How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Being Swiss this is somewhat unsettling, there are not that many of us after all!

Is there a crime map of sorts of the Phils with the dodgiest areas coloured dark red?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
As requested. Different things on different days But

Just toooo flipping funny,,,but true :hystery:

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Here's the latest murder victim.  Robbery doesn't seem to be the motive and as usual there are no suspects.  What would have saved this man's life?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/382763/news/regions/swiss-national-killed-in-surigao-city

From the initial news reports, the whole town seemed to know that he had a huge wad of cash in his pocket.  He certainly didn't deserve to be killed, but showing a bit of discretion and flying under the radar would have benefited him.  

The way I think of it is, we Kanos come to PI to retire and not do any business. Those problems happen when one interacts with a local(s) for whatever reason.

What would one expect from interactions with a non educated person who initially resents him?

This can happen any where by the way.

Resentment coupled with lack of education then add alcohol or drugs to it and you get a powder keg :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of the best synopsis I've read on this topic, and I agree completely.  Well done.  

I didn't start this thread to scare people away from the Philippines.  If you mind your own business here, respect the locals, and don't draw extra attention to yourself, you can have a happy retirement or extended visit here, and enjoy all the perks.  :)  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Those problems happen when one interacts with a local(s) for whatever reason.

I interact quite often----BUT in a smart way I believe. The wife and I were hermano/Hermana at the barangay fiesta. We attend the local church, try to buy lots of every day stuff from local vendors etc etc. I just don't loan money, or try to appear in competition with anyone.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Those problems happen when one interacts with a local(s) for whatever reason.

I interact quite often----BUT in a smart way I believe. The wife and I were hermano/Hermana at the barangay fiesta. We attend the local church, try to buy lots of every day stuff from local vendors etc etc. I just don't loan money, or try to appear in competition with anyone.

Hi Scott....you quoted the previous poster's words there.  But I cannot say I disagree with the quote.

I think you will find that most foreigners have made some effort to immerse themselves into the culture here, but many of them realized it wasn't for them.  The novelty of it all just wears off after a while.  That doesn't make them bad people, as long as they are still respectful and decent.  My best friend here is Filipino and he's coming for lunch tomorrow, to watch the MotoGP, and talk about our project.  He just texted me and asked what he should bring.    I told him, "It's up to You".  What I know he won't bring, is freeloaders and bags to take home leftovers.   We all IMMERSE in our own way. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Filipino burglars look nothing like German loiters, from any angle.  And wife bolting immediately?  .

The wife was German and only spoke German, besides being traumatized she probably was scared and the language barrier would not of helped at all.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think the only thing you left out is that you should do this in Zamboanga city Mindanao.

• Like 2