Race?

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

halo jakey ............... i miss you too - thats why i made an effort today  :D

seriously, just hectic at the moment plus im not exactly in the best of health - im getting old, fat and cranky  :devil:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Odd it has become a bad word, because it just come from the Spanish word for "black".

You mean "negro"? That is not a bad word.

I haven't MET any claiming it's a bad word, but according to what I hear at TV, some black Americans find it being a bad word and expect to be called "African Americans" instead.

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I haven't MET any claiming it's a bad word, but according to what I hear at TV, some black Americans find it being a bad word and expect to be called "African Americans" instead.

They must be very sensitive, and I think a lot are these days. Call me black, negro, colored, whatever, I don't care. I can tell when people say things with hate and as long as you don't say it with hate I am cool. Call me whatever.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

halo jakey ............... i miss you too - thats why i made an effort today  :D

seriously, just hectic at the moment plus im not exactly in the best of health - im getting old, fat and cranky  :devil:

Wow.....You just described me to a tee......

Jake
Posted
Posted

They must be very sensitive, and I think a lot are these days. Call me black, negro, colored, whatever, I don't care. I can tell when people say things with hate and as long as you don't say it with hate I am cool. Call me whatever.

Hello Whatever,

Unless the person is very skillful in hiding their body language, most of us can tell whether his or her spoken

language contains any animosity towards you.  I think in many cases, the locals will give us the snake eyes

because we are accompanied by a young and beautiful wife or GF.  And not because the color of your skin.  

Unless you encounter any skin head Filipinos (none), my course of action or reaction would be to stare at

them back, with a big smile.  It's a tactical move by telling them to go to hell without them realizing it.  

Have a good one big EL, respectfully -- Jake     

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

If we ever meet I will call you by your name. I have known and worked with many colors and nationalities but never saw any reason to call them anything except for their name. The only exception is on occasions the person color, nationality, height, weight or length of hair may be needed to describe the person to another person.  Its best to see everyone as a fellow human being and not judge them until you know their true character.

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

My Filipina-Chinese sister law tells me that K is suitable for me, a foreigner, because she is brown skinned and has a flat nose. The other day her father told her the same thing - she is unlucky that no Filipino will fall for her.

I suppose I will just have to make do with what I can get! 

Robertsparty5.jpg

"a poor thing, Sir, but mine own!" (Shakespeare!)

"The ( gentleman) doth protest too much, methinks."  Also by the bard

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My Filipina-Chinese sister law tells me that K is suitable for me, a foreigner, because she is brown skinned and has a flat nose. The other day her father told her the same thing - she is unlucky that no Filipino will fall for her.

I suppose I will just have to make do with what I can get! 

Robertsparty5.jpg

"a poor thing, Sir, but mine own!" (Shakespeare!)

"The ( gentleman) doth protest too much, methinks."  Also by the bard

Well here are all five sisters:

10325327_698147256928285_398709097404213

The official family beauty is Connie, extreme left, but the only one not currently spoken for is Rosalie, extreme right, who is a widow woman who teaches school. Her sister Mel next to her looks more mestiza but they are all full sisters - Rosalie is much more the outdoor type.

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
The official family beauty is Connie, extreme left,

Sorry but I have to disagree with the "consensus". You girl takes the cake.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

The official family beauty is Connie, extreme left,

Sorry but I have to disagree with the "consensus". You girl takes the cake.

It's interesting to see how different cultures view people's appearance, isn't it?

295826_198348583574824_795312315_n.jpg

Looking on the bright side, the fact that our ideal of beauty is different to that of many Filipinos is a good thing all round!

I would not cross the road for a "mestiza" type but I don't need to because fifty Filipinos will!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4