How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Simple answer: I won't go into a Filipino night club (which she-who-must-be-obeyed and I both like doing) without a couple of large and fit Filipino friends / relations. I don't see a need to visit Tondo, etc., but if I did the same rule would apply.   

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have just discovered how lucky I am. 6 months ago when I started to spend time here in Pasay two trike drivers decided I was a good target. Fortunately they mentioned their plans to one of the other trike drivers who is Grace's cousin. He passed it on and the two guys were spoken to by the family. When 25% of the barangay is the family I am now quite safe. Though I still have to walk about with my 3 protectors.

I have to wonder how many of you guys currently living there feel the need for "protectors" when out of your home?

A couple of decades ago I lived the Philippines for five years. My wife and I still visit every few years and I've never felt like I needed "protectors". I believe I have a good feel for where to go and what to avoid, you know basic common sense stuff. Although oftentimes I have others with me, if I feel like taking a walk on the beach or catch a trike to the market I've never felt the need to bring a few bodyguards. I wouldn't want to live like that. BTW my wife and I plan to retire there in 2014. Maybe it depends a lot on where we choose to live.

How many of you feel like you need "protectors" when you go out?

"BTW my wife and I plan to retire there in 2014"

Hi BulesDude,

Do you realize its already 2014 and in just 2 months and 6 days it will be 2015?  You better hurry up if you are moving here this year.

"How many of you feel like you need "protectors" when you go out?"

I don't feel like I need protectors when I go out but when its dark and the drug addicts are out I move quickly and don't wait to get stabbed in the back.

For those who think you are safer living close to your wife's family so they can protect you, I believe if you could check the statics for foreigners murdered in the Philippines most of them were murdered by their wife's or girlfriend's family and there's a simple reason for this.  If a strange murders you he or she can only get the money or possessions that you have on you, but if a wife or girlfriend's family murders you then she and her family get everything you have and own.  So what if her family seems like very nice people, it only takes one crazy or greedy person to kill you.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Yes, Americano, many murders are inside jobs for those reasons (that they can get more money from you when you are dead than they can while you are alive). Whether to live close to the family or not is a tough decision. A fish vendor was stabbed in the back here yesterday when he refused to give money to a beggar. When you live among strangers, you cannot trust anyone.

For me, I seldom go out in this wonderful, peaceful place and when I do, I am never alone or at night. My nephew, a PO1 stays with us and another  nearby is a security guard. They call him Rambo. I do not feel safe here at all. I only know about 100 people and I have heard from them of about 10 murders each year nearby. Life is cheap here and penalties are rare.

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I used the term protector rather than bodyguard as they are there to protect me from myself.  They all know that if someone tried to rob me I would fight back.  They are there to stop me fighting back and probably being murdered.  The protectors when I spot them are females and kids.  I go for a walk and I am followed by 2 or 3 of the family. I am worth more alive than dead as all my money is sat in the UK which they have no access to.

• Like 4

komments
Posted
Posted

Yes, Americano, many murders are inside jobs for those reasons (that they can get more money from you when you are dead than they can while you are alive). Whether to live close to the family or not is a tough decision. A fish vendor was stabbed in the back here yesterday when he refused to give money to a beggar. When you live among strangers, you cannot trust anyone.

For me, I seldom go out in this wonderful, peaceful place and when I do, I am never alone or at night. My nephew, a PO1 stays with us and another  nearby is a security guard. They call him Rambo. I do not feel safe here at all. I only know about 100 people and I have heard from them of about 10 murders each year nearby. Life is cheap here and penalties are rare.

Then why stay?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Then why stay?

post-2148-0-42521300-1414205927_thumb.jp Hmmmmmmmmmmm Somewhat Loaded Question there My friend.  headache.gif

JP :tiphat: guiness.gif( Soon be my beer time ) :thumbsup:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Then why stay?

I don't stay. Read.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

This thread is not the brightest thing to read of a morning,

"Why stay then" is a good point. If I had to put bars on my windows, keep guard dogs, never go out without protection, what would be the point of living anywhere.

In the 14 years I have been visiting Philippines,  I have only felt threatened once and that was in Gagayan de Oro, Mindanao.

When I first visited in 2000, the British Government were advising against travel to Philippines. Fortunately I never felt threatened, now I am more cautious it's true, but I still look forward to my visits. By the way I dont take chances, even at night in UK.

Edited by Kuya John

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well, I am off to Zamboanga del Sur for Christmas; it is a place where I am not meant to be going but I am worth more to the family alive than dead.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Well, I am off to Zamboanga del Sur for Christmas; it is a place where I am not meant to be going but I am worth more to the family alive than dead.

Methersgate,

Enjoy the festive season, I have never been at Christmas time, but Christmas in Philippines starts in September and finishes around February. :cheersty: 

• Like 1