How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well, I am off to Zamboanga del Sur for Christmas; it is a place where I am not meant to be going but I am worth more to the family alive than dead.

Methersgate,

Enjoy the festive season, I have never been at Christmas time, but Christmas in Philippines starts in September and finishes around February. :cheersty:

I know! The firecrackers on New Year's Eve are not soon forgotten! 

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

Tell me about it I am here now in the Philippines visiting family and every where I go XMAS decorations are forsale and some have them up in there homes. And the XMAS music so soon

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

This thread is not the brightest thing to read of a morning,

"Why stay then" is a good point. If I had to put bars on my windows, keep guard dogs, never go out without protection, what would be the point of living anywhere.

In the 14 years I have been visiting Philippines,  I have only felt threatened once and that was in Gagayan de Oro, Mindanao.

When I first visited in 2000, the British Government were advising against travel to Philippines. Fortunately I never felt threatened, now I am more cautious it's true, but I still look forward to my visits. By the way I dont take chances, even at night in UK.

When I go out for a stroll it is always alone unfortunately the family see it different.  So I go out 2 minutes later I am followed.  The game now is for me to spot the protectors and for them not to be spotted.  Its getting quite boring so I've told them stop or I will leave not that I will I enjoy it to much.  I have no worries about walking about here I also have no bars on my windows or guard dogs apart from the whole barangay seems to know who should be there.  I don't know if anyone else has heard it but "its to difficult " meaning dangerous gets really boring 

• Like 4

happypig2000
Posted
Posted

I myself had a little business, actually 3  all in Cebu, back in 1999 right before the millenium i opened a little eating establishment on jones avenue, near fuente circle. it was called the Happy pig, thought of the name myself.. basic food employed a family member as cook, had Lechon baboy every day out front...problems with family eventually forced me to sell the place to the guy who owns Persian palate, he ran it for a while under his brand then closed. anyway the point being i insisted on being in the restaurant all...the time...running it like i did in the usa ...well it perhaps was not the greatest idea, sure when i opened i did alot of cheap advertising, mostly paper fliers, and was packed out every day and night, but i also got into several dangerous situations, foolish on my part, i was a little younger then......one night a patron from Sammys Pochero  next door came into my place and picked a fight with a customer of mine, kind of fancied myself as a Wyatt Earp  so of course i felt obligated to break up the fight, lol  the guy had a serious looking knife, which he brandished,  well guess i am just plain lucky i stopped the fight and the guys last words as he left was, i will kill you foreigner ....another time a filippino parked right in front of my restaurant blocking the view of my Lechon,  i politely asked him to move his vehicle and he responded by opening his trunk and coming at me with a baseball bat......nothing really bad happened, i caught the big end of the bat with my hands and we just knid of wrestled for a few minutes, then one of my staff shouted he had called the cops and the guy left really fast....another day in the life of a restaurantier....personally much preffered the building business  not so many irate members of the public to deal with,

• Like 3

happypig2000
Posted
Posted

well you know what i have always believed ..... If there is no fear in the heart then no danger can exist.   always put my faith in that, i have been in so many dangerous situations but guess i keep my guardian angel on her toes .

• Like 4

komments
Posted
Posted

I am hoping to be in Manila on Christmas Day then flying to Cebu on the 27th.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

With common sense as my best friend, a desire for an unassuming retired lifestyle, a good positive attitude, a supportive trusting "family-in law", an understanding of the negative aspects of Filipinos and how to avoid it, a well secured home, and a good sharp mind, I think I will take my chances-as I take my chances here daily in the US every day.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

MORAL of safety:

" Never be in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time, saying the Wrong Things to the Wrong People. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

To add to Jack P's excellent advice above, don't be an innocent bystander, if you are not fully involved  / required in whatever it is, your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

This thread is not the brightest thing to read of a morning,

"Why stay then" is a good point. If I had to put bars on my windows, keep guard dogs, never go out without protection, what would be the point of living anywhere.

In the 14 years I have been visiting Philippines,  I have only felt threatened once and that was in Gagayan de Oro, Mindanao.

When I first visited in 2000, the British Government were advising against travel to Philippines. Fortunately I never felt threatened, now I am more cautious it's true, but I still look forward to my visits. By the way I dont take chances, even at night in UK.

I also have no bars on my windows or guard dogs apart from the whole barangay seems to know who should be there.  I don't know if anyone else has heard it but "its to difficult " meaning dangerous gets really boring 

I can assure you there are places in PI that do have Bars on windows, guard dogs for protection and also personal hand guns, and in some cases bodyguards.

It just depends where and how you live your life there!