How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

I messed up and watched the video of the 18 yr old kid that was shot in Davao in an internet cafe last week..

If anyone here that has watched the same video can explain how he could have avoided death...I`m all ears.

I watched that, too, and it is a very sad situation.  Of course, your argument has nothing to do with this thread about foreigners reducing their risk of murder, but if it was a foreigner sitting there in in the web cafe, I doubt he would have tried to hide himself like a little child, and likely would have at least put up a fight after watching the clerk get shot.  

Larry, i think i owe you an apology - the term "fearmongering" was probably a little harsh. I have heard a few members on this site reacting to comments such as yours and and then stating that they weren't so sure they still wanted to move to the Philippines. The comments they heard though were not fair to them either.

No apology needed, but thanks.  Just giving an honest representation of the country.  Lot's of foreigners are delusional with regards to personal safety, women, etc.

Showed wife this and she says Ormac is a scary place! She is from Southern Cotabato in Mindanao if that says anything!

I see Larry45 lists Ormac as his location. Anyway, always good information to reinforce "Pay Attention!"

Keep posting Larry. :tiphat:

Seems like all Filipinos think their place is safe and everywhere else is not.  Just another way of saving face, I guess.  Ormoc is actually a decent place and much safer than Tacloban or Cebu.  And, of course, I didn't draw my conclusions based solely upon Ormoc   :)

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's the latest murder victim.  Robbery doesn't seem to be the motive and as usual there are no suspects.  What would have saved this man's life?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/382763/news/regions/swiss-national-killed-in-surigao-city

"The report quoted resident Herbert Gibertas as saying he saw the victim lying on the ground at 8 a.m. Tuesday, while he was crossing a rice field to buy ice.

Investigation showed Mayer checked in at an inn at about 2:16 a.m. Monday. Mayer's body was found in a grassy area around 100 meters from the apartelle. Mayer’s backpack was found in his room.

Meanwhile, police are tracking down Mayer's companion, who checked in as “John Lennon” but is nowhere to be found."

The mortality amongst the Swiss in Mindanao is truly fearful...

(and, irrelevantly, there is only one reason why a Filipino buys ice at 8.00 am - he and his barkadas have been on the turps all night and are still drinking.. :unsure: .)
Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
2. Engaging in a public business. Not only does this draw extra attention to you, but it offends most Filipinos, who will think you are taking jobs from them. And you're likely to step on someone's toes along the way. Disgruntled US postal workers have nothing on disgruntled sari-sari employees. And money-lending is extremely dangerous and needs a post of it's own, but I will include it here.

I would suggest Foreigners should avoid the money lending business.

:1 (235): Or the name Singh. 

Or loaning money to family, or friends Filipinos and Foreigners alike.

Thanks everyone! This thread has been better than expected and I'm learning a lot. Please keep it coming! Now I'm headed down to my bar business with my gold-digging wife. Just realized my employees have been stealing from me, so I have to fire them all, and maybe rough a few of them up. Teach them a lesson. JUST KIDDING. But that sounds like a recipe for murder, and none of that pertains to me.

Yes. In the list in an other thread, unproportionaly many was killed

/being loan sharks

/or were bar related somehow  (owner, employed, customers.)

Concerning being murdered depending of having business  - except the loan sharks and bar   -  I know only these cases (but of course there can be more, because I don't know many of the motives and occupations of many of the victims)   :

/Huge hotels owner.

/Diving shop owner killed by his GUARD, when he didn't found it OK the guard showed up to work drunk and to late...

IF it's only that few in such a long list, then it seem not so much biger risk to have own business except loan sharks and bars.

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Seems like all Filipinos think their place is safe and everywhere else is not. Just another way of saving face, I guess. Ormoc is actually a decent place and much safer than Tacloban or Cebu. And, of course, I didn't draw my conclusions based solely upon Ormoc :)

Oh no no no, she does not quite feel safe in her home province at all. She is very worried about something happening to me. There are days when her family is afraid to even go to church on Sunday. Vice Mayor was recently shot and killed there.

I did not think Ormac was that bad when traveling thru there a few years ago. Wife was not with me to see first hand. Toured around with my brother in law. He is an officer in the Philippine Army. It was interesting talking to his commanding officer. They had a map of Samar and Leyte. He pointed out the realatively safe area's to go. Also pointed out where not to go.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Australian hotel manager killed whilst drinking with his boss, the owner, at the hotel barby gunman who walked in shot him and walked out - I have heard it said that he was having an affair  with one of his staff members.

Alby
Posted
Posted

The way I think of it is, we Kanos come to PI to retire and not do any business. Those problems happen when one interacts with a local(s) for whatever reason.

What would one expect from interactions with a non educated person who initially resents him?

This can happen any where by the way.

Resentment coupled with lack of education then add alcohol or drugs to it and you get a powder keg :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I would suggest Foreigners should avoid the money lending business.  Or the name Singh. 

Not necessarily, Apparently, being Swiss this Month will be enough  post-2148-0-32190900-1412846264.jpg

say No More ! happyno.gif

JP :tiphat:  :rolleyes: