Renting In The Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I feel sad reading some of the comments, if you'd like I know someone who can look for a better place for you to live in. Not so much with the barangay captain cousins, it should always be a win win situation to both sides.

So you're offering your services? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Czechman
Posted
Posted

Good advice

I notice of all the places advertised with pictures that there are no block out curtains, all basically see through. I would require at least the bedroom to be dark in the morning so maybe I would be buying my own curtains. Actually do they have block out curtains in the shops? :unsure:

FYI: I realize that your question was posted here many moons ago captain: ~However speaking of such, we had a similar situation with our recent condo unit rental, all windows were bare (but had curtain rods though!) and the bright light flooded the rooms like a shining beacon!

Definitely yes, blackout curtains are available currently and we found them at the Metro store @Ayala, Cebu City. A bit costly but heavy, good quality and they do work well.

post-4867-0-40071300-1435834220_thumb.jp

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Recently looked at a home to purchase and did not like it much. Moved on and kept looking. Things changed and wife contacted owner of said home and asked about renting it. Yes, she said. Later we gave her the two months rental deposit she requested. Move in date was flexible. Now that we are close to moving into the home she tells wife it's our ultimate goal to sell the home since we have moved to the new home. Really? With that understanding, we can throw you out at any time we get a sale contract for the home. Now that is really rich. So, lawyer friend said to get rental agreement in writing, I agree, as well as they can not throw you out in pursuit of selling it while it's being rented. Furthermore, the woman has not given us a receipt for the two months deposit we requested. So, has anyone else had similar experiences in renting property and the comments from a lawyer, are they correct?

Without a receipt or contract you are at the mercy of the landlord's good will. Always get a receipt. Do not hand over money without one. Even if it is just scrawled on a piece of paper. Hope this rental was inexpensive so you don't have much money on the line.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Furthermore, the woman has not given us a receipt for the two months deposit we requested.
How could she get the money, without you got the receipt??   :)   They are suppoused to be transfered at SAME time...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
How could she get the money, without you got the receipt??

It is very easy Thomas. My best guess is that the person "appeared to be" honest, or "I don't have  my receipt book with me" or "I am in a hurry, ill drop the receipt off later". Unlike some of us jaded veterans of the Philippines, most people tend to trust those that they have build up a relationship  with.

This falls into the category of Live and Learn

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
How could she get the money, without you got the receipt??      They are suppoused to be transfered at SAME time...

Most landlords will either give no receipt or just a scrap of paper with a number scrawled on it.  When I was new I asked the same question as you.  The answer I got was something like:  If you want an official receipt then the rent goes up because I must pay BIR when I give you an official receipt.  You quickly learn to stop asking silly questions.

Now some out there will quote a bunch of laws and Internet links to say the landlords cannot do this.  I say they still can and they still do, regardless of what you see posted on line.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

How could she get the money, without you got the receipt??

It is very easy Thomas. My best guess is that the person "appeared to be" honest, or "I don't have  my receipt book with me" or "I am in a hurry, ill drop the receipt off later". Unlike some of us jaded veterans of the Philippines, most people tend to trust those that they have build up a relationship  with.

This falls into the category of Live and Learn

How could she get the money, without you got the receipt??      They are suppoused to be transfered at SAME time...

Most landlords will either give no receipt or just a scrap of paper with a number scrawled on it.  When I was new I asked the same question as you.  The answer I got was something like:  If you want an official receipt then the rent goes up because I must pay BIR when I give you an official receipt.  You quickly learn to stop asking silly questions.

Now some out there will quote a bunch of laws and Internet links to say the landlords cannot do this.  I say they still can and they still do, regardless of what you see posted on line.

I know in TAX situations an OFFICIAL receipt is needed   - so I understand some landlords don't want to give SUCH  :mocking:   -

but as a proof of PAY it can be enough with a piece of paper.    I wouldn't pay without geting at least a paper. If they refuse to give a PAPER, I would asume they plan to scam me...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  Anyone remember one of these "The rent Book" well have a good Look or save it cos you ain't ever going to get one here :no:  If you Do then you are Lucky and maybe you could let us see it. post-2148-0-83891000-1435927074_thumb.jp

JP  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My landlady has an aversion to giving out receipts... So now, when I pay my rent in cash? I video my giving her the money with my cellphone... Funny how the camera fits just outside my shirt pocket!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I video my giving her the money with my cellphone... Funny how the camera fits just outside my shirt pocket!

No kidding here Bob but is that Legal