How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Carl, I have a friend in northern Negros near San Carlos who have a meager SS pension that lives with his wife in a small apartment. They are always barely getting by and there have been a few times I had to come to his rescue just so he could get to his next SS payment into his account. His issue is that his wife's family has always got issues that come up and it burns a hole in his pocket almost every month. He's close to them and can't turn away when there's a desperate need. But based on your other post that compares what you have and don't have and how it boils down to true happiness-like my friend-love of family, the closeness of family-you can't put a price on that.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I no longer have a Credit Card! Ha, now that was a very steep learning curve believe me, and sometimes I wish (secretly) that I had at least one, in case of emergencies. In the UK, I had 9! and one you could see through and had no limit!

I no longer wear any jewelry, including rings or even a watch! (one is no longer required if you follow Filipino Time), and I have an alarm clock so get up in time to go to work.  Sorry I forgot I do wear a cross around my neck, (not gold but wood) given to me by my wife, which she purchased at our daughters baptism.

I can't afford expensive clothes anymore.

I don't carry a wallet, (I have nothing to put in it!) well I do have my Philippine drivers licence, by postal ID, my ACR card, my Robinsons discount card, my Philhealth card, etc etc, but as they are all sealed or plastic, I simply carry them in my pocket!

I no longer own anything in any other country.

I only have a Philippine bank account, and there is not much in there believe me!

I seldom go out to the bars anymore, (after all I do live in Angeles), and when I do drink with friends, they are mostly Filipino and usually at their house upon invitation. (they get insulted when I bring the beers, so now I bring the food!)

Most Filipinos I know are in fact smarter than I am, they have University degrees and speak several languages! (they usually tell me how Fu---ed up this country is, while I sit and listen.)

I have to admit, I probably look more like a monkey than any of them do, after all I have considerably more hair!

It is true, that I rarely smile (compared to almost all the Filipinos I know), and I'm not too sure why that is, I guess I have not appreciated life enough yet.

I do walk around in the dark, however that is usually pushing my daughters trike with her in it, and I never cover my head at night, only during the day to stop the bald spots from getting sun burnt!

For what ever reason I do seem to have more patience now a days, less seems to bother me! (with the exception of traffic here in the Philippines), but I swear less, (my daughter is in the car usually), and only complain to myself, grumbling like the old man that I am, or simply laugh to myself, wondering how so many people are still alive while driving the way they do!

In regards to sex...., well I have no complaints with the 1 (one) girl that I have, (although I am not sure she could say the same about me!) and I did marry that one!

I do lock my door, or in fact if I am being honest, it is my wife who locks all the windows and doors each night, I have always felt safe where we live, and frequently forget to do, what I always did, while living in Canada and the UK or any other country!

I guess that at least contributes to why I am still alive!

Not worth murdering I guess!

Lucky me!

Papa Carl

Hi Carl,

Thank you for sharing with us and for going over all of the things I mentioned in my post.  Sounds like you don't have anything to worry about when it comes to your safety.  My guess is there are very few foreigners in the Philippines who are in your situation.  Most foreigners I have met have one or more risky behaviors which puts their life in danger.

Phillip

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
His issue is that his wife's family has always got issues that come up and it burns a hole in his pocket almost every month. He's close to them and can't turn away when there's a desperate need.

Two Germans have been killed here because they were not helping the family and the neighbours. The comments were "He was not nice. He did not help me" There were no reports in the news nor in that previous post in another topic showing the murders of expats for the past 3 years. In one case, the wife was detained for a few days, then released as no victim's family came to file charges. She sold the contents for 10k, then the house and has some beachfront property for sale at a good price. The other one already has another foreigner. 

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Two Germans have been killed here because they were not helping the family and the neighbours. The comments were "He was not nice. He did not help me" 

Yes, I have heard this many times when the locals are referring to a foreigner, "He is a very good man.  Very generous."  As if those two qualities are mutually exclusive.  Unfortunately, a lot of Filipinos do view us in terms of how much we are helping them.  But it's up to each of us to set our own boundaries for that.  On the other hand, there's always the opportunity to buy allies here, at a very affordable price.  

• Like 3

komments
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone!  This thread has been better than expected and I'm learning a lot.  Please keep it coming!  Now I'm headed down to my bar business with my gold-digging wife.   Just realized my employees have been stealing from me, so I have to fire them all, and maybe rough a few of them up. Teach them a lesson.  JUST KIDDING.  But that sounds like a recipe for murder, and none of that pertains to me.  I'm taking my daughter to the playground and then we are shopping for a Christmas tree!  I'm doing everything right and if I get murdered today, I'm really gonna be pissed.  It might even ruin this thread. :)

Now THAT is some funny stuff.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts on this, and that's what we want...hell, I'm the forum newbie and should probably STFU and learn from you guys :)

Also as a newbie,

Would the fact that most foreigners are looked upon as being rich, be a factor?

After all "Money is the root of all evil".......JB

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Papa Carl

Hi Carl,

In regards to "not having anything to worry about", well I can only hope, as we all know...., anything can happen here, and usually when you least expect it, but I am trying to stay "out of the limelight" and hoping that will allow me to be around at least until my daughter gets married. ( hopefully that will not be until she is in her mid to late 20's, so only another 20 to 25 years to go!)

Papa Carl

Hopefully I will still be around to accept the invite cheers

Edited by Kuya John

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts on this, and that's what we want...hell, I'm the forum newbie and should probably STFU and learn from you guys :)

Also as a newbie,

Would the fact that most foreigners are looked upon as being rich, be a factor?

After all "Money is the root of all evil".......JB

Er.... yes.