it's hospitable and livable at all hours.   This should be your biggest concern, as your chances of having inconsiderate neighbors is considerably higher in the Philippines than your home country.

• Like 3