Bi Launches Long-Stay Visa

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Guys, why all the negativity? The six months visa wasn't what the Department of Tourism wanted. The original proposal was a 180 days visa waiver, which would be similar to the United States visa waiver program with 36 other countries. If you have an American passport, you can travel to 36 countries and stay for six months without a visa. The latest country expected to join this reciprocal program is South Korea. They won't do it with the Philippines. Can you imagine the millions who would travel to the United States from the Philippines and "disappear" after six months? 

Look at the positive side. It cuts down the number of trips to a BI office. If you use runners to get the extensions, the new stickers include security features that lowers the risks of a fake rubber stamp. I heard a story of German tourists who used the concierge service at their hotel to get visa extensions. They learned the rubber stamps were fraudulent when they attempted to exit the country. Someone probably kept the visa fees and service charges. Any street corner rubber stamp maker could probably make a better stamp than the one used by immigration officers.

So what if the fee increased by P100 for the sticker. That's the price for a couple beers, which will contribute to your weight gain. So what if the six months visas are only available from the BI Intramuros office. It will take time to get the program launch nationwide. In time, other BI offices will issue it.

I am sure there will be other problems in its implementation, but this is the first positive step. Enjoy. We shouldn't spend too much time bitching about it. We should save that for later when the program is a success and the BI decides to increase fees by 50%. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Reading the notices i have not seen where it is only in Manila, but this thread indicates that it is so.  Are we sure that is correct?  I would love to get one in Iloilo.

Look at number 5 in the picture JGF posted of the memo.  Initially only available in Intramuros, Manila.

Why will it only be available in Manila?  Is there too much corruption in the other areas to trust them?  Is the cost so high that only rich people in Manila can afford it?  There has to be a reason so why don't they tell us?

Initialy.  I hope it will be everywhere when I move there  :)

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

My novia called the Cebu BI yesterday.....

Whoever it was she spoke with confirmed.......the 6 month visa will be available there, along with the normal 59 day version.

No mention of the costs involved.

What is clear as mud, is can a tourist leave the country during that 6 month period and then come back again, under that same visa?.....assuming there is time left on that visa.

She was told some mumbo jumbo from the agent, that it all depends on the tourists country of residence.

Say what??

Indeed.....no matter the lingering questions about this.....it is a positive step forward for the BI.

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
What is clear as mud, is can a tourist leave the country during that 6 month period and then come back again, under that same visa?.....assuming there is time left on that visa.  

You can't do that with a 2 month visa so not likely with a 6 month. Unless they come out with a 6 month multiple entry visa like Canada does for 3000p. If you are going to dream, dream big!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You can't do that with a 2 month visa so not likely with a 6 month. Unless they come out with a 6 month multiple entry visa like Canada does for 3000p. If you are going to dream, dream big!

Yes, multiple entry is unlikely.  You will need to plan your International travels around the visa length, whenever possible.  Some people never travel so the 6 months should be good for them.

dalidali
Posted
Posted

A wild guess........your right!!

My current plans are to stay in Cebu for 75 days and I MUST get back to the USA for my son's wedding.

21 day on arrival and a 59 day extension will work for me this time.

Future plans have me going back to Cebu within that 6 month time frame, and an additional entry on that 6 month visa would work out well.

A single or multiple re-entry, 6 month visa WOULD be a great thing if the BI or other political entities could see fit to implement this.

Stay positive!!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Exactly, the 6 month visa doesn't make any sense for me unless it allows multiple entry's since I plan on traveling around asia some.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Applicable visa extension fees shall still be collected based on the schedule of fees for the entire six (6) month period.

Yes but which six month period are they talking about because the cost of extensions varies according to how long the visitor has been in-country.

What is the benefit of this and how will it increase tourism - it's only available at Intramuros and there's no reduction in cost (in fact, an increase) over normal extensions?

I don't think it will be that complicated to figure out which fees apply during any part of your 16 month stay.  Yes, certain periods during your stay have different fees, but that should be easy to sort out.  They had a big wall hanging of fees in the Santa Rosa office that would be easy to transpose into columns (Excel-like).

As usual there are a whole lot of questions and absolutely NO answers ..... why make a wondrous news statement but provide NO details .... there are way to many variables with tons of different options to be explained .... like will you still be able to get the old style visas should you opt to .... because as OMW said he is going back before his 6 months would be up ..... hopefully it will just be an added visa besides the 21 day visa and not be replacing all those in between ....  :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

I never interpreted it to mean it would replace anything, especially since it is at only one office to start.  It is a new option.  If it won't work for you in the time frame you are working with, you can still do a one month or two month extension.

I think it should save some money for those who can use it.  Today I renewed for 60 days.

Monthly extension application fee:    300

Monthly extension fee                      1000

Certificate Fee                                   500

Legal Research Fee                            30

Express Lane Fee                             500

Express Lane Fee                             500

Total                                                2830

Now, for sake of example, assume that each 60 day extension in the 6 month period is the same fee schedule, without any special stuff that can come along, like ACR card, etc.   I would think that the 180 day fees will be as follows:

60 Days           180 days

Monthly extension application fee:    300      X 3            900

Monthly extension fee                      1000     X 3          3000

Certificate Fee                                   500    same          500

Legal Research Fee                            30    same            30

Express Lane Fee                             500    same          500

Express Lane Fee                             500    same          500

Total                                                2830                     5430

Now, assuming that logic applies (a huge assumption!) my 6 month visa will save me 3060:

3 X 2830 = 8490

Savings     3060

If this end up being true, you kinda also have a break even point after 4 months, so if you had to leave the country after 4 months, it would not sting much.

OK, shoot this theory full of holes!  I can take it!  I'm wearing my BP vest today!   :hystery:

And plus the 100 sticker fee as someone else pointed out, but save the 2 trips to the BI office.  YEAH

For me that is 600 in taxi fare and 1600 in my time (I pay myself 400 peso / hour X 4 hours including travel time).  TOTAL: 2200 + 2960 = 5160.  That is a lot of beer money for me to get fatter on.

A wild guess........your right!!

My current plans are to stay in Cebu for 75 days and I MUST get back to the USA for my son's wedding.

21 day on arrival and a 59 day extension will work for me this time.

Future plans have me going back to Cebu within that 6 month time frame, and an additional entry on that 6 month visa would work out well.

A single or multiple re-entry, 6 month visa WOULD be a great thing if the BI or other political entities could see fit to implement this.

Stay positive!!

Remember your first extension is 38 days in your calculations here.  Likely the 6 month visa will not work for the first extension?  It seems the way things are worded that it comes into play at the time of first month or 2 month extension.  ??? :th_hu:

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Why does everyone have to pay the Express Lane Fee even if they don't request it?  OnMyWay said he paid it 2 times when applying for a 59 day extension for a total of P1,000. We are being charged fees for services not requested so why would anyone think a new visa or program would save us money? I can't imagine the government doing anything to save us money so I will believe it after I see it.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

What is an express lane fee?  I have only done 4 extensions so far, but I have never heard of it.  Is it just something at offices with a line?  We have no line in Iloilo...