How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think there are two

All these things listed above? What's new? They can get you killed no matter what country you are in!

I think there are two items that are more particularly Filipino in the above list - one is "face" and what may flow from causing someone to lose face, and the other is the importance of even a little money when surrounded by people who have none.

The concept of "Face" is really nothing more than making a person feel belittled and insulted. And, for many people, that's good enough to kill someone. When you look at the many murders taking place around the world, that is often

I think there are two

All these things listed above? What's new? They can get you killed no matter what country you are in!

I think there are two items that are more particularly Filipino in the above list - one is "face" and what may flow from causing someone to lose face, and the other is the importance of even a little money when surrounded by people who have none.

The concept of "Face" is really nothing more than making a person feel belittled and insulted. And, for many people, that's good enough to kill someone. When you look at the many murders taking place around the world, that is often the reason why.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
That's like a Detroit native saying

Well, I am from San Diego, Ca. Born and raised. But I didn't go to Southeast San Diego (bloods and crips), I didn't go to Barrio Logan (MS 13), I didn't go to Spring Valley (skinheads). Here in the Philippines, I don't go to Tondo, I stay away from areas with lots of KTV's. I see a street with lots of young men hanging out, I pick a different route. (I walk 2-3 miles a day in my area).  I believe that you are correct when you list your major reasons for Expats getting into trouble. However I agree with Bob. Do any of those things anywhere humans live and you are just asking for trouble.

Women, Money or Face. Look really deep and you most likely will find not only will they get you in trouble, but they are the reasons Wars start.

Good topic :cheersty:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Larry, I agree that people should know what to realistically expect and how to prepare themselves. But i don't believe in fearmongering either. Not all foreigners are being targeted for murder but any new member to this forum would be induced to believe such by some of these posts.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Larry, I agree that people should know what to realistically expect and how to prepare themselves. But i don't believe in fearmongering either. Not all foreigners are being targeted for murder but any new member to this forum would be induced to believe such by some of these posts.

Bob, I think it is seldom a case of being targeted; much more often, I think, the killing is unplanned, and is a simple case of behaviour which provoked an unexpected and extremely violent response, because people are not really aware of the stresses that some Filipinos live under.

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

I messed up and watched the video of the 18 yr old kid that was shot in Davao in an internet cafe last week..

If anyone here that has watched the same video can explain how he could have avoided death...I`m all ears.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My general understanding of life in the Philippines is that most crimes are crimes of opportunity and not violent crimes. These people know what you may have in your pocket is 6 month pay for them. Don't flash your bling and cake. You are much, much more apt to fall victim to theft than violence and much less prone to any type of random act of violence in this society that is generally peaceful. My experience on several trips for extended stays tells me to follow all the common sense rules we all know-and like Bob says too...it's a universal subject not specific to any one country.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Larry, i think i owe you an apology - the term "fearmongering" was probably a little harsh. I have heard a few members on this site reacting to comments such as yours and and then stating that they weren't so sure they still wanted to move to the Philippines. The comments they heard though were not fair to them either.

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Showed wife this and she says Ormac is a scary place! She is from Southern Cotabato in Mindanao if that says anything!

I see Larry45 lists Ormac as his location. Anyway, always good information to reinforce "Pay Attention!"

Keep posting Larry. :tiphat:

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I believe the Phils is in a category by itself when it comes to being insulted and saving face . I have never heard or seen a culture so touchy about a simple slight to there feelings or about being publicly shamed(muslims may be the only others) . Many have died over very simple deeds . just a couple examples .

two men drinking arguing about whos mango trees produce better fruit  one guy hacks the other to death with a bolo

A 80 pound philipina slaps a rude drunk guy for touching her inappropriately he returns with a 45 cal and emptys it in her to save face .

Its the wild west still there is very little law and retribution is a way of life in fact most Pinoy believe revenge is a dish best served cold waiting years sometimes to pay back a old grudge  .

Do I feel unsafe in the RP not at all but I also realize life is very cheap 5000p will pay for a hit most places and your simple teasing could cost you your life . Crystal meth is rampant in use and its everywhere beware the druggies .

Very true - all of it.

I lived in Hong Kong for eight years and in Beijing for five.

The Chinese as we all know invented "face" but they are nowhere near as touchy as the Filipinos.

I would just like to emphasise the point about "shabu" - methamphetamine. It is in very widespread use - tricycle drivers and bus drivers use it to stay awake, and it is widely used "recreationally" because it increases sex drive. 

Users lose weight, their skin goes dull and their eyes appear unusually bright.

The reason for mentioning it here is that it increases feelings of paranoia, and for that reason it is often associated with grotesque levels of violence. 

• Like 3